WnSoft Forums

Video Editing

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

PTE's video editing/ conversion process is so simple & could be used more often if the process was reversed. At the moment 7.07, the video entered into the conversion process has to go through that process whether you want it to or not. Sometimes when using videos from sources other than my camera, the process inflates the file size without any noticeable difference in quality. I would like to be able to crop etc my video then decide if I wanted to convert it as well. Most video editing programmes are complex unless you use them regularly, PTE's could be made even better iMO. Please :P/>

Yachtsman1.

Sometimes when using videos from sources other than my camera, the process inflates the file size without any noticeable difference in quality.

Yes, it inflates the file size; and for a very good reason. Video files are a bit like MP3 audio files in that they will always have been compressed but the amount of compression can vary from file to file depending upon which codec was used. PTE's converter code converts to a level of compression that will allow for that video to then be subject to 3D transforms, 2D pans, zooms, etc. without overtaxing the resources of the computer. That means having less compression applied and therefore having a much larger file size. When considering video file sizes it is a fallacy to believe that smaller is necessarily better. Smaller often means that you need a more powerful PC to handle that smaller file because it will take more processor power and memory to decompress the video back to its original constituent frames.

Video files differ from MP3 files in that the codec should be restoring the original pixels as it does its decompression. With an MP3 audio file, once it has been compressed, any audio that was discarded during the compression has gone forever.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Peter

I think you are misunderstanding the reason for the request. The clips from my camera invariably end up smaller than the original when putting them through PTE's conversion. Which in my eyes is good as it keeps the file size small. However, when I download a clip from Youtube & put it through PTE, it can increase in size by over 10 times, which in some cases puts it over the 200MB limit on Mediafire. I'm using video more & more & the dedicated video editors I have are cumbersome & not user friendly, whereas the PTE cropper can be used in seconds & very precise. I'm no expert but surely making the conversion process selective would be a great advantage to PTE. Maybe if you did some tests using clips from YouTube you may understand what I'm talking about.

Regards

Eric

yachtsman1.

Maybe if you did some tests using clips from YouTube you may understand what I'm talking about.

Why would I want to use anything off YouTube? I refuse to use copyrighted material without proper copyright clearance. Everything posted on YouTube is copyright of the author (and maybe even of a third party if the author has illegally copied something into their video). Neither will I use material of a technical quality that is inferior to that which I can produce using my own equipment. Most of what I have seen used from YouTube is of a very poor technical quality (i.e. low resolution).

YouTube is not my scene. In many respects I'm a Luddite. I do not use YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr or any other so-called social media web services. As far as I am concerend they are the greatest timewasters ever devised.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Peter

But you reported a few weeks ago you had bought an I phone :blink:/>/>/> Maybe if you did explore more of the things out there now, you wouldn't have such a blinkered view of what should or shouldn't be developed on PTE. I didn't want to create another debacle on here, only open another door for PTE to be universally acceptable by anyone. PM if you have any further comments on my request.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Why would I want to use anything off YouTube? I refuse to use copyrighted material without proper copyright clearance. Everything posted on YouTube is copyright of the author (and maybe even of a third party if the author has illegally copied something into their video). Neither will I use material of a technical quality that is inferior to that which I can produce using my own equipment. Most of what I have seen used from YouTube is of a very poor technical quality (i.e. low resolution).

YouTube is not my scene. In many respects I'm a Luddite. I do not use YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr or any other so-called social media web services. As far as I am concerend they are the greatest timewasters ever devised.

regards,

Peter

Not to mention downright dangerous to your internet health!

Guest Yachtsman1

I've just been doing some screen capture work with Camtasia to produce a short sequence of a couple of minutes. There are a couple of blank frames at the beginning that I want to crop off, if I run it through PTE's conversion process to crop the blanks, the size of the clip jumps from just under 5MB to just under 50MB, if I could just crop without converting I'm sure this would be more acceptable, using the operators descresion which to use. This is a home produced clip, not downloaded from YouTube.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-33050700-1357950038_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-76218900-1357950059_thumb.jp

Peter

Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me lately and I am so pleased it isn't. At least there is one person who thinks the same as I do and a gentleman to boot. For general AV purposes I can't see what YouTube has to offer. Lately I see more and more shows posted on it by PTE users and ProShow users do this almost exclusively, although its on the Photodex servers.

I can't help wondering what the logic is. We pay a fortune for our cameras, we spend lots more visiting places of interest and a heap of time on our computer producing the images. We then lovingly spend hours making a slide show. Some ask for feedback and revisit their show and when they are finally satisfied, they can produce it at HD size. . Something we have only recently been able to do. It looks superb on the PC, the TV and...................................

Then we post it on YouTube where it is decimated.

Facebook and the like do nothing for me, but I will admit that Flickr does. I have been putting up galleries on web sites for years and I have to say, this way of presenting images with flickr is pretty good. Its not essentail to indulge in the interaction and it can be used solely as a gallery.

I suppose YouTube can be used as an advert, to try and lure someone to the better stuff on a web site, but what else. I talking here from the point of view of a photographer and I am fully aware that if I was 25 years younger I would probably have my iPad welded to my hand by now so I can watch YouTube videos anywhere in the world.

Just to keep the record straight...

But you reported a few weeks ago you had bought an I phone

I did not buy an iPhone. I bought a Samsung mobile phone. The decision was a strictly commercial one. I got a new phone - with an on-board camera - for the same price that I was paying for my old mobile phone service. I now always have a camera with me - even when I am not carrying my camera.

Maybe if you did explore more of the things out there now, you wouldn't have such a blinkered view of what should or shouldn't be developed on PTE.

I do not believe that I wear blinkers when considering what should or should not be developed on PTE. Yes, I have personal opinions - don't we all? But I think I can keep an open mind, too! I would love to see Igor and the team develop PTE for Mac, for Linux, for Android, etc. Like Jose (orizaba) I would like to see PTE be able to exploit 64-bit architecture now that this is becoming the norm for PCs. What I would not want to happen is that Igor succumbs to those who pressure him to turn PTE into an all-singing, all-dancing "jack of all trades" image editor, sound editor, video editor programme. "Jacks of all trades", as we well know, are masters of none!

Now, back to your original post...

What exactly do you mean by "reverse"? If I interpret you correctly, you mean the ability to trim the video clip without changing the file format. You would like PTE to decompress the video back to the original frames, apply your trim request, and then re-code the remaining frames using the same codec that had been used originally. Is that right?

I think a trim without conversion could be a useful extra feature for those that want to try and contain the overall file size. I would have no need of it with my current equipment and working methods but that doesn't mean I'm against it for others.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

I think a trim without conversion could be a useful extra feature for those that want to try and contain the overall file size. I would have no need of it with my current equipment and working methods but that doesn't mean I'm against it for others.

regards,

Peter

That is precisely what I am suggesting. ;)/>

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

• 2 months later...
Guest Yachtsman1

Hi dear PTE members,

Would it be possible to integrate a function to be fast and slow motion in the video? (Under the Objects and animations → Propelites)

I have found in open-source software: http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/index.html

What do you think about it?

Hi BBela

You can use Video pad free software to do this, I posted some samples on here around January this year. If you look through my submissions around that time you should find them. I think there are more pressing matters than what you suggest in the PTE to do list.

Yachtsman1.

Hi BBela

You can use Video pad free software to do this, I posted some samples on here around January this year. If you look through my submissions around that time you should find them. I think there are more pressing matters than what you suggest in the PTE to do list.

Yachtsman1.

Thanks for the tip Yachtsman1. :)