WnSoft Forums

Waltzing's For Dreamers....

Lin Evans

Just a nice way to listen to one of my favorite Richard Thompson tunes. I don't have a fireplace anymore so I make these instead....

http://www.lin-evans...mo/waltzing.zip (about 18 meg) Windows

http://www.lin-evans.org/demo/waltzingmac.zip (about 18 meg) Mac

Lin

Hi Ken,

In a way - it is a test to see if anyone caught a couple of the nuances in the fireplace and associated parts of the image. The new and improved masking makes it more useful for doing subtle things which enhance reality.

I'll leave it at that and let you download the file again and see if you can detect the very subtle changes.... LOL

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I downloaded this show a few days ago not too soon after I came home from work.

It was about 20 degrees out and snowing lightly with winds around 15 MPH (relevance of this in a moment ).

As I was watching I was mesmerized by that fireplace and could swear I heard crackling of the wood. If that show would have lasted any longer I probably would have fallen asleep (that's a good thing)

Steven

Hi Steven,

Thanks for watching!

Indeed you did hear the crackling of the wood, etc. My intent was exactly the effect that you experienced which was to draw the audience into the fireplace and provide the "ambiance" for enjoying the music.

There is a good deal more going on than is apparent at first glance. If you look carefully, you will see the flickering of the fire reflected in the bronze eagle on the hearth as well as on the edge of the leather couch. The 3D transform and masking features of PTE allow for proper perspective for the fire inside the fireplace - proper placement and effects for the sparks and smoke to appear to go up the chimney, reflection of the fire in the bronze statue and on the edge of the couch. These great PTE features provide a means of creating heightened "reality" which I really like. When it's done correctly, the audience "should" be able to "experience" the reality but not necessarily understand why without careful analysis.

Best regards,

Lin

• 2 weeks later...

When it's done correctly, the audience "should" be able to "experience" the reality but not necessarily understand why without careful analysis.

Best regards,

Lin

Well you've done that here. Effective as it is, I needed your hint about reflections to even consider thinking about the technical production techniques.

Hi Robert,

PTE's "toolbox" is just getting better and better. It's a challenge to try to simulate reality. Of course after going to the movies a week ago and seeing The Life of Pi in 3D, it's back to the drawing board! LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

Well you've done that here. Effective as it is, I needed your hint about reflections to even consider thinking about the technical production techniques.