WnSoft Forums

Nikon D600

davegee

Hello Dave,

I purchased the D600 as a backup for the D800 when travelling. The fact that it uses the same battery and many of the same controls was a bonus.

Personally I don`t think you can go wrong with this camera once you see the files it produces.

Amazing image quality! DXOMark rated this camera as the 3rd highest ever, among all tested cameras–just behind the D800 and D800e for overall sensor quality (based on color depth, dynamic range, and low-light performance).

Very low noise at high ISOs. (but has slightly more noise than D800 & D3s)

I have heard rumours that the issues with dust and oil spots seems to be improved with the newer productions. I have to clean mine quite often compared to the D800.

I prefer to use a dedicated AF-ON button rather than using a shutter half-press to lock focus. The D600 doesn’t have the AF-ON button, only the AE-L/AF-L. You can re-program that button.

Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) is limited to 3 frames and +/- up to 3 f-stops on the D600.

Depending on which lens is on the D600 or the D800 in my bag is the one I reach for as both produce excellent quality.

Take care,

Kieron

Hi Keiron and thanks for the reply.

I picked up the D600 this week as a replacement for the D700 which loved.

Dust – I tried an f22 test straight away as a reference shot but could find nothing – so far!!

The High ISO has improved over the D700 – and I was pleased with the D700!!

I rarely used the AF Button so won't miss it.

I have re-programmed the Function and Stop Down Buttons to Spot Metering and Fv Lock respectively and will look at others as time goes by.

The Auto Bracketing is not really an issue. I was using 5 frame brackets but found the three was sufficient for most scenarios.

The one that I will really miss and will take a little time to get used to is the OK Button in Image Review – I usually check at 100% before moving on and the D600 takes a little while longer to do this.

Dust again – I have been trying to discipline myself into using a single lens when I go out these days. Either my 16-35mm f4 VR or the 70-300mm VR. Sometimes I use the 50mm f1.4 or the 105 f2.8 VR all day. Whilst not the main reason for doing this a by-product is that lens changing is reduced and along with it the risk of picking up dust from outside. The dust vibration system on the D700 was excellent and I'm hoping for good things from the D600. I have it turned to Power Up and Power Down at present.

Can I PM you from time to time with queries that the manual does not cover?

Best wishes,

DG

Hello Dave,

I know what you mean about the 100% view and most people find it strange that it was not addressed in the latest firmware.

The great thing about the files is the ability to crop into the frame.

I purchased Thom Hogan`s manual for the D800 and find it has more information than the one supplied by Nikon and may do the same for the D600.

Coming from the D700 you will feel right at home.

Happy shooting, and feel free to email me anytime.

Take care,

Kieron