WnSoft Forums

Slides to video

steven62

Hi,

I have a sequence of 24 slides or so that was taken with a the camera mounted on a tripod of a northern flicker family (bird) nest of the young ones sticking their heads out of a hole in a tree for their first peek of the world.

I ran the sequence as a slide show in photoshops bridge a couple of years ago and shortened the time to 1 second between slides and noted it looked pretty neat but I had no slide show software then.

Fast forward to yesterday and ran them through PTE at one half second but things seemed a bit choppy even with no transitions enabled.

Is doing something like this even possible? and if so how would I go about doing it? Is it doable in PTE?

Thank you,

Steven

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi,

I have a sequence of 24 slides or so that was taken with a the camera mounted on a tripod of a northern flicker family (bird) nest of the young ones sticking their heads out of a hole in a tree for their first peek of the world.

I ran the sequence as a slide show in photoshops bridge a couple of years ago and shortened the time to 1 second between slides and noted it looked pretty neat but I had no slide show software then.

Fast forward to yesterday and ran them through PTE at one half second but things seemed a bit choppy even with no transitions enabled.

Is doing something like this even possible? and if so how would I go about doing it? Is it doable in PTE?

Thank you,

Steven

Hi Steven

If you check out some of the work posted on here you will see that PTE is the most versatile AV software available at this price range. I think you need to explain what exactly you are looking to do with the sequence.

Yachtsman1.

Just cheked your post again, are you trying to make the sequence look like video (moving pictures?

Steven,

What was the time interval between each shot? Was it one long motor drive sequence or were they taken individually over several minutes (or even hours)?

As you would appear to have a knowledge of Photoshop already, I would take all 24 into photoshop and build them into a layer stack. Then use the Hide/Unhide control (the "eye") to decide which pairs switch from one to the other very well. Shuffle the stack order until you have a run of slides that works well. Discard any that just don't seem to fit in. You can change slides in PTE at least as quick as every 50ms (yes, milliseconds) if you set for no transitions (i.e. a simple "Quick" or "Cut" transition).

regards,

Peter

Yachtsman1 wrote: "Just cheked your post again, are you trying to make the sequence look like video (moving pictures?"

Well, yes, sort of. I know that I can't get it exact but the sequence with their moving around is to tempting not too try. I think Peter knows what I am trying to do.

Peter wrote: "What was the time interval between each shot? Was it one long motor drive sequence or were they taken individually over several minutes (or even hours)?"

I do not remember if was motor drive or not but I remember that the sequence was done over a minute or less. I will check the EXIF data to see what information I can dig up.

Regarding stacking the photos in layers how do I get them into PTE after selecting the sequence or would I simply do a save as into individual images?

Steven

Steven

Have a look at the thread below. Its another forum, but one of the members is very keen on time lapse and has some information that may be useful to you, there is also a demo on YouTube. The link for the demo is in the first thread, but I have pasted it below for convenience

Forum page http://www.beckhamforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2405

YouTube Example http://youtu.be/jgS_gmPnK0Y?hd=1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Steven

A simple way to do it in PTE is to make about 10 duplicates of each slide. Set the slide times to 50ms or less with "quick no transition" in customise slide & apply it to all the copies, put the groupe of 10 in sequence, duplicate the sequence a couple of times & see what happens. Don't forget to let us know how it works. You can copy & paste in PTE, so what I suggested could be done in a couple of minutes. See screen shots. BTW make your slide sizes as small as possible 1280px on the long side max, short side dependent on your aspect ratio. Finally you need a good graphics card to do this sort of thing.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-65483500-1348789821_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-48723000-1348789859_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-86088600-1348790323_thumb.jp

Thanks guys for all the information. It will be a good beginning.

I intended to use this method for the bird show which will be after the one I am working on now. The one I am working on now will also fit time lapse.

It is about a Pennsylvania Heritage festival my wife and I attended a few weeks ago and there is an sequence of images that I took of soldiers in period costumes firing a cannon. I watched as they began pulling the cord and it took longer then I thought until the cannon went off. Way noisier then I thought it would be. As I was processing the images I was about to discard them and keep just the important ones when I began this thread for the birds. Glad I did not toss them. Hopefully when I will finish it in a couple of weeks I will be able to send a link.

Thanks again for the help.

Steven

Regarding stacking the photos in layers how do I get them into PTE after selecting the sequence or would I simply do a save as into individual images?

You get your images into PTE in the usual way. All I was suggessting was using a Photoshop layer stack to help work out which images to use and in which order.

regards,

Peter