WnSoft Forums

Updating an slide show exe to the latest version (7.5.8)

I realise that a slide show created with an older version of PTE will not run on a later version but when I attempt to re-build the exe file, it just will not run. I keep on getting the massage open the projrct and re=build the exe in the latest version'

Queatiion:

Do I have to open the original project with the older version of PTE and then create the slide show or do I open the old project file with the newer version of PTE and then create the nw exe file. I am confused! Advice would be very welcome please.

Ron West

Hi Ron,

I think it's the other way around. A "newer" project created with PTE will not open with an older version. All "older" PTE projects "should" open with newer versions. The software is backward compatible.

If you have an older PTE project (dot PTE file) - just open it with a newer version of pte and output as an exe file. It "should" work just fine. The only possible exception I can think of is if you may have used an undocumented feature such as the conversion from color to sepia or to B&W. Later versions of PTE did not have that feature as far as I know, so may have problems running slides handled that way. Otherwise older pte files can be opened normally with later versions of PTE and EXE files "should" be able to be created. If you have one which won't work, send the PTE file to Igor for analysis.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I could be wrong but I think that even the Colour/B+W feature should not prevent the file opening. It will just ignore any feature it can't find or, at worst, give you an error message which you can accept and carry on.

I'm sure someone with the version with Colour/B+W would confirm this (or otherwise??).

Ron,

Can you post a screen shot of the error message.

BTW, are you talking about PTE running on a MAC under some sort of parallel system?

DG

Hi David,

I really don't know whether using the undocumented features will or will not affect the ability to open and create exe file with later versions. I agree with you that it "probably" wouldn't be an issue except that the actual exe created probably would not be identical to the one created with the original version because the feature would not be recognized. I only offered it as a "possible" explanation for a failure, but I certainly can't say because I haven't tried to do that. I think I still have 7.0 on my system so I could try it and see what happens and get back.... I really have no other explanation for a failure of a later version to open and create and exe with an older PTE file.

Best regards,

Lin