WnSoft Forums

Picture Quality Lost

Igor

I have mentioned this before, so forgive me for raising it again, but we have just had a slide show posted called Amalfi Coast. The author made it at 1024*768, but of course when I view the show on my 1920*1200 screen, the image quality is not good. Is there not anyway that this can be addressed so that when a smaller slide show is made its not automatically expanded to fill larger resolution monitors.

Anyone viewing this slide show who didn't realise what caused this may believe that PTE's picture quality is not that good.

I was going to leave it go but since BB has mentioned it I will also comment.

If for whatever reason the author needs to use 1024x768 images in a 1024x768 project the facilities are already there to prevent what BB describes. Fixed size of slide limits the size of the show on ANY monitor to project size. Alternatively using Window mode will do much the same thing.

DG

Dave

That's all very well, but there are experienced PTE users who don't appreciate what that little tick box does and how significant it can be. How is a newer user to PTE supposed to find that out.

If a new user sets 1024*768 and 4:3 aspect ratio, logic dictates that is what that author should expect to get. Its not that its a rare occurrence, practically every small show falls foul of the same issue. I am sure many authors would be horrified to know that their pictures look terrible on other monitors all because the images are enlarged without their knowledge.

If its fixable, it needs fixing. if not perhaps PTE needs to consider tool tips at some stage

Barry,

I don't disagree with your question. It might well be that something as simple as making the Fixed Size of Slide ticked by default will do what you ask?

A warning message appearing when it is unticked would also help to advise anyone of the implications of the action.

I the meantime the means to "help one's self" is there and is part of the learning curve.

DG

Dave

I don't disagree with your question. It might well be that something as simple as making the Fixed Size of Slide ticked by default will do what you ask?

I have suggested this before, but I can't recall what Igor's response was. You can see part of the problem in the post above. He may be seeing the slide show at 4:3, but on a 24in monitor he is seeing enlarged images and therefore poorer quality images and doesn't even realise it. How many others new to PTE are doing the same. This issue also spills over to any smaller images we create for Picture in picture and other projects. If I make a picture 800 pixels wide to sit in the middle on my screen, in what circumstances would I want that 800 pixel image stretched to 1920 pixels, yet that is exactly what I will get.

It's not logical, but perhaps it's not technically possible