WnSoft Forums

Creating a copy button rather than a print button

4ipilot

I've created a picture slideshow and would like to create a button in O&A that would have an action of copy rather than print. The photos are of an important family function and there are requests to copy rather than print a photo of their choice. The slideshow was created in both EXE for PC and the equivalent for Mac. If there were a way to do this without the button that would help also. Just would like to have the ability to copy from the slideshow. I have a sneaky suspicion there is an obvious answer but if there is, I don't see it. Thank you for your help.

Jack

Hi Jack,

You can't really "create" a button or feature which copies a particular image in your slideshow using PicturesToExe. The way you have to proceed is to create your slideshow with manual advance and then use a screen capture software to capture the image and save it to a file. Thought there are a number of screen capture software programs, some free, actually perhaps the best one was created by a former PTE forum member named Granot. This is a very tiny executable file which allows you to simply press a keystroke and it captures and saves the image currently displayed on screen. I can't tell you exactly how to use it - I believe it is pretty much self-explanatory, but here is a link to the zipped exe file. Granot named it RestorePTE.

Link To RestorePTE

I'm not certain if this version linked above will work with the latest versions of PTE. The issue is how to get the control box on top of the PTE show if the show isn't running in a window.... Perhaps someone else has a better and newer solution for you.

You also may want to look here:

Free Screen Capture Tools Link

If you do a search on the PTE forums for "restorePTE" you will find discussions about this.

Best regards,

Lin

Jack and Lin,

Actually a SAVE Image feature was available when allowing/showing the Print option in the Navigation Bar (not available in Video Bar) in previous v7 builds and v6 builds.

For some reason this feature/option has quietly dissappeared in recent v7.5 builds or is not funtional because of unreported bug tests. Actually in my tests of v7.5 the Print function window display also has focus ontop placement issues and needs correcting.

Try previous v 7.06 and make sure to enable option to Allow to Restore Images on Print button in Project Option - Control tab.

*See attachment shot of the SAVE image on Print function window that was available previously.

post-45-0-00009200-1365944958_thumb.jpg

Additional Notes on my above post:

Actually in my tests of v7.5 the Print function window display also has focus ontop placement issues and needs correcting.

The Print window display will focus ontop properly if enable Screen option - Non Exclusive Fullscreen Mode. This setting is required for XP and some other OS settings users may have.

However, the Allow to Restore Images on Print button in Project Options or Preferences settings is not an available option in v7.5. I dont know if Igor removed this feature by design or just overlooked in it v7.5 development. He has quietly disappeared some not so frequently used options in the past to clean up the user interface :rolleyes:

The Print feature is also allowed as an Action on Mouse Click on some objects and not just the Nav Bar ... which I neglected to state above.

*It would be nice to have this Save image on Print option restored on v7.5 even though some users may never or not actively use it all the time.

I have never found the image quality from a screen capture to be of any real use.

Images used in PTE are normally of a very low resolution.

I use 'Snagit' as my screen capture program and I find that it is better than most.

Ron

Ron,

I have never found the image quality from a screen capture to be of any real use.

Images used in PTE are normally of a very low resolution

Actually, the Save image on PTE's Print function ( using main image only checkbox) would save/extract the same image used in the EXE. So if you had a high quality image inside to begin with ... you would get the same exact high quality image in return. Bottom line is you get back the same image file what you originally put in.

Hi Jack,

You can't really "create" a button or feature which copies a particular image in your slideshow using PicturesToExe. The way you have to proceed is to create your slideshow with manual advance and then use a screen capture software to capture the image and save it to a file. Thought there are a number of screen capture software programs, some free, actually perhaps the best one was created by a former PTE forum member named Granot. This is a very tiny executable file which allows you to simply press a keystroke and it captures and saves the image currently displayed on screen. I can't tell you exactly how to use it - I believe it is pretty much self-explanatory, but here is a link to the zipped exe file. Granot named it RestorePTE.

Link To RestorePTE

I'm not certain if this version linked above will work with the latest versions of PTE. The issue is how to get the control box on top of the PTE show if the show isn't running in a window.... Perhaps someone else has a better and newer solution for you.

You also may want to look here:

Free Screen Capture Tools Link

If you do a search on the PTE forums for "restorePTE" you will find discussions about this.

Best regards,

Lin

<You can't really "create" a button or feature which copies a particular image in your slideshow using PicturesToExe. The way you have to proceed is to create your slideshow with manual advance and then use a screen capture software to capture the image and save it to a file.>

Thanks Lin. I do have screen capture software and will suggest this to those that want to "copy" the photos, although they will probably have many problems in doing so (little computer experience). But I now know the answer and will proceed from here. Thank you so much, and everyone else's help in this matter.

Jack

Just to confirm that it works:

Use the PTE Print command and Print to PDF.

This opens in the Adobe Product and when sized at screen resolution is an alternative to Print Screen.

DG

Thanks DG. That's a great idea. Will try this method as it may be easier for those who are not as skilled at using the computer - I'm beginning to question myself. I'll advise one person who has contact with all those that are viewing the slideshow, as to how to use your alternative. Great advice and thanks again.

Jack

Just be aware of resolution issues?

The pdf will need to be resized to screen resolution.

DG

Many thanks to Lin, DG, nobeefstu, and Ron for your help with the Print/Save option for the slideshow. I took the advice and went back to version 7.0.3 and the Print/Save function was there and worked. All is well and everyone is happy. Thanks again for your expertise.

Jack