WnSoft Forums

PTE files size

bogari0171

HI,

I have been using PTE for some months and I am fully satisfied.

My peoblem is that my exe files are often too big (sometimes over 200 MB)

I see that on the site "Beechbrook" there are excellent videoclips with size in the range of 30-50 MB.

My question is how should I reduce the size of my videoclips and what is the best way to make them available on the net. Is there any problem sending exe files?

Should I resize each slide, or may I use a more effective way?

I have no experience with zipping

Could anyone help?

Thanks

Claudio

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Claudio

I've made a number of shows using PTE V 7.07, with video clips included. I make my slides 1920x1080 pixels at a quality of 5 in Elements 10. The video clips, when I introduce them into PTE I allow PTE to optomize them which invariably reduces the size of the original MP4 from a Panasonic FZ150 camera. I try & keep the video clips as short as possible in keeping with the style of the show & use PTE to crop/cut/trim any unwanted bits from the clips. As far as zipping, assuming you have winzip or some other zipping programme, just right click on your exe & click "send to zip file" which should zip up the exe in the same folder as the original. You can store your exe's on Mediafire or Dropbox, I use Mediafire who have a 250MB limit per exe, unless you have a professional account, which is about £10 per month. I don't know what limit Beechbrook have.

Yachtsman1

Thanks Yachtsman,

Your first suggestion is to use quality 5 in Elements (I have version 7 and I will check this procedure and see what can be gained in terms of size reduction)

I do not have zipping programs nor I know what the size reduction could be.

As for sharing I heard of Dropbox from a friend and I will check it as well as Mediafire.

By the way I am also a sailor and my last fotshow is relevant to my little 24 feet sailing boat (unfortunately it is still 247 MB, including MP4 videoclips)

Thanks again

Claudio

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Claudio

You can get free zip programmes on the internet, but they don't reduce sizes that much maybe 5 - 10%. You should be able to get your sailing show on Mediafire (under 250MB) especially if it is zipped. I made a sailing show of our first boat a Mirage 28 from old 1996 video & pictures a short time ago, you need to read the text on the first clip to understand what is going on, the quality is very poor so don't expect much. The video clips were from VHSC tapes digitised onto DVD then stripped into working files, you may get a laugh. see

Yachtsman1.

Claudio

please you note that exist strategy for lite file exe. In primis with Jpeg compression, because video projection isn't necessary classic 300 (not the movie) DPI but only 72 screen and "big" resolution.

In secundis other possibility is to "cut" range of color. Billions of colors not make sense de facto for human vision (often those who produce "slideshows" or do not knows or forget it) other factors is important.

Last but not least a discrete "unsharp mask" for crisp images. Nothing more.

In my case I applied the methodology for Una sera di pioggia (Rain).

See video

Da Campos

HI,

....My question is how should I reduce the size of my videoclips and what is the best way to make them available on the net. Is there any problem sending exe files?...

Thanks, Claudio

==================================

Claudio,

In addition to reducing the size of your still images, you have to be more concerned with the size of your video files if you want to make smaller exe files.'s

Most people use PTE converter process which converts a video to an AVI file format that works well with PTE. However, many times, this process will create a file larger than the original video.

In addition to trimming out the excess video portions, I prefer to have more control over the conversion process with the ability to reduce the original file size and still work well with PTE. I have been using Freemake Video Converter program, which is a free program:

http://www.freemake....ideo_converter/

If you download this program (any many other programs), be sure to uncheck any extra programs they want give to you also, and usually, you don't want.

What I like about this program is that I can choose not only the format, but I can choose the bitrate and the codec for the conversion process. After much testing and use of the Freemake program, I would suggest you try it out and select the AVI format, the MPEG4 codec and choose a lower bitrate. The MPEG4 codec will play better than the H.264 codec in PTE (at least that is what we have found so far). The bitrate seems to be the key to size of the video file.

For example, if I start out with a 60Mb MOV video file that has a 20 Mbps bitrate, and I convert it using a 10 Mbps bitrate, you can cut the size of the video file about in half to about 30Mbs. The nice thing is that you can play around and try different bitrates. I have gone down to a bitrate of 7 and 5Mbps and the quality is still very acceptable. And of course, all this depends on what you are playing the final exe with. There are a lot of variables but give this a try.

See the attached file. I hope this helps.

Gary

P.S. But I would always compare the results you get with Freemake with the results from the PTE conversion process.

post-1794-0-14406200-1348860469_thumb.jp

Complimenti per il fotoshow Rain.(che è essenzialmente basato su immagini e non su videoclip)

Tra napoletani è inutile scriversi in inglese.

Il mio problema è che normalmente monto i miei fotshow senza badare alle effettive dimensioni delle slides usate e poi mi ritrovo con file troppo grandi.

Mi pare che la soluzione sia di ridurre ciascuna foto a dimensioni più picole garantendo una buona qualità.

Mi hanno detto che il risultato si può ottenere in modo automatico con Adobe lightroom, (cosa che non riesco a fare con Photoshop elements 7) ma non ho ancora approfondito la cosa.

Ho apprezzato la tua tecnica di ridurre i colori riportandosi al bianco-nero, ma non ho capito che cosa intendi con "unsharp mask"

Grazie ancora

Claudio

Hi Claudio

You can get free zip programmes on the internet, but they don't reduce sizes that much maybe 5 - 10%. You should be able to get your sailing show on Mediafire (under 250MB) especially if it is zipped. I made a sailing show of our first boat a Mirage 28 from old 1996 video & pictures a short time ago, you need to read the text on the first clip to understand what is going on, the quality is very poor so don't expect much. The video clips were from VHSC tapes digitised onto DVD then stripped into working files, you may get a laugh. see

Yachtsman1.

Hi Yachtsman,

thanks for your suggestion to reduce the image size with PSE.I tried resolution 5 and 8 with good satisfaction.

Is there a method for reducing a block of images, or should they be reduced one by one?

Thanks Claudio

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Claudio

You can reduce a block of images using what's known as "Batch Processing", In Elements 10 this comes under "Process Multiple Files" see screen shot. However if you use this process I would suggess you save the originals as when you reduce the sizes, you can't undo the process. So the watchword is "Save As" which should preserve your originals.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-78778400-1349449088_thumb.jp

HI,

....Should I resize each slide, or may I use a more effective way? ....

Thanks

Claudio

=========================

Claudio,

I have already responded to how I would reduce my video clips.

I'd like to add now an easy way to reduce/resize single image files one at at time or in a batch. I can highlight a group of images in MyComputer and right-click on the highlighted group. Then I click on the 'Resize Pictures' button (I think this came from Windows7 and is standard--if not, I am not sure where this came from). Then I just choose from the size I want in the list. It is very quick and easy. Just another way of doing it.

See the attached screenshots.

Gary

ADDED LATER: As I said, I am not sure if it comes with Win7 or I added it as another program. But I just found where you can get if if you don't have it. See this link: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

post-1794-0-61220200-1349451716_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-11826300-1349451717_thumb.jp

Hi Claudio

You can reduce a block of images using what's known as "Batch Processing", In Elements 10 this comes under "Process Multiple Files" see screen shot. However if you use this process I would suggess you save the originals as when you reduce the sizes, you can't undo the process. So the watchword is "Save As" which should preserve your originals.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Thanks Eric: wonderful suggestion.

I found the command also in my PSE 7.

I am now investigating in the the best compromise between size reduction and resolution.

I am very happy because the gain obtined is almost one order of magnitude

Saluti

Claudio

=========================

Claudio,

I have already responded to how I would reduce my video clips.

I'd like to add now an easy way to reduce/resize single image files one at at time or in a batch. I can highlight a group of images in MyComputer and right-click on the highlighted group. Then I click on the 'Resize Pictures' button (I think this came from Windows7 and is standard--if not, I am not sure where this came from). Then I just choose from the size I want in the list. It is very quick and easy. Just another way of doing it.

See the attached screenshots.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I will try also this method in addition to the one using PSE

Saluti

Claudio