WnSoft Forums

Nikon Distortion Control Data camera update

goddi

Gary,

If you read the small print it will indicate that these presets only apply when using the RETOUCH MENU.

They are not applied to RAW files and they are not applied to the original JPEG SOOC.

At least that's the case with my D600.

If Distortion Control is an issue it is MUCH better to handle it in CNX2.

DG

====================

Hmmm.....I don't see that about 'only in Retouch Menu'. I see "Distortion control data are used to correct barrel and pincushion distortion during shooting and editing. They can be loaded into cameras that support distortion control." It seems to apply to all Nikon supported cameras in the same way.

Well, I did the update and it all went well. If it helps, great. You never know....biggrin.gif/>

Gary

PS You can check out some comments at DPReview: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/07/19/nikon-updates-distortion-correction-data-for-DSLRs-adding-latest-lenses?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=generic

Hi Gary,

That DPReview article and the answers are interesting.

I agree that Distortion Control can be applied via the Shooting Menu, but it is a fixed correction - ON or OFF - and detail at the extreme edges is lost.

In the retouch menu it can be varied in much the same way as in CNX2. So because I use RAW exclusively and run everything through CNX2 I think that the obvious best practice (for me) is to do the distortion control in-computer rather than in-camera where it can be varied to suit the shooting circumstances (if required).

All of my lenses are covered by the previous version so I will pass on this. The only lens I have which would require correction would be the 16-35mm f4 at the wide end when shooting buildings etc.

Thanks for pointing that out. There is a lot of misunderstanding about this and Nikon are not really the best communicators are they?

DG

Gary,

Further thoughts:

Since any adjustments made to Nikon RAW files in-camera other than WB are only recognized when using CNX2, is there any point in the non-CNX2 user updating the Distortion Correction??

I think that this is where the misunderstanding crept in!!

DG

Gary,

Further thoughts:

Since any adjustments made to Nikon RAW files in-camera other than WB are only recognized when using CNX2, is there any point in the non-CNX2 user updating the Distortion Correction??

I think that this is where the misunderstanding crept in!!

DG

======================

Dave,

Yes, I'd rather do any adjustments outside the camera. I still shoot JPGs. I did the update but I assume that I'd have to actually apply it through a camera menu...if I wanted to...for in- camera adjustments.

Gary

PS Yes, I just checked in my D7000. The Auto Distortion Control is 'off'.

Hi Gary,

I have posted this elsewhere:

"This issue revolves around two main factors:

a. Do you shoot JPEG or RAW (NEF)

b. Do you use CNX2 or a third party RAW converter

If you are a JPEG shooter then turning the Distortion Control ON in-camera will apply the control applicable to the lens and focal length and this is irreversible. The alternative is to use the Retouch Menu where it is controllable and you then have two versions of the same image.

If you shoot RAW the appearance is the same but the Distortion Control is reversible in CNX2. You can accept the Automatic Distortion Control or turn it off and use the Manual Distortion Control as an Edit Step (using the same Nikon Lens Data - if your CNX2 is up to date). It's my belief that third party Raw Converters do not recognise the Distortion Control applied in-camera - I am not able to prove this with my D600 files.

So, the bottom line seems to be that if you are a RAW (NEF) shooter and do not use CNX2 the process of updating the Distortion Control Update and applying it in camera does absolutely nothing in Post Processing.

Is that a fair statement?"

DG