WnSoft Forums

(SOLVED) Trouble with Keyframes

cgbraggjr

I thought I knew what I was doing, but.... I want to change an animation. It has beginning and ending keyframes (kf1 and kf2) and the pan from kf1 to kf2 is fine. What I would like to do is add a third keyframe after kf2 so the pan/zoom goes from kf1 to kf2 and then changes direction to go to kf3. What happens is that when I add kf3, kf2 is ignored. The pan/zoom goes from kf1 to kf3 and it's as if kf2 does not exist.

What have I forgotten/left out?

It sounds as if perhaps you have something other than "linear" set for your initial PZR's.

In order to get it right, you must do all your programming in Linear mode then make your changes to smooth, accelerate, etc., "after" all the keyframes and position or size or rotate values have been made. If you have made keyframes then changed to a non-linear mode, you simply need to select a keyframe and change back to "linear" then make your keyframe changes and once again set the non-linear mode desired.

So the procedure is highlight keyframe one and create a new keyframe. Drag the second keyframe to the position where you want the zoom or pan to stop. Make sure your second keyframe is highlighted and "drag" the image to the new size and/or position. Create a third keyframe drag the keyframe to the timeline position where you want the pan or zoom change to end then being certain your third keyframe is highlighted, drag the image to the new PZR position. All of this should be done in "Linear" mode. Once this is done, highlight any of the keyframes and set the PZR (do all of them regardless if only one has changed) to your new choice of non-linear movement.

If you want to "hold" a position for a period of time, you will need a fourth keyframe. In other words actions on keyframes are continuous and to hold a position such as a zoom, pan or rotate value, you need a minimum of an additional keyframe with identical value in terms of zoom, pan or rotate as the preceding one.

Probably a good idea for you to review PZR by going to the Tutorials section and checking out some of the tutorials on how this works.

Best regards,

Lin

Just to clarify what Xaver has suggested. If you simply click on any keyframe and then in the Animations Tab of the Objects and Animations screen where "any" action is not "Linear" - click on the little down arrow and simply change the action to "Linear." All keyframes will be automatically separated and returned to Linear motion. There is no need to separate individual keyframes.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin - I tried this. I even started over with only one keyframe (at the beginning) set to linear in all modes, added keyframes, panned and zoomed the new keyframes, and everything was fine. Then I changed the first keyframe to 'smooth' and the same thing happened - the middle keyframe was ignored.

Also, if it matters, the first keyframe read 'custom' and not 'linear' after I added keyframes and pans. Why did it change from 'linear' on its own?

And, I am doing a perspective pan inside a frame, if *that* makes a difference.

Two possibilities: Either you did not go into Custom and Glue all keyframes after doing the perspective zoom or you have some slight rotate or pan which did not get keframes glued.

The essence is that whenever you do a pan or a zoom or a rotate, it's just good insurance to set the same values on the other two actions. There is no penalty for doing this and it is excellent practice.

So you made a perspective zoom and you notice that the action has changed to custom... This means that somewhere you have a non-linear action set between keyframes. If you click on the Custom tab down arrow and then click on each place where it says "separate here" you will resolve the issue.

Again - here is the link to the tutorial on PZR which is good to review. Scroll down to the first tutorial #1 and download and watch....

My link

I would review this - if you can't resolve the issue, please make a zip backup of your project and post a link. I'll sort it out for you and explain where the problem is.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin - The tutorial #1 does not get far enough into PZR to illuminate. I do understand those basic steps. I have made a zip file and it is at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32951677/AntarcticTest_Apr29-2013_15-53-41.zip

This slide has 3 keyframes, all animation modes set to linear. It first pans left, and then at the second keyframe it pans right and zooms to the third keyframe. As soon as an animation mode is changed to 'smooth' the second keyframe is ignored and all action goes smoothly (heh) from the first to the third keyframe.

The file is 14 megs because there is a PNG file involved. I couldn't make it smaller.

Thanks in advance - Argonaut

See if this doesn't do what you want....

My link

Here is the procedure: set all three to smooth. Click on the down arrow beside "linear" then click on "smooth" Do this for all three "Pan, Zoom and Rotate." Click on the down arrow beside "Smooth" and then click on "Setting Up." Click on "Separate Here" and the designation will change to "Glue Here." Click on "O.K."

Do this for pan, zoom and rotate. Save your work and try Preview and everything "should" work as you expect.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Evans says:

See if this doesn't do what you want....

It does! Thank you!

I think default behavior has changed over versions because I never ran into this problem before. In fact, your PZR for Smarties tutorial written for V5.0 shows all keyframes behaving in the 'separated' manner without any diving into the "Settings" menu.

Thanks again!

Actually, the PZR hasn't changed - but I "should" have suggested you look at the further tutorials on "non-linear" motion. I believe they start with #5 where I discuss the requirements for separating, gluing, etc.

Here's a link to my entire collection of tutorials - browse through the subjects written in red and I think maybe some of them might be helpful.

Click on the "tutorials" link to get to the collection:

My link

Best regards,

Lin