WnSoft Forums

Sorting Images

ddiercks

I just made my first Pictures to EXE slide show, and it looks fine, but I had an AWFUL time sorting images for it. I tried sorting in the desktop folder (Windows XP Home), but that didn't work because there is no custom sort feature, so every time I sorted the images, they unsorted as soon as I closed and opened the folder. I really need to be able to see at least small thumbnails to sort. How do others sort images for their shows?

dpd

Hello!

Use for sorting ACDSee6 (5), or IrfanView (it's freeware, hi-hi).

You can copy your pictures in work folder ("My show", for example)

and rename as 01, 02, 03...etc.

Good luck!

Oleg :blink:

Hi, dpd,

Welcome!

I use the "Dark-Table" in my "Adjustor" spreadsheet model when I need to rearrange a lot of images for PTE. To speed up the process, it also works with thumbnail representations of the images, which can be readily created from right within the model, provided you also have the "Easy Thumbnails" program installed.

In the model, you simply pull the images into PTE as they are, transfer to the image list, save the PTE file, open "Adjustor" and import the PTE file. Then after you rearrange the images on the "Dark-Table" portion of the model you can export the PTE file back into the PTE program, and presto! - all the images will be set up in the proper order in the slide list without having to rename them.

It's a little bit of work, but probably not any more than using another light-table program, renaming the slides, loading them into the file list of PTE, and adding them to the slide list.

You can find the "Adjustor" model on Beechbrook (around page 2 or 3). :)

Welcome dpd !

Just to add to Oleg and Alrobin's suggestions, Al's darktable works great.

I have sometimes used Thumbplus, I move the images into a gallery, sort them and do a batch re-number within the gallery.

I have used the excellent BREEZEBROWSER software to arrange images for PTE. As well as performing a custom sort, the images can then be batch resized to suit the show size and resolution, with borders added as required - even sharpening and noise reduction possibilities - all in one action.

I believe this to be the best all-round, all purpose app. for use with PTE ( no offence Al <_< )

Breezebrowser is available from www.breezesys.com - it's British and inexpensive !

Denwell (UK- NEast)

Here's how I sort my images.

After I've chosen the images I want to use I print out large thumbnails using the automate function in Photoshop.

Next, I cut them apart and play with the order on my kitchen counter.

When I've settled on the order I number them.

Next I got back to the directory and rename the pictures by putting numbers before each name, e.g. 01horse, 02cat, etc.

When the images are brought into PTE they automatically come out in the correct order. I find it much easier to visually sort when I can see the images all in one place, at reasonable size.

Isabel

Thanks to JRR,

It's a nice way using "ThumbsPlus Galleries" to sort pictures.

I use this program for many years but do not have any idea to do a batch re-number within the galleries. It's excellent!

Jacques.

Hi dpd,

I have a copy of MGI Photosuite v 8.1 ( there are much more up to date versions like Platimum 5 available - cost 29 dollars).

This programme has an excellend albums feature which inserts any number of pics as thumbnails into a named album, which can then be sorted as a light box, with drag and drop, and saved as an album. This then can be printed out in the right order as a thumbnail script. Any number of albums can be made and saved and edited.

Good luck,

Alan

Al,

To be honest I have never tried to transfer the slide order album direct to PTE. All that I have used it for is to make a nice illustrated script to pull the pictures across to the pte slide list. You can also save the album as a fallback if the project goes wrong or is lost. I have it with my photo stuff on another PC I have (I keep this smaller older version for e-mails etc to try and avoid virus worms and other nasties!) which is currently down and being amended. I therefore can't actually try it. Another chum uses Photosuite for the same pupose so I'll contact him to see if he has had a go.

Regards,

Alan

Oleg,

I confess it isn'y easy to lose project!

Once or twice I have accidentally moved files in sorting out directories etc. and that way PTE loses track of the simage files.

I also had a chum lost part of his hard file in a disaster so I save projects to another drive etc. to avoid.

Your point however is taken. If I ever have its my own fault!

Thanks for the interest.

Alan

Hi dpd,

You can try my "Dark Table" (see this topic) which also creates a text file with all your images (full path) as you arranged them. I still didn't get any feedback about this program so I don't know much about its usefulness. If members will like it I can add some more features like calling all images from your pte file, then after you re-arrange them, inserting them back to your pte file.

Usually when there is no feedback I assume members didn't find the specific program useful so I stop enhance it.

Granot

Hi Granot

I did download 'Dark Table' the day you annouced it and I tried immediately and found the way you had organised to be very good. I have meant to go back to it and put it thru its paces better but have not had time yet. When I do I will report further. But I like what I see so far.

Mike

Mersea Island

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to send with just the salutation.

Granot, I did download your "Dark Table," and I tried it out. It's really slow on my machine. Is that normal? It take several, and I mean severl seconds to sort each individual image. I have a P4 1.8mhz processor Dell Dimension 8200, so the computer isn't slow. Is this normal behavior?

Dan D.

Hi Boxig!

I have now used the 'Dark Table' and find it very useful so far. There are a few little niggles though that I am sure you can sort out. I know that you are on holiday at the moment so I will wait until you return and then offer my suggestions to you. Meantime; has anyone else used this neat little program yet?