WnSoft Forums

A problem with sound added to a video clip

fh1805

Please share the joke?

Also please tell us how you approach these matters so that we might all benefit from your experiences?

I just said that I am amused, I do not have to tell a joke.

I normally have a very conventional way to compile my productions:

• I either have a story and prepare appropriate images, or, I have some images and conceive a story.
  • I write a kind of script including commentary.
  • I record the commentary, split into many short clips (normally a few seconds each).
  • I arrange the images in PTE and choose an appropriate time for each one.
  • I look for music clips, arrange a music mix in Audacity, and I export this mix. I keep the mix and its ingredients as an Audacity project, so I can easily make changes, if needed.
  • In PTE I synchronize the transition points according to the music (e.g. start or end of transition together with beat 1 in the bar).
  • Now I work in PTE and Audacity simultaneously: I place all comments on one track in my Audacity project (like pearls on a string). In PTE (from left to right) I look where to place the next comment. Sometimes it starts within the time of one slide and ends within the time of the next one (the critical situation in this thread). I shift the comment to its place, and then I go for the next one.
  • If there are sounds, as well, I use additional tracks.
  • Occasionally I export the soundtrack as an MP3, and in PTE I look how it works together with my images. In my audio project everything can be changed, if needed.

There is nothing exiting with this method. It just gives precise results. I hope that v.7.5 of PTE will provide an appropriate graphical interface to its audio tracks. In this case most (or at least part) of the work can done within PTE. Let's see what will happen.

Regards,

Xaver

... I was asking what amused you ...

What does amuse me?

If you ever have built a soundtrack using parallel audio tracks (either in Audacity (or another audio tool), or in AV tools like Wings or m.objects, you will never agree to use the present PTE audio tools which would mean the following: You have to work with parallel tracks in the project options window for music without a simultaneous view, and then there is additional audio inserted via the main window, whose existence you only see if the corresponding slide is highlighted, audio which sometimes is cut when the next slide starts. All in all, this is not a professional user interface for audio, and we all hope that in v7.5 all this will look better. All this has been known for a long time, and v7.5 is about to be released soon (hopefully), and then you start and maintain a discussion of that kind. This (at least for me) is just a little bit amusing.

Regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

We are in agreement about audio files added to slides but we must agree to disagree wrt PTE Audio Section

I use Audition and/or Soundbooth but can work equally well in PTEs Audio Section.

All it takes is a little organization and the will to want to do it. it is sometimes the challenge that excites.

Like you I look forward to whatever 7.5 brings.

DG

... The only thing that I don't see is reference to KFSD and how you handle video durations ...

Sorry, here I must disappoint you :( Like Peter, Jill, and others I do not like (and do not use) the KFSD feature (Keep Full Slide Duration). Until today I have not yet done anything serious with videos in PTE, but if I did so I would manage the situation without KFSD.

Regards,

Xaver

All it takes is a little organization and the will to want to do it. It is sometimes the challenge that excites.

You are right, you can do it if you want to do it. But who really wants to do so. I live in an AV environment that is dominated by very expensive AV tools which have appropriate audio interfaces. In cases where I recommend PTE I have to use other arguments :rolleyes:

Regards,

Xaver