Year: June 2010.

Aspect ratio: 16:10.

Screen resolution: 1680x1050.

Videos: N/A

Size of file: 47.75 Mbs.

Run time: 2:35.

Manual control (yes/no): Yes.

Camera and lens: Canon EOS 5D.

Any other info that you can provide: Many years ago as a student, my teacher, an Architect, told me of three places of Architectural significance I should visit.

The Parthenon on Acropolis in Athens was one such site.

He insisted I take note of the gently curving plinth; 'entasis' the application of a convex curve to a surface for aesthetic purposes was the thing that touched him most. I was overwhelmed by that fact that all this was built with basic hand tools.

PS, the week I chose to go, was right in the middle of the Greek riots and that volcano in Iceland.

Download Here

Comments welcome

Year: June 2010.

Aspect ratio: 16:10.

Screen resolution: 1680x1050.

Videos: N/A

Size of file: 47.75 Mbs.

Run time: 2:35.

Manual control (yes/no): Yes.

Camera and lens: Canon EOS 5D.

Any other info that you can provide: Many years ago as a student, my teacher, an Architect, told me of three places of Architectural significance I should visit.

The Parthenon on Acropolis in Athens was one such site.

He insisted I take note of the gently curving plinth; 'entasis' the application of a convex curve to a surface for aesthetic purposes was the thing that touched him most. I was overwhelmed by that fact that all this was built with basic hand tools.

PS, the week I chose to go, was right in the middle of the Greek riots and that volcano in Iceland.

Download Here

Comments welcome

=============================

Morturn,

Well done. Beautiful photography and music. Reminds me of our trip to Athens over 35 years ago.

Oh...and I like your listing of the descriptors for your slideshow! :D

Gary

Dave -

Great sequence of images. I never get tired of pictures of the old world ruins. Like Paul, I would've liked to see more. I remember comments that you have made regarding slideshow length which is usually shorter is better. I don't always agree and in the case of this show, it was way too short, IMHO of coarse. ;)

Greg

Hi and thank you for your input, good advice as always.

I agree, it is a bit on the short side, I was making a balance between just the city of Athens and some of the islands. In the end I thought I would do the Islands as a separate show, because they are very different in character.

Thanks again

It is a nice show. As there is no narration or anything else that guides the audience, the chosen length is OK. A few critical points (if you like to read them): Either get rid of the white border or make it darker. I do not like that much the white T-shirt on the image at the start. It seems to me that some images suffer a little bit from being cropped. The music is fine, and in most cases, the transitions follow the metric structure of the music, but there are several bad synchronizations.

Best regards,

Xaver

It is a nice show. As there is no narration or anything else that guides the audience, the chosen length is OK. A few critical points (if you like to read them): Either get rid of the white border or make it darker. I do not like that much the white T-shirt on the image at the start. It seems to me that some images suffer a little bit from being cropped. The music is fine, and in most cases, the transitions follow the metric structure of the music, but there are several bad synchronizations.

Best regards,

Xaver

I thinks that's a fair cop about the white tee shirt, I was being a bit lazy and will certainly take a look at the synchronizations.

I have always done, because I prefer a white border and felt that it contained the image. However with full screen slideshows I am wondering if they add anything now; need to think that one over.

Thanks for your input

I thinks that's a fair cop about the white tee shirt, I was being a bit lazy and will certainly take a look at the synchronizations.

I have always done, because I prefer a white border and felt that it contained the image. However with full screen slideshows I am wondering if they add anything now; need to think that one over.

Thanks for your input

Dave - I enjoyed watching this, the music goes well and I particularly liked the way it started and finished. Yes, the synchs are out but that's something I struggle with too, and I think maybe slower fades would have been better IMHO. It's good to see a show from you again.

Maureen

When talking about the white border, I normally refer to this post.

Regards,

Xaver

Thanks for your input

==========================

Morturn,

The first thing I did when I watched the show was to place my hand over the 'white tee shirt' guy to see what it would be if it was cropped out. I think if the image can be cropped, it would give a more intimate feeling. In that vein, I would probably remove the image with all the tourist in it. I know it is almost impossible to take a full image of such a site without tourist. But by removing the 'white tee shirt' guy and the 'tourist' image, I think it will save the intimate mood throughout the show.

I did not mind the thin white border. In my recent show of Phuket's Night Market, I put each of the videos in thin white borders because it helped to separate the video from the background image and make it stand out better. Probably I am comparing apples with oranges, but I am kind of liking the thin white borders now. I did not notice any 'sync' issues because the music was so mellow, I didn't see any reason for 'sync' being needed.

And, yes...too short, but I liked it.

Gary

... I did not notice any 'sync' issues because the music was so mellow, I didn't see any reason for 'sync' being needed...

The music has a very noticeable rhythm. It either has three-four time or six-eight time. Let the show run without looking at the images and try to conduct (or count the beats) in groups of three beats. You will notice the strong positions inside the music (typically beat 1). Once you have managed that, conduct again and look at the positions of the transitions. Good luck :)

Best regards,

Xaver