WnSoft Forums

Archive problem

tomg

I have all my PTE files on hard drive F. I want to make archive copies on hard drive G. So I began by copying and pasting the first AV. The problem is that when I came to test out the AV that is now on drive G, all the slide references are to drive F. How can I quickly convert all the references to the sub files in drive G ?

TomG

Hi Tom,

I guess you are trying to move your .pte (working) file rather than your completed (.exe) file. If this is so then I think one solution may be to from your original drive "create a back-up in Zip" file (see File/Create Backup in Zip [Alt+B]) and move that to your second drive. Then when you open the Zip file save it to your chosen folder on that second drive. I think that should work. Give it a try.

John

Guest Yachtsman1

I have all my PTE files on hard drive F. I want to make archive copies on hard drive G. So I began by copying and pasting the first AV. The problem is that when I came to test out the AV that is now on drive G, all the slide references are to drive F. How can I quickly convert all the references to the sub files in drive G ?

TomG

Depending on how big your archive is, it's a massive task copying the whole shooting match to a separate hard drive. When I bought my first back up hard drive it must have taken 12 hours in total to transfer the whole contentents of my C & D drives. The Freecom drive was a 1 TB (1000GB) capacity, earlier this year when it was 75% full I bought a second 1TB drive & started to use that for all my new stuff including original images, that is now 30% full. The original transfer was done using a USB to USB cable & some software, It depends on the speed of your USB sockets how long it will take. As a final back up I keep all my Exe files on Mediafire.

Yachtsman1

Hi Tom,

Yes ~ What you are proposing is a massive job not for the faint hearted as Eric has confirmed.

Here in our Workshop we use "FireWire-Transfer" to our "LaCie" external HD-Backups.

For truly massive data-transfers the "Firewire-System" can do the job in 40% of the USB-transfer time,

furthermore the bigger the Files the faster that becomes. If you have a modern PC like Xp to Win.7.....

it should have a "Firewire-Port" preinstalled on the rear Panel ~ then all you want is a new FireWire

configured external HD.

See attached PDF for more data.

Brian (Conflow)

Comparison of USB & FireWire.pdf

Hi TCG

I suspect that the problem you have is that when you run a PTE project from drive G you are getting the blue screens saying 'File not found'. Right?

The suggestions from yachtsman and conflow refer to straight mass file copying which doesn't solve that problem, as you already seem to have discovered.

Depending on how many PTE projects you have, the best way is to use the suggesion above of opening each one then doing a File -> Backup in zip. You can then copy the zipped file to whichever drive you like and it will always run when you unzip it at that new location.

I've said in the past that a good routine to get into is to do a backup in zip each time you work on a project. You'll never have another problem of missing files. Famous last words!!

Regards

wideangle