WnSoft Forums

Problem with AVI creation in 752 [SOLVED]

xahu34

In the attachment you will find a nice PTE 707 project, just one totally black slide (fixed size 1440x1080) running for 10 seconds. I created 6 videos (all with size 1440x1080) from this project:

1. Project_Black-752.mp4, an H.264 video created with PTE 752
  2. Project_Black-MPEG4-752.avi, created with PTE 752 using the internal MPEG-4 codec
  3. Project_Black-XVID-752.avi, created with PTE 752 using the external XVID codec
  4. Project_Black-VirtAVI-VirtualDub-XVID-752.avi, created with VirtualDub (using the XVID codec) via the Virtual AVI created with PTE 752
  5. Project_Black-XVID-707.avi, created with PTE 707 using the external XVID codec
  6. Project_Black-VirtAVI-VirtualDub-XVID-707.avi, created with VirtualDub (using the XVID codec) via the Virtual AVI created with PTE 707

I ran all 6 videos using the internal media player of my Samsung TV. We all would expect in all 6 cases that the screen would remain totally black. This is not the case. Only the numbers 1, 5, and 6 behave as expected. The 3 AVIs created with PTE 752 show an array of size 1440x1080 that is dark grey but not black. Furthermore, the 3 videos running correctly all have sizes of about 150 KB, while the 3 "bad" ones have sizes of about 1.8 MB.

Related observation: The Virtual AVI created with PTE 707 is about 12 KB, the Virtual AVI created with PTE 752 is about 1.7 MB. Running both in the Windows Media Player shows that the Virtual AVI from 752 is significantly lighter than the one from 707.

Regards,

Xaver

Project_Black.zip

Xaver,

I'll check up at home with my digital projector Epson TW2000. It allows to precisely measure black level and see even slight difference.

Several years ago I tested H.264 video output and DVD output for correct black level on screen.

I'll do same test for MPEG4 videos.

Xaver,

Strange problem. I installed XVID official codec, but I can't create AVI file with external XVID coder - video file doesn't play.

I'll try with VirtualDub tomorrow.

Please can you check up with external AVI coder in previous v7.0? To compare result. Just only one test.

Igor,

My computer runs with Windows XP SP3 32bit. The XVID encoded videos that you received via e-mail were created with XVID 1.3.1. I uninstalled it and installed the latest version XVID 1.3.2. In the attachment you will find the two black videos from project "Project_Black" that I created with 707 and 752 using the newly installed codec XVID 1.3.2. It seems that the results are the same as before. While creating the video with 707, the XVID status window was shown, which did not work while 752 created the XVID video. Both videos play in VLC.

Regards,

Xaver

XVID132.zip

I sent you email with test version.

• I installed the test version. It installed as v7.5.3, and v7.5.2 isn't there any longer! Is that correct? Is this test version the final v7.5.3 ???
  • The new version worked correctly regarding the Clipboard Problem.
  • With this version, I made several video tests with Project_Black. The Brightness Problem seems to be solved.
  • The Virtual AVI, and the real AVIs created with the new version are still much larger than those made with v7.0.7 (1.8 MB compared to 150 KB)
  • When creating the AVI with the new version using the external XVID codec, the status window of XVID pops up but does not show anything.

Regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

Thanks for the confirmation!

The Virtual AVI, and the real AVIs created with the new version are still much larger than those made with v7.0.7 (1.8 MB compared to 150 KB)

It seems that AVI file has soundtrack (silence) if project has no audio. Should we fix it?

It seems that AVI file has soundtrack (silence) if project has no audio. Should we fix it?

This is not very important for me. If I would like to have such a video without audio track, it would be easy for me to copy the video while deleting the silent audio part. From an aesthetic point of view, I would like to say: Fix it! People who transcode a Virtual AVI (e.g. using VirtualDub) may obtain a video with an uncompressed audio part that is silent (not very clever). Please make your own decision :)

Another question: What about AAC (instead of AC3) for MPEG4-ASP AVIs (see here)?

Regards,

Xaver

This is not very important for me. If I would like to have such a video without audio track, it would easy for me to copy the video while deleting the silent audio part. From an aesthetic point of view, I would like to say: Fix it! People who transcode a Virtual AVI (e.g. using VirtualDub) may obtain a video with an uncompressed audio part that is silent (not very clever). Please make your own decision :)/>

Another question: What about AAC (instead of AC3) for MPEG4-ASP AVIs (see here)?

We'll try to do both changes in next version. The second change requires much work to re-build ffmpeg library with another set of options and include AAC encoder.