WnSoft Forums

Extreme Basics

DawnG

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, and my experience with P2E is still in its infancy....but I am learning more every day I work with it. I have put together a short wedding slide show for a friend with music and even though it's simple I am pretty pleased with it.

My question is.......how in the world do I burn a DVD that works ???? :blink:

I have gone through the instructions in the manual word by word, and burned 2 DVDs. Neither will work in any machine....pc or dvd player. Tried a Video_TS burner and and ISO burner.....and nothing knows how to work with these files. I tried both plus and minus discs....which I understand no longer has any bearing. I am losing my mind quickly here :P

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, and my experience with P2E is still in its infancy....but I am learning more every day I work with it. I have put together a short wedding slide show for a friend with music and even though it's simple I am pretty pleased with it.

My question is.......how in the world do I burn a DVD that works ???? :blink:/>/>

I have gone through the instructions in the manual word by word, and burned 2 DVDs. Neither will work in any machine....pc or dvd player. Tried a Video_TS burner and and ISO burner.....and nothing knows how to work with these files. I tried both plus and minus discs....which I understand no longer has any bearing. I am losing my mind quickly here :P/>/>

Hi Dawn

What discs are you using? DVD-R seem to be best if using the PTE video burning programme, what part of the world are you, are you sure you are using the right format for your country.

Yachtsman1

Hi Dawn

What discs are you using? DVD-R seem to be best if using the PTE video burning programme, what part of the world are you, are you sure you are using the right format for your country.

Yachtsman1

I am in Arizona....but it sure feels like the moon at times :)/>

I have tried both minus (3 times) and plus once. My pc's are telling me nothing is on the discs, but i see the burned area. The dvd player keeps telling me it can't play the discs. The finished video is only 237 mb. I have tried different dvd writers. I am just getting so very discouraged :(/>

Hi Dawn,

First to be on the safe side and this is probably "not" the issue, be absolutely certain you have a DVD and not a CD blank. It really matters not whether DVD + or DVD -

I'm thinking Eric was probably on the right track. There are two "standards" which are relevant. One is called NTSC and it's designed for the U.S. among a few other places. The other is called PAL/SECAM and I "think" it's the "default" for PTE so in order to burn DVD's which will play on "some" but not all US made or "sold in US" type equipment, you "should" make these DVD's in NTSC format.

The procedure is this. First open you PTE file then click on "Publish" then choose "DVD Video Disc". Next click on the Project Options tab at the bottom left and from the Project Tab change the default of PAL/SCEAM to NTSC.

Next just take all defaults and go ahead with the burn and let's see what happens.

Best regards,

Llin

I am in Arizona....but it sure feels like the moon at times smile.gif/>

I have tried both minus (3 times) and plus once. My pc's are telling me nothing is on the discs, but i see the burned area. The dvd player keeps telling me it can't play the discs. The finished video is only 237 mb. I have tried different dvd writers. I am just getting so very discouraged sad.gif/>

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Dawn

Just looked at my reply from last night & one other thing to check you said "The finished video is only 237 mb. " were you referring to the DVD, Exe, or what the programme is telling you the size is? If the Exe is 237MB, you could be getting near the limit of a 4.7GB DVD disc. I've just done a test using a 58MB sized show & the PTE Video production system has bumped that up to 330MB, see screen shot.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-05780600-1360226835_thumb.jp

Hi Everyone

Please forgive me but I am not very techie inclined so I may be missing something.......

I have windows 8 in a brand new HP pc, and no I haven't tried to burn a DVD before this on this machine. On another but not yet on this one.

Lin, my program defaults to NTSC and I was sure not to touch that. I have been using DVD+ and DVD-. No CD's anywhere in sight :) I followed the manual instructions to the letter.

Tom, the show I made shows as a MP4 that will play in my own pc if I click on the file in the folder. I downloaded a program that burns ISO files and did that....but when I looked at it in windows explorer, it had the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folder. Again I am not familiar with these formats so this may be correct. Still would not play in our dvd player.

Ken, I tried burning the dvd in the P2E program and downloaded an ISO burner and a program called DeepBurner that is just a DVD burner. In other words I have tried everything I know.

Yachtsman I was looking at the file size on my pc and I see 237 mb. When I looked at the burned DVD's there was only a small area burned. I only have about 50 700 x 700 low quality pictures, some extreme basic transitions and one MP3 song. I am not a master but I don't think that would exceed 4 Gig.....but again I don't know for sure

DAWN

VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folder.

are standard folders for a dvd

if you looked at a store bought dvd movie the folders would be the same

if you checked the properties of the folder

VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folder. are in what size are you showing

there will be nothing in AUDIO_TS folder.

ken

DAWN

VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folder.

are standard folders for a dvd

if you looked at a store bought dvd movie the folders would be the same

if you checked the properties of the folder

VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folder. are in what size are you showing

there will be nothing in AUDIO_TS folder.

ken

Hi Yachtsman and Ken,

I submitted a ticket to tech support as well, and they responded that they are aware there is an issue with the burning software and that it will be fixed in the next update.....and suggested using an alternate program in the meantime. But I did try another program as I posted above and still N/G....

