WnSoft Forums

Apply trim of video clips to the published EXE

Tom,

I agree that there is already a trim function in PTE. But it doesn't physically discard the unused frames. The entire video clip (expressed in MBytes) is included within the EXE file created from the project. What I am proposing is that, at the point of creating the EXE file, the unwanted frames should be physically discarded, thus keeping the final size of the EXE file under control, and no bigger than it needs to be.

Peter

It works for me. The trimmed video is shorter in time than the original. File size is determined by resolution, bitrate, codec, profile, and many other options. It may or may not be smaller in size than the original. Maybe you are looking at the video options inside of objects and animation instead of using the convert video clip option.

Tom,

If I let PTE convert the video clip the result does not look as sharp or as smooth as if I use the original. And, yes, I was using the Properties tab fields in O&A to do the trimming of the "original" file. I've found something that works - using the original file. I'm now searching around to see if anything else gives a better quality and/or reduces the overall file size of the EXE. Having PTE "discard" the off-cut frames would reduce the EXE file size without compromising the quality I get by using the original video file.

If you are saying that I can trim at the point of conversion by PTE, then I need to investigate that option. This "video" business is proving to be a long and complicated learning curve!

Peter

Where is this Crop function, Dave? When I drop in a video clip, PTE offers me the option to Optimise. This normally works very well, even with MOV files output from my Canon 5D (PTE uses AVI); so far I've always pre-edited in another programme (there is a separate Forum discussion on this).

I think most of us are learning here - but we must persist. Remember how painful learning Photoshop was 15 years ago? Well video options are a lot more complex than stills, so it's not surprising it hurts a bit.

Incidentally, Canon have been making movie cameras for decades whereas Nikon are relatively new to the game. I believe the D300 did not include a movie function but Nikon woke up soon after and introduced movie functionality with the D300s. Apparently the movie function in the new D800 Nikon is excellent. So we're not the only ones learning!

Right click on a movie (in the File List) and select CONVERT.

Tick the CROP Bullet and the usual markers are available.

I have tried both this one and the one in ViewNX2 and I'm leaning toward VNX2. It saves in MOV format and has the added benefit of being able to change the frame rate (if required).

DG

post-2488-0-36863400-1333990833_thumb.jp

post-2488-0-99086500-1333991187_thumb.jp

post-2488-0-21659600-1333991193_thumb.jp

Thanks Dave and Tom.

Cropping a Full HD .mov file from 18 seconds to 10 seconds and moving the slider to 100% Quality seems to work perfectly when inserted into a PTE file with still images.

There is no jerkiness or apparent loss of quality when played back and the fades from still to video to still are excellent.

Robert

Hi Dave

I've tried KFSD in Google and it's either

1 the call-sign for Joe Foss Field Airport, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

or 2 a genetic disorder called keratosis follicularis spinulosa decalvans

or 3 the Kuwait Fire Services Directorate

Either way I'm pretty nervous about inserting video into AV and I think I'll hang back until there's a safer option. :)

Robert

Main window, bottom right: Keep full slide duration. This is a new option that has been discussed several times, and some people, including myself regard it as rather useless. The acronym KFSD (perhaps created by davegee) is happily used by some people, although it occasionally leads to some confusion.

Regards,

Xaver