WnSoft Forums

PTE exe ICON

JEB

Hi,

Perhaps this should be posted in the MAC area but it concerns both OS's.

As a MAC user I am finding the integration through Parallels (there are other brands!) so successful sometimes I am not certain which side of the house I am in and on occasions I find that I have a PTE icon on my desktop or in my downloads and have no graphical way of identifying whether it will open on the MAC or the PC.

Would it be possible to have a different icon for each? Perhaps MAC on the MAC version and leave the PC icon as it is.

John

Eric,

You are correct, perhaps I should and likely will once I find out how.

You miss my point though.

Why should I have to?

i have posted this idea as a proposed improvement.

Much better that it be done within the system than ask people to find out how to do what would be much better done professionally.

Regards

John

Guest Yachtsman1

John

I didn't miss your point. But I get the impression that Mac PTE users are in the minority & it's not rocket science to add your own icon or to add "mac" or just "m" to your exe title, sounds like you want to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut. I suspect the current humming bird icon is a patented image & would be costly to change. :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

...perhaps I should and likely will once I find out how.

At the risk of hijacking this topic away from your original intent, it is relatively easy to add a custom icon.

First you need the icon file. I use Photoshop Elements and this doesn't support saving as an ico file. So I create a 64 x 64 pixel JPEG image (usually based upon one of the images in the sequence). I then open this file in IrfanView (a free image editor) and save it to ico format. I then use the PTE feature to add a customized icon. That's in Project Options > Main for v7.0 and in Project Options > Advanced for v7.5.

regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter,

Yet again you educate me. I will have a go later.

I think you understand that this is just a workaround or enhancement for something I believe would better tackled at source. There is at least one of our contributors (I wont name him) who regularly very kindly posts both a PC and MAC version of most of his contributions. As both have the same icon it can become confusing to poor souls like me when returning to a downloaded sequence unless it has been filed properly by me in the first place.

John

Sure Ken,

You're also missing the point.

Why would it not be possible for PTE to generate a slightly different icon at source?

All in the interest of user friendliness, and acknowledging a growing market sector.

I suspect that now that Parallels and others are becoming so well integrated the need for WnSoft to invest large sums into developing a MAC version are waning.

Let's end it here.

Best regards,

John

John,

It's active in my installation of beta 13.

Project Options > Advanced > tick the box to Assign icon

Click on the Customize button which has just been "ungreyed"

Click on Add icon button

Navigate to the folder where you have stored the icon file

Select the desired icon

Publish the Executable as usual

Check the folder where you saved the executable and the file should have the icon associated with it

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have tried again, still without success.

What I am getting from v7.5 when creating a MAC show using my newly created Apple/PTE logo is not what I have allocated but something quite different. However, when allocating that same icon and creating a PC show I get that icon appearing as I would expect.

I have attached the two results.

Don't spend too much time on this it is not that important. I'm just curious as to what is going on.

Regards

John

PS

It worked ok for me in v7.0 when I tried it yesterday.

post-2441-0-25228200-1351503829_thumb.jp

post-2441-0-82944300-1351504051_thumb.jp

Igor,

As requested by you in the 7.5 part of the forum I reiterate below my suggestion.

Do you plan, at a later version, to have a unique Mac icon automatically produced to eliminate the confusion that at present exists?

Regards

John