WnSoft Forums

Zipping Exe Files with Windows Explorer

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I've started this topic as a follow on to what developed when I downloaded a zipped exe of a new slidesow posted on the forum, zipped using the PTE suggested method. I understand the reasoning behind the suggestion, but suspect that using this method could cause distribution problems when using exe's produced by others in a PTE menu. In my case I have used Winzip for as long as I can remember, going back to W95. It wasn't until I tried to unzip the file zipped using the Windows method that I found it contained the usual exe icon, which was only a few KB & a separate file that contained all the exe data.

This morning after re reading the info provided by others, I managed to associate the zip file with Windows Explorer & restore the "extract all" command line, (see screen shot).

My main concern is, if this is to be the norm & people are storing their exe's in this way, how is the individual who has obtained an exe zipped this way from say mediafire incorporate the exe into a PTE menu. Say a competition organiser is receiving zipped files from numerous sources, zipped using this method, will it preclude them being used in a menu system as the extract all function preduces 2 separate files see z2. :unsure:/>

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-27257400-1355474392_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-25036500-1355474411_thumb.jp

Eric,

This was fully discussed when Igor introduced the "Safe Executable File for Internet" and as much as hate to repeat this, I have to.

If you were part of the development of 7.5 you would be fully aware of the things that you are finding problematic.

To answer your specific question, when creating a Menu which calls up (Safe) Executables you link to the exe file within the folder. You always keep the extracted folder intact and do not remove the two files from their folder. You don't put the two files in separate folders. Kid's stuff - not rocket science.

Try it?

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

This was fully discussed when Igor introduced the "Safe Executable File for Internet" and as much as hate to repeat this, I have to.

If you were part of the development of 7.5 you would be fully aware of the things that you are finding problematic.

To answer your specific question, when creating a Menu which calls up (Safe) Executables you link to the exe file within the folder. You always keep the extracted folder intact and do not remove the two files from their folder. You don't put the two files in separate folders. Kid's stuff - not rocket science.

Try it?

DG

Thank you for your extremely pompous answer, it could probably help the thousands of other users who rarely follow the forum to understand what is going on. Additionally, the manual, (which I checked before posting this) is very brief on the matter with little explanation why the windows zip method should be adopted. (Here in Publish show you can also find Safe Executable File for Internet. PicturesToExe Deluxe creates Zip archive with two files inside – launcher (Exe file) + resource file. The launcher has adigital certificate of WnSoft which confirms that this file has come from verified source. To start the slideshow it's necessary that both files should be located in one folder.)and that's it!!! I assume you have tried it & it works??? Just remember this will also affect all users of PTE not just those with 7.5.

Watch you don't fall off that high horse!!!

Yachtsman1

My main concern is, if this is to be the norm & people are storing their exe's in this way, how is the individual who has obtained an exe zipped this way from say mediafire incorporate the exe into a PTE menu. Say a competition organiser is receiving zipped files from numerous sources, zipped using this method ...

Users who work with menus, in particular competition organizers, typically are of the sophisticated kind. They should be able to manage the situation. What about making your own tests instead of asking that kind of questions?

Regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Xaver & Nobeefstu

I haven't tried 7.5 yet, I'm still finishing off a series of shows using 7.07 that I don't want to re-do with 7.5 in case something amiss happens. I'm assuming that in 7.5, using a menu, all the Exe's contained in it have to come from the same series, as is the case in 7.07.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.