WnSoft Forums

Adding Silence

Igor

I wonder if you have thought about allowing the addition of silence anwhere in a sound track. To explain:

I often use PTE for tutorials(commentary) and we also use it for our camera club competitions with the critique of our images being recorded from the judges comments. Its too time consuming to add the voice commentary to individual images, so I always mix the voice recordings together in Camtasia and bring it into PTE as one file. Its very convenient and quick to do that, but inevitably there are times when a slight miscalculation means I could do with a couple of seconds of silence inserted into an already made soundtrack. For example, between a short pause in the speech, I need to add a further 2 second pause to allow the image to be viewed longer.

Hi Barry,

I do a lot of "Visual Technical Reports" using PTE and like you I had a similar problem ~ "variable" Pause duration.....

Yes ~ Its already incorporated into the PTE-Software ~ I'm using Pte-6.0 and 6.5 with Windows Xp-Pro.

See the "attached" Image below as to how its set-up ~ One Rh-Clk = Stop and once again = Resume.

Ohh and by the way its action is instantaneous ~ no smear.

Give it a try,

Brian.(Conflow)

post-1416-0-64044100-1344853610_thumb.gi

Barry,

With respects you wrote...

"I could do with a couple of seconds of silence inserted into an already made soundtrack. For example, between a short pause in the speech, I need to add a further 2 second pause to allow the image to be viewed longer"...unquote.

While you're waiting for PTE to incorporate your request into some future Pte-version ~ My technique works right now "Live" on the spot and does exactly what you said above ~ It allows you to stop the Show at a particular Slide ~ that Slide remains on view ~ until you right click the RH-Mouse again. In my case I use a Radio-Mouse because I am talking about the contents of that Slide which is 'statically' on view. In this circumstance you have control over the "pause-period" but if it was programme into the Show how are you supposed to control a 'fixed' period ??

That simply doesn't make sense to me because I am answering questions during that "pause-period" and I have no idea how long that's going to be ~ but at least I have control over it.

I expect its different Horses for courses...

Brian (Conflow).

You have made the wrong assumption. I said I could do with a couple of seconds of silence inserted into an already made soundtrack. I am not referring to a live commentary, but a recorded one. Using PTE rather like Powerpoint with a live commentary, I just use the wait for a button press option.

I use PTE for tutorials a lot these days and the way I like to work is to write and record my commentary first. I can then usually add the images and it all works well, doesn't take an age to do and looks great when done. However, with the best laid plans there is always a time where you suddenly get an idea for another explanitory slide, but there is not enough time in the recorded commentary to allow that. I can go back to Camtasia and re stitch the takes and add the silence, but that takes time and later I might find the need to add another second or two. Or, in fact take out a few seconds of silence.

Seeing as I have used this "add silence" option loads of times in Audacity, I thought a suggestion to igor was worth a mention.

Barry,

Whilst you suggestion is valid and I have no worries in endorsing it....

There is an easy way already available.

Example: Add music to track.

Set fade out at point B (at X seconds).

Add another copy of same music.

Offset at X plus 5 seconds and start point at X seconds and fade in.

Project file size is still the same and if you do it a couple of times it is FAR quicker than leaving PTE to go to third party software.

IMHO and all that - other opinions are available.

With multi tracks and new layout in v7.5 Audacity is not required.

DG

Dave

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this section is for suggestions for future versions and that is what I made. It wasn't a cry fpr help on my part and I have no interest at all in workarounds. I can find those myself if and when I want them. I thought this section was where we can suggest ideas to Igor and as I have said before, I am quite happy to make my suggestion and let Igor consider their merits.

What I want with sound editing is SIMPLE, every day of the week and twice on Sunday

Hi Barry,

My apology ~ Now I've "got-ya" ~ I see what your trying to do, its a good suggestion for 'pre-authored' Slideshows like yours.

As I had said, in my situation I have to face a barrage of Technical-questions based on the Video-Report I am presenting

thus the reason for 'Manual-control' of the Show if and when I want it ~ I thought it may have been useful to yourself .

Brian.(Conflow).

I do use a manual option and often I create two versions of the PTE show, but in a camera club situation a manual talk always lasts longer than a pre-recorded one. We all waffle a lot more when talking in a live situation. dry.gif

Many camera clubs are using PicturesToExe to present their competitions. In some parts of the world, getting a live judge to the clubroom is a problem due to travelling distances. We (Noosa Photo Club) for example have our competitions judged remotely and the judge returns their comment in writing. This is good for another reason. It stops them from dronning on an on :rolleyes:. Written comments tend to keep them focused. It also allows us to use anyone in the world, which can be refreshing at times.

The judges comments and marks are then recorded by us and made into a slide show. On club night we hit the PTE icon, sit back and the rest is automatic. It was while doing this that I needed an extra few seconds added at times. Its also something needed when putting together tutorials or guidance slide shows.