WnSoft Forums

File Size Limit?

Garris

I have found that JPEG files of 800Kb display with about 1 second delay in my slideshows from CD and I have a modest 600MHZ, 128MB RAM computer. I am adding a JPEG files folder to my slideshow CD's which allows the still images to be displayed on a TV using a DVD player. I have tested it and it works but since I do not presently own a DVD player, further testing must wait. The question is: Given the capabilities of the average JPEG/CD compatable DVD player, will the 800Kb files display in a timely fashion? Secondly, will smaller files look as good on a 25 inch screen?

Garris

the opening/transition speed will depend on the dvd player -- a jpg only slideshow -- the players i own have different speed ratings - only one brand that i own will accept an exe and a collection[not in a folder] of jpgs-- again the make determines the max jpg size.

see

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#2.3

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVD...earchcomments

forgot - my jpgs are generally not >150 kb and they view on 13" to 33" tv's fine -- viewed from a normal distance -- pixelation is there when viewed when up close -- a 4x6" print should be viewd +- 1/4 arms length

ken

Ken, related to what you are saying, (DVD player dependent) I stumbled on what to me was new info/behavior.

After shooting some photos with a friend yesterday, I dl'd photos from both his camera and mine onto my PC. After including both in a quick PTE presentation, I realized he has only a new Mac in his home and no PC. So I figured I would also just put all the pix as .jpg on a CD to be played in his DVD/TV. Before giving the CD to him, I watched it on my own TV and was startled to see that his photo files (.jpg average size 245K) were nicely filling the tv screen, but when my photos came on TV screen, they were much smaller area of screen. I thought that strange because my .jpg files (as the came from the camera) were average size 2000k.

Apparently, my DVD player is programmed to reduce the display size when it determines that the file's natural size is too large for the screen. The 245K files 1280x960 were thus filling the screen but my 2000k files 2592x1944 were being displayed as much smaller pictures! Then on my PC, I resized the 2592x1944 pix to 1024x768 and made a new cd. My DVD player then presented the now-smaller pictures to nicely fill the entire screen.

BOB

that is why, if one is shopping, they want to take a series of disks with varying combinations of components to try in the piece of gear you are interested in -- the sales person will not likely know what the piece will do -- they are only interested in selling -- and it is a pain to rebundle the product and take it back ;)

when was the last time you tried to get all the stuff back in the box

ken