WnSoft Forums

Problem Overlaying a video clip over a slide. Solved

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

O.K. - let's start with Example one.

Set the display time for the still slide to the video run time of 13 seconds (or whatever it actually is). In Objects and Animations - Animations Tab, with the start keyframe of the still slide highlighted, set the opacity of the still slide to zero. At four seconds, place a second keyframe for the still slide also set to zero opacity. At five seconds place a third keyframe set to 100 percent opacity. At seven seconds place a fourth keyframe set to 100 percent opacity. At eight seconds place a fifth keyframe set to zero opacity.

The purpose of the key frames are to quickly fade-in the still slide beginning at four seconds so that at five seconds it is 100 percent opaque and visible, keep it visible at 100 percent opacity for four two seconds and fade it out in a duration of one second so that it disappears. You can adjust the duration timing of the keyframes to suit.

The essence of keyframing in the relevant sense is to control the opacity (visibility) of the still slide while the video continues to run. Keep this in mind: keyframes are not difficult at all to understand but the part which may seem at first a bit unusual is that you must use a keyframe to "keep" a condition which you have created. Once you set into motion a "change" in a condition, it will continue to change unless you place an additional keyframe to "hold" that condition. So to change from invisible (the condition of zero opacity set at the beginning of the slide) you used another keyframe set to 100 percent opacity. But - and this is very important - to properly time the change, you need a third keyframe. You don't want the image to immediately begin fading in - you want it to begin fading in just before the three second point on your timeline. So that second keyframe also set to zero opacity tells PTE to not begin fading in until "now" (now being the time you used the second keyframe).

Likewise with the fade out. You don't want the still slide to immediately begin fading out as soon as it faded in. So to achieve this, you need the second keyframe also with 100 percent opacity to "hold" that condition of full opacity for that period of time between the two keyframes.

Now let's look at the second example:

In the second example, set the still frame with a time of 20 seconds. On the Properties Tab in the Objects and Animations screen, set the "Offset" for the video to five seconds. Set the opening keyframe for the video to zero opacity. At four seconds place a second keyframe also set to zero opacity. At five seconds place a third keyframe set to 100 percent opacity. At 10 seconds place a fourth keyframe set to 100 percent opacity, At 11 seconds place a fifth keyframe set to zero opacity.

The above will take care of the appearance and disappearance of the "picture" part of the video, but what about the audio part? If you have not muted the audio on the video, it will continue to run even though you have keyframed out the "appearance" of the video. So to deal with killing the audio, you must set the "duration" for your video to correspond to the length of time you want it to be on screen. In this case you would set the duration to five seconds.

You might have to fine tune the position of the keyframes to suit exactly what you want to achieve - but the essence is that you use the "Offset" to control the actual time the video starts "playing" and the keyframes to key it from showing up as a still image at the beginning of your slide and to make it disappear. You control the sound either by separating the sound from the video and playing it simultaneously then use the envelope or sound controls - or, as in my suggestion, just kill it via the "duration" of play of the video.

It sounds more complex than it really is. Once you are comfortable with the above, then we can discuss the feature Keep Full Slide Duration (KFSD) and how that affects the relationship between video and transitions, etc.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin.

I have just spent 2 days re-doing my Remembrance Day 65 minute epic, which goes public on the 11th, so my brain is well & truly goosed. As soon as I recover I will try to follow your suggestions, don't think I'm ignoring them, I will give it a go.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1