WnSoft Forums

Windows 7 32/64-bit Big Problem (not new!) [SOLVED]

orizaba

I need help!

I just bought a new computer 100% up-to-date and installed WINDOWS 7 64-bit ULTIMATE (but same problem with 32-bit version).

Computer:

- Intel Core i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4900MQ (2,80GHz) 8 MB

- RAM 32 GB

- Intel 520 series SSD 120 GB SSDSC2CW120A3K5 (system only)

- Western Digital Scorpio Black 750 GB

- All drivers 100% updated.

3 months ago I made a 19 minutes slideshow in my other 3 years old computer working with WINDOWS XP SP3, and slideshow runs 100% smooth on it, either on timeline viewer, objects & animation viewer, full screen mode and even the EXE file. Slideshow was made with PTE 7.0.7. and it has several slides with very hard annimations and effects, including several videos running at the same time. Nevertheless, as I said, program runs 100% smooth on XP SP3.

When I try to run this same slideshow on this new computer (Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit versions, I already tried both of them) it's a complete disaster!

Even in the "easier" slides, PTE is not smooth at all, and in the most "severe" it happens that timeline moving arrow stops but show goes on (video and audio). Sudenly the arrow jumps forward in the timeline, "catching" the slide showing at the moment, and while it is stoped, program is frozen (not possible to pause or stop) even if it is running (video and audio).

I can't immagine what is the problem. Computer is state-of-the-art, and slideshow is in good condition and performing well with an old computer with XP SP3.

I already tried the troubleshoot compatibility option of PTE, changed it from XP SP2 to XP SP3, but no results at all.

I even made a new slideshow using this new computer (Windows 7 32-bit), and for this I copied/paste 1 only slide of my mentioned slideshow. Running experience is the same disaster. And it is a show already built in the new computer, not in the old one using XP SP3.

I also tried to use actual PTE v 7.5.10, and results are the same.

So, what might be happening with PTE and Windows 7?

Thanks for some help.

Jose

Guest Yachtsman1

Further to Lin's query, does your new machine have 2 video cards? When I bought my new machine 18 months ago I had a similar problem & found it had two cards installed & I had to tell PTE to use the high end card.

Yachtsman1.

Further to Lin's query, does your new machine have 2 video cards? When I bought my new machine 18 months ago I had a similar problem & found it had two cards installed & I had to tell PTE to use the high end card.

Yachtsman1.

Thanks to Lin and Yachtman1.

Sorry Lin, I failed to mention my video card: AMD RADEON HD 8970M - 4 GB DDR5.

And yes, I can see that my computer has 2 video cards, the "primary" one is INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4600, 1,37 GB RAM.

You are right: right-clicking on desktop, you open "Configure Switchable Graphics" and for each program you can choose Graphics Settings "High Performance", "Power Saving" or "Based on Power Source" (since this is a 17,3" Notebook). All this in AMD Catalyst Control Center.

I could see that all programs were to work in "Power Saving" mode, so, working with "primary" video card only, I suppose. Is this so?

When I changed PTE to "High Performance" mode... it was a new world! Everything runs 100% smooth. And this with Windows 7 32-bit, because that is the one installed by now.

I must now format "C" and install a clean 64-bit version, and I hope results are even better.

By the way, this puts me now another problem: I would like my "old" computer to be installed with Windows 7 64-bit as well. But it has not any "primary" video card, only an ATI HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 128-bit, processor is INTEL CORE i5-750, 16 GB RAM. I think I have no solution, unless changing computer! One year ago I had big problems with PTE in such computer with WINDOWS 7 64-bit, and I had to keep XP SP3.

Thanks again,

Jose

Guest Yachtsman1

Glad my suggestion cured the problem. Re your old computer, looking at the specification I don't think W7 64bit would operate correctly, either leave it as it is or another new machine. :)

Yachtsman1.

Glad my suggestion cured the problem. Re your old computer, looking at the specification I don't think W7 64bit would operate correctly, either leave it as it is or another new machine. :)/>/>

Yachtsman1.

"Leaving as it is": as you know, Microsoft will stop WINDOWS XP support (updates, security, etc.) next 08 April 2014, so I don't think advisable to go on with it, I should change to W7.

Motherboard is INTEL DP55KG (chipset INTEL P55 compatible with AMD CROSSFIRE technology).

Graphics card is AMD RADEON HD 5770, compatible to be paired with a second AMD card, under AMD CROSSFIRE technology.

This way, I think that I only must install another AMD graphics card (not necessary to be equal to the existing one), and pair it, hoping that PTE runs smooth under W7 (32 or 64-bit).

I should like to hear about this. After all, I think that some members upgraded from XP to W7, and keeping their computers.

Thanks.

"Leaving as it is": as you know, Microsoft will stop WINDOWS XP support (updates, security, etc.) next 08 April 2014, so I don't think advisable to go on with it, I should change to W7.

Jose,

What is the real risk (not the perceived risk) of retaining stable hardware and stable software?

I run two systems: a desktop on which I do all my day-to-day work, including the development of new PTE sequences, and a laptop which I use, connected to my digital projector, to present the finished work to an audience. I have always tried to ensure that the laptop is of a better spec than the desktop. If the desktop suddenly develops a problem, I can always finish any time-critical work on the laptop because all my data is stored on external hard drives. Because I work in this way, I do not have to ensure that I keep both systems up to the latest standard. I can safely let the desktop fall behind because I can always, for a short period of time, do the day-to-day work on the laptop (until I get the desktop fixed, upgraded or replaced). I'm actually in that position right now. The desktop's video card is such a low spec that it cannot run even mildly complex animations smoothly. I need to get a better video card fitted at some point in the future. But for now I live with the "problem".

regards,

Peter