WnSoft Forums

Making the sound better on an iMAC

At the moment I use a 'Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS' to enhance the sound quality on my Windows XP system and the sound produced by this is excellent.

I recently purchased an iMac 27" and the first thing I noticed was that the sound (although good) just did not match up to the Audigy2 system.

I am wondering if there is similar hardware available for the Mac? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Ron.

At the moment I use a 'Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS' to enhance the sound quality on my Windows XP system and the sound produced by this is excellent.

I recently purchased an iMac 27" and the first thing I noticed was that the sound (although good) just did not match up to the Audigy2 system.

I am wondering if there is similar hardware available for the Mac? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

The builtin speakers aren't that great. Have you tried external speakers? the iMac has optical out as well as normal audio out.

If you want extra hardware, the Griffin iMic is cheap and works fairly well. It works on PCs too. The Apogee Duet is decent and the Echo AudioFire is also.

Ronnie,

Just to be sure, are you using the external PC speaker system with the imac?

Or are you referencing the imac via it's own speakers,in comparison to the PC sound system?

If it's via the imac speakers try hooking up to the PC speakers instead.

If you need a new speaker setup on the cheap, that old circa 1970s amp and speakers that are hiding

in the loft can work wonders. Have to keep them out of sight though.

I know you mac guys are all about style. B)

For critical listening you could try a good quality set of monitor headphones (keeps the neighbours happy too).

Davy

Hi Davy,

You said:

Or are you referencing the imac via it's own speakers,in comparison to the PC sound system?

If it's via the imac speakers try hooking up to the PC speakers instead.

Yes I am referring to the internal speakers on the iMac.

I don't think that I can hook up the PC system to the MAC because I have the Creative Audigy sound system and this

requires a sound card inserted into an internal PCI slot within the PC itself.

The only connection on the Mac is a standard output jack on the rear.

Ron.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...