WnSoft Forums

(SOLVED) Who remembers keystrokes to desaturate image?

Lin Evans

Desaturate image - keystrokes anyone?

Best regards,

Lin

Geez, Lin, that's gotta be the broadest question I've seen yet! What program are you wanting the keystrokes for?

I'll hazard a guess at Photoshop - in which case there is a fantastic plug-in that allows you to individually control the conversion of all six primary and secondary colors, or alternatively you can select from a range of black/white film emulations. I use this whenever I do a 'desaturation' - but it's far better than just a simple desaturate.

Have a look at http://www.photo-plugins.com/Plugins/Plugins/B-W-Conversion.html

Download is available at the bottom of the page.

Regards,

Colin

PS: Duh! I didn't think about PTE having a desat function.

But, true to my beliefs, I think all manipulation of images (and sound) should be done in the best program for the job, instead of Igor having to reinvent the wheel in PTE. Just my $0.02 worth :)

Hi Colin,

Actually, for PTE.

Igor had a keystroke combination of Ctrl Shift P which first desaturated, then on second press changed color image to sepia and on third press back to normal. This was an undocumented feature in Version 7, but apparently not carried over to 7.5 - but may be added later or in 8.0. It was very handy to do B&W to color transitions with and not have to get out of PTE.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Colin,

Yes, there are definite advantages to using more sophisticated programs for image manipulation and sound manipulation - but sometimes the differences are not really worth the extra effort (and possible expense for those who don't have sophisticated software) for quick effects. Of course, if one were trying to create an excellent black and white, simple desaturation would be much less effective than emulating various black and white film results. On the other hand, when the image is only there for a very brief time to create a transition to color, it's nice to be able to just drop the image in twice, press a couple keys and set a few keyframes as opposed to going to another editing program and manipulating the image with care, then renaming and entering it back into PTE along with the original color image.

It's always difficult to decide where to draw the lines between a "display program" and an "editing program." Many years ago I discussed with Igor the possibility of merging features from PixBuilder with PTE when and "if" if became necessary because of pressures from competitors. One must be cognizant of the competition and what the general purchasing market wants in order to maintain or reach marketing goals and stay in business. For we "purists," PTE already has nearly everything we need, but for the general market where "whiz-bang" and "bells and whistles" sometimes rule, certain concessions must be made to stay on top of things, I suppose.

Best regards,

Lin

Geez, Lin, that's gotta be the broadest question I've seen yet! What program are you wanting the keystrokes for?

I'll hazard a guess at Photoshop - in which case there is a fantastic plug-in that allows you to individually control the conversion of all six primary and secondary colors, or alternatively you can select from a range of black/white film emulations. I use this whenever I do a 'desaturation' - but it's far better than just a simple desaturate.

Have a look at http://www.photo-plu...Conversion.html

Download is available at the bottom of the page.

Regards,

Colin

PS: Duh! I didn't think about PTE having a desat function.

But, true to my beliefs, I think all manipulation of images (and sound) should be done in the best program for the job, instead of Igor having to reinvent the wheel in PTE. Just my $0.02 worth smile.gif

For we "purists," PTE already has nearly everything we need...

Hi Lin,

For sure I am not a "purist" and I am very much missing a 64-bit native PTE!

What do you think on that (besides that Igor and his team are producing the very best slideshow software ever)?

Regards,

Jose

Hi Jose,

I suspect they will get around to 64 bit support in 8.0. There are several things on my "wishlist" such as support for chroma key extraction and Alpha channel in video. It's difficult to please everyone so they worked very hard on audio this time around, but PTE "does" have a new graphics engine and 64 bit support is probably just around the corner.

Best regards,

Lin