I looked at the video folder and it says 235 MB....

Dawn

the contents of the video folder are all different type files but one of them should give you some indication

so if you open the folder

r mouse each, one at a time - give open with command -- select windows media player [wmp]

what are your results

ken

Dawn

What version of PTE are you using?

Did you check out the tutorial in my previous post?

Yachtsman1.

I have the latest version of 7.5.4

Yes I watched it to the very end and that is exactly what I did...except in the manual it suggest changing one setting in project options to "progressive" which I did do

Dawn

the contents of the video folder are all different type files but one of them should give you some indication

so if you open the folder

r mouse each, one at a time - give open with command -- select windows media player [wmp]

what are your results

ken

I opened the video folder and clicked on the first VIDEO_TS icon, which is an IFO file, and it started to play on my pc. But in a dvd player you don't get access to those folders.....my machine just tells me it can't play this kind of disc and shows nothing but zeros.

At least I am making progress and can at least play it on my computer *doing the happy dance* :) Thank you !

Guest Yachtsman1

I have the latest version of 7.5.4

Yes I watched it to the very end and that is exactly what I did...except in the manual it suggest changing one setting in project options to "progressive" which I did do

Dawn

Last try, don't change anything, as I said in the demo, my default is interlaced & it works in 7.07, I don't recall there being any changes in Video Builder in 7.5, but I could be wrong, worth one last try before support does something, if this is a common bug in 7.5 as you are saying, I'm sure it would have been mentioned before. :blink:/>

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-75800500-1360268064_thumb.jp

Dawn

Last try, don't change anything, as I said in the demo, my default is interlaced & it works in 7.07, I don't recall there being any changes in Video Builder in 7.5, but I could be wrong, worth one last try before support does something, if this is a common bug in 7.5 as you are saying, I'm sure it would have been mentioned before. :blink:/>/>

Yachtsman1

I tried it with interlaced and it appears it is another blank disc.....although the dvd shows a burned area. I tried viewing it in Windows Media and when I clicked on the drive here is what I see.....

post-12008-0-25692800-1360271046_thumb.g

Guest Yachtsman1

I tried it with interlaced and it appears it is another blank disc.....although the dvd shows a burned area. I tried viewing it in Windows Media and when I clicked on the drive here is what I see.....

So the only difference now? is the disc type? What size does video builder say the file is, more screen shots during your burn process would help.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-81817800-1360274909_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Off to bed now, providing you have complied will all suggestions I made and still haven't burned a workable DVD, my last resort would be to download the previous version and try that, if that doesn't work for you, you have problems with your hardware or technique, not PTE programme problems. See http://www.wnsoft.com/archives/

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-54231000-1360281954_thumb.jp

At the moment we only have the one dedicated dvd player.....but I tried every dvd in my new pc just now. Only one had anything on it, which was the video and audio folders, but every time I tried to run it, it stopped at 8 seconds. I shut down the program 4 times through task manager and tried again.....and it was the same story.

Yachtsman....don't know if it's worth the frustration of burning other dvd's when the software does not seem to be working. If the designers admit there is a bug, I am sincerely hoping they are right.

I want to try the other burning program someone suggested, but honestly leary of trying yet another one. But I guess i gotta kiss a lot of frogs before I find the Prince LOL

Dawn

I was thinking you may have a neighbour who wouldn't mind popping the disk in their DVD player for you. If it did work OK, then at least you would know where to look

I am sure the very gal I made the wedding slide show would not mind trying it out for me :) She has the weekend off so I will ask her if she could try it at her home. Will report back ;)

DawnG,

I want to try the other burning program someone suggested, but honestly leary of trying yet another one

Its also possible to burn ISO image files with PTE-VideoBuilder without having to use/install other 3rd party software.

1. First, you must Create ISO Image file using PTE-VideoBuilder. (I assume you know how to open VideoBuilder by selecting Publish|DVD Video Disc on the top main menu bar of PTE program.)

2. Once in VideoBuilder last step compliation screen ... select only Create ISO Image checkbox. (No other checkbox options are required)

*See attachment, 1_Create_ISO_file.jpg

3. If the ISO Image file is successfully created ... you can then proceed from VideoBuilder main window and select File|Burn ISO Image.

*See attachments, 2_Select_Burn_ISO.jpg and 3_Burn_ISO_File.jpg

* I prefer ISO Image file creation over directly burning to DVD Disc. The saved ISO file can be used over and over at later dates for additional DVD Discs and other needs. ISO files can also be mounted and played just like a DVD Disc (using other software, not thru PTE.)

post-45-0-46329500-1360501004_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-81904700-1360501014_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-64292800-1360501026_thumb.jpg