WnSoft Forums

Black border on top MP4

Comoz

I am screen recording 854 X 480 and outputting in the same size. The video looks good, but the MP4 has this black section on top of the video. This does not happen if I choose Screencast for uploading, but I need this in MP4. Thanks

post-11634-0-42550400-1342161091_thumb.j

You are capturing at a very non-standard aspect ratio. 854x480 does not fit any of the accepted "standard" aspect ratios (4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 3:2, 16:10). Depending on how you set up the parameters for your MP4 create, you have most likely produced 16:9 as the output aspect ratio. You will always have black borders somewhere when your source aspect ratios and your output aspect ratios are not identical.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

I am screen recording 854 X 480 and outputting in the same size. The video looks good, but the MP4 has this black section on top of the video. This does not happen if I choose Screencast for uploading, but I need this in MP4. Thanks

What aspect ratio did you set in project options, needs to be the same as the clip to prevent black borders.

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

post-5560-0-45801300-1342169131_thumb.jp

I have just redone the video on 640x385 and Camtasia is still putting the black border at the top?

Thanks for your suggestions. I have just been on Lynda.com and see that they have the same issue. I have tried viewing in a square screen and a modern laptop, same result

Comoz

In Camtasia, if your mixing various videos they must be all me the same resolution and format. Recently I selected an intro to a video I was creating in Camtasia and then added a number of other takes to that intro the same as I had done many times before. I was a bit baffled when the resulting video showed black borders top and bottom. When the penny finally dropped I realised that my short intro video (tacked on the front) was the wrong one and not the same resolution as the others.

As you mentioned Camtasia, could that be the cause of your problem ?

I am screen recording 854 X 480 and outputting in the same size.

I owe you an apology. Those dimensions are "almost" 16x9 aspect ratio. The width should actually be 853.333 recurring. But we cannot have partial pixels.

So, let's start again... Which Publish option did you use to create your MP4 file? Which options within that did you choose? Remember, we cannot see what you are doing so: the more detail the better.

regards,

Peter