WnSoft Forums

Optimising a video clip

New project, single slide with a .MOV file. Try to preview. PTE suggests optimizing, I agree. I don't want "Same folder", so I choose another.

The new folder field needs to have a trailing backslash inserted. I found the optimized .AVI file was in E:\xxx\folderfilename, rather than E:\xxx\folder\filename.

Should be the easiest fix ever? Thank you!

aplman (Ken T)

Further discovery: When I choose a folder for the optimized video clip by browsing the folder hierarchy, PTE puts the chosen folder path name in the edit field, but it won't allow me to type in the trailing backslash.

aplman (Ken T)

APLman,

The Video Converter does not have an editable text field for the destination file. Try using the create new folder function in the SAVE AS window to perform your change of folder needs.(see attachment)

Hi Stu!

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your suggestion for a workaround.

This might be an example of the need for separate Forum sections ... separating requests for help from reports of bugs and design shortcomings. I thought this case was in the latter category, so I expected to be communicating directly with the wonderful Igor and his team.

I have indeed found my own way around the problem -- editing the .pte (text) file. However, my reason for posting was to alert Igor and his team to the problem. I can think of several reasons in support of having an editable field for the destination folder. But while we don't have that luxury, then the PTE software needs to insert the necessary backslash.

Regards ...

Ken T (aplman)

Ken

why did you not put the thread in the suggestions section -- as you offered a suggestion to the overall code of the program in your first entry??

as you are the originator of the thread you can move it to the suggestions area.

ken

Ken, my initial post was to point out a flaw in the present system, which could be fixed in a few milliseconds of programming time. Perhaps I exaggerate a little, but sometimes one must exaggerate to make a point!

Ken T (aplman)

Ken (APLman)

I think you would be better off following Ken Cox's suggestion and move this topic to Ideas and Suggestions. Its libel to get lost thru time and be forgotten. Igor always looks to Ideas and Suggestions for any changes, fixes, etc ... even flaws (which dont quite fit the bug call. :rolleyes:

Ken (APLman)

I think you would be better off following Ken Cox's suggestion and move this topic to Ideas and Suggestions. Its libel to get lost thru time and be forgotten. Igor always looks to Ideas and Suggestions for any changes, fixes, etc ... even flaws (which dont quite fit the bug call. :rolleyes:/>

I don't know how to move an item to a different sub-forum. Nor do I know how to bring a specific post to Igor's attention. Any help will be appreciated.

Ken T (aplman)

Guest Yachtsman1

I don't know how to move an item to a different sub-forum. Nor do I know how to bring a specific post to Igor's attention. Any help will be appreciated.

Ken T (aplman)

Copy the URL of your original post & send Igor a PM with the URL attached.

Yachtsman1.

APLman,

The Video Converter does not have an editable text field for the destination file. Try using the create new folder function in the SAVE AS window to perform your change of folder needs.(see attachment)

Still same problem. New folder path still needs a trailing backslash appended. PTE program needs to append the backslash to the folder path/name selected by the user.

At the moment, if I have a project file "Project1.pte", and I create a new folder "drive:\path\newfoldername", the converted AVI file gets stored in "drive:\path" with file name "newfoldernameProject1.pte". That's clearly wrong, and can be confusing too.

This is not a suggestion for a future version. I'm highlighting a flaw in the present version, which I'm sure Igor would want to fix in a trice. There would be no need to request an editable field if the basic problem could be fixed. PLEASE!!!

Ken T. (aplman)

Ken,

I have followed this thread and to the best of my knowledge from the evidence above, no one has actually tried this on your behalf?

I just did and you are correct.

FWIW, I think that it is a BUG and should be reported as such.

It could possibly be fixed in a new version.

Why not start a new thread in V7.5 and CLEARLY mark it BUG REPORT.

This might then serve to help well meaning Mods to differentiate between suggestions and bugs.rolleyes.gif/>.

DG

Dave,

I have followed this thread and to the best of my knowledge from the evidence above, no one has actually tried this on your behalf?

Maybe between you and APLman, you could post a screenshot of the text field that is not editing properly. It may well be that Iam testing in a different window of the converter program than you two. This way we are all on the same playing field.

Hi Stu,

Screen shot not appropriate - not necessary.

I followed Ken's instructions to the letter and produced the same result.

Create a folder (Folder A) - put a movie in it.

In PTE, drag the movie into the slide list.

Agree to Convert.

In the box untick "same folder" and create a new sub-folder - Folder B.

Start the Conversion.

When it is finished you SHOULD have your movie (xxxxConverted.mov) in Folder B.

Folder B is EMPTY.

I found my movie in Folder A with the name:

FolderA/ Folder BxxxxConverted.Mov.

It takes longer to explain it than to do it.

DG