WnSoft Forums

NEW CANON

Ken Cox

LOL - No, there are no pesky Nikon RAW files but hey, it "does" allow the user to save RAW Canon files which is not possible with some of the earlier super zooms like my S30 IS.

28 to - get this 1200 mm optical zoom and digital zoom on top of that which actually works pretty good - at least it does on my S30 IS. If the IQ at 1200 mm is as good as reported - this will be a tremendous bridge camera. Just to get 1200 mm optical at F5.6 would cost about $84,000 (really!). Canon makes a 1200 mm F5.6 which sells for up to $100,000. They have only made about a couple dozen of these and they have been special ordered by news and sports businesses. To have this magnititude of zoom available in a stabilized lens even with a tiny sensor is nothing short of amazing. I thought my S30 IS with 840 mm zoom was the cat's meow - but this is nothing short of phenomenal if it produces decent images.

If this works as well as early users say it does - it's going to make a very big impression on the bridge camera market.

Best regards,

Lin

Nice spec Ken.

Nearly ordered one and then realised it does not take NEF files.B).

DG

LOL - yep, it's difficult to stay up with the new toys. I have actually got decent usable images (seriously) with my little Canon S30IS which goes to optical 840mm at 4x digital zoom. It has allowed me to get wildlife images I couldn't get with my best dSLR's and some incredibly expensive glass. And - hand-held on top of that!

Lin

The replacement for this:

http://www.europe-ni...ce/coolpix-p510

will probably go to 12-2000mm.

You can't keep up.

DG

The amazing thing is that you don't need a tripod, even though it does have a tripod stabilization mode. That's something new to me. Most of the optical stabilization configurations require you to turn off stabilization when on a tripod. This one has a mode which lets it be used on a tripod.

600mm F1.8 - that's one I'd like to see - LOL. - probably couldn't lift it - HA!

Actually, Sigma has a 200-500mm F2.8 which I had a chance to use. It's about $34,000 MSRP - the thing was so heavy you almost need a truck to carry it. (34.6 pounds to be exact)

sigmonster.jpg

I think the largest lens I've seen was this one which was for sale on ebay a while back. It was made by Canon and is a 5200mm F14

canon5200mmf14.jpg

Zeiss once made this 1700mm F4 for a one-off client. This thing weighs nearly 600 pounds and had to be mounted on a truck. I took some pictures of it at PMA in Las Vegas years ago - but I can't find them... Here's a link to some info about it...

http://theonlinephot...super-tele.html

Lin

The tripod necessary to stabilise it would probably cost as much as the camera :P.

My 600mm f1.8 with the 2x converter will knock the socks off it!:lol:

DG

Here's some results Ken...

I could definitely live with this. These were from a Japanese user and are taken respectively at 24mm, 1200mm, (optical) then 2400mm and 4800mm digital zoom. It's the duck standing just in front of the post.....

24mm.jpg

1200mm.jpg

2400mm.jpg

4800mm.jpg