WnSoft Forums

(Solved) Font not found in Win8 (but was in Win7)

goddi

Greetings,

I just came across a problem that I am not sure how to fix. I have copied all of my PTE shows from my desktop PC, which has Win7, to my laptop which has Win8.

I was looking at a particular show and I noticed that a font had changed when I view the show on my laptop (Win8). The font that I originally used on my desktop PC (Win7) was 'Blair'. When I looked in my laptop (Win8) for the font list in PTE's O&A for the Blair font, it is not there, and another font was substituted.

This is not a PTE created problem, I am pretty sure. But Win8 does not have the same fonts as Win7, apparently. I would hate to have to inspect each and every past show to insure all the fonts remained the same. I Googled around and found that I should look in the Windows/WinSxS folder for 'Blair.ttf' but there is no 'Blair' at all. I also searched on 'B?.ttf', too. Not there.

I also tried the following suggestion to 'Unhide fonts based on language settings'. But it did not work either. Is these a way to get back all the fonts I had in Win7 to be installed in Win8? This can cause a lot of havoc if the fonts can 'disappear' between Win7 and Win8. I did an Internet search for the 'Blair' font but the font I found was not the same font that I have in Win7.

Any advice????

Thanks...Gary

Hi Gary,

In the "executable" or "video" completed files, it doesn't matter whether or not your font resides on the computer because PTE has created a "vector" thus rendering the presence or absence of the font on the viewers computer inconsequential.

It's only on your system if you preview the PTE composition that it makes a difference. Before the file is either rendered as a video or made into executable format that it's essential to have the same font resident. Of course if you want to work further on a show and recompile, then it does matter. One of the ways to get around this is to convert the text to PNG then use the PTE Zip backup feature to save the project. This way it will never matter in the future whether or not the font is missing.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Yes, I understand what your are saying. But, I'd prefer to simply have all the fonts that are in Win7 to be in Win8. Is there a way to do this? I made a couple of tweeks in the show that is now on my laptop and the font has now changed. Real pain in the neck. This may be the only font problem, but who knows?

Gary

=================================

Hi Gary,

In the "executable" or "video" completed files, it doesn't matter whether or not your font resides on the computer because PTE has created a "vector" thus rendering the presence or absence of the font on the viewers computer inconsequential.

It's only on your system if you preview the PTE composition that it makes a difference. Before the file is either rendered as a video or made into executable format that it's essential to have the same font resident. Of course if you want to work further on a show and recompile, then it does matter. One of the ways to get around this is to convert the text to PNG then use the PTE Zip backup feature to save the project. This way it will never matter in the future whether or not the font is missing.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

As in any version of Windows, fonts can be added or deleted - you have only to have the fonts available somewhere to perform the process - see link below:

Installing or removing fonts

Best regards,

Lin

==============================

Lin,

I noodled it out. In the end, it was an easy process. Here is what I found, and hopefully it will be useful for anyone else who has this problem.

I used an EasySuