WnSoft Forums

v7.5 releases not using UPX compressor

nobeefstu

Igor,

There appears to be a issue with v7.5 releases (beta 14 and full) not properly being packed with the UPX file compressor. My tools have revealed the published executable is in a decompressed state with no internal UPX indicators.

Please look into this issue. Thanks

See topic

Additional Note:

Both Publish to EXE for PC and Publish Safe EXE for Internet reveal this same UPX issue.

We stopped using UPX since v7.5 because of cases of false positives with antivirus software.

You can manually pack your shows with UPX:

Find PCExecutable.dat file in PicturesToExe's folder. Rename to PCExecutable.exe pack this file with UPX utility (download from http://upx.sourceforge.net/ and read the instruction) then put packed PCExecutable.exe back to PicturesToExe folder and rename to PCExecutable.dat

Igor,

Thanks for the update information.

However, when testing UPX or ASPack compressor tools on v7.5 builds ... I get the Slideshow Error - Slideshow File not Found message. The same tools work just fine for v7.07 builds without error.

* I can successfully edit the v7.55 EXE file with new VERSION resource data ... and the EXE file works as uncompressed. However once compressed, the Slideshow Error appears. Decompressing the file back again allows playback. (v7.07 files worked correctly and didnot show this behavior).

*Allow Modification setting is enabled.

Have you successfully compressed v7.55 with UPX ?

I just tested - it works fine with version 7.5.5.

1. I downloaded UPX from http://upx.sourceforge.net/#downloadupx (version for Windows)

2. I put pack-file.bat file (see attached ZIP archive) to a folder with upx.exe file.

3. Put PCExecutable.dat file to same folder.

4. Run this .BAT file. PCExecutable.dat will have new file size - around 400 KB.

5. Copy compressed to PicturesToExe's folder and replace old file. You need administrator rights to replace the file.

No need to change any option in PTE.

I didn't test with custom icon file assigned for EXE file. Probably it doesn't work.

pack-file.zip

Igor,

I believe I found whats creating the Slideshow Error - Slideshow File not Found issue Iam having.

Compressing the standalone PC.EXE version still results in the error message when attempting playback. It appears that the standalone PC.EXE version is looking for the ptshow file (that is normally only distributed with the two part SAFE.EXE version.) See image attachment.

However, If I place a ptshow file (from the SAFE.EXE files) into the standalone PC.EXE version ... the standalone PC.EXE version file works correctly without the playback error issue.

*Compressing standalone PC.EXE version file requires a ptshow file for successful playback. 2 files should not be necessary for standalone PC.EXE version in this case.

*Compressing SAFE.EXE version provides successful playback. 2 files required are normal for SAFE.EXE version in this case.

*Can you also test and verify this result with compressed standalone PC.EXE version file when you have time?

Note:

Just to inform you ... custom icon files will work as long as they are excluded from the compression scheme.

Thanks for working with me on this.

post-45-0-61839300-1362442004_thumb.jpg

What sort of impact does this compression have on the size of the standalone EXE file?

What factors affect the compression ratio? e.g., if the source files were bloated bitmap and wav, will you get better compression than if the source files were more efficient jpeg and mp3? (I'm assuming that the jpeg and mp3 source files were not created with bloated options to begin with.)

nobeefstu,

I forgot to say that it's impossible to pack with UPX safe executable file. Because this EXE file has our digital signature. Only we can do it on our side (pack EXE file with UPX and then embedd the digital signature).

sds,

Project files (JPEG image, MP3) don't require further compression. But EXE file also contains a program code which run slideshow. Size of this code is around 1 MB. Only this part can be effectively compressed.

You can reach same result as with UPX compressor if you pack EXE file with slideshow into a ZIP archive.

UPX provokes cases of false positives sometimes with certain antiviruses, so we decided not to use it anymore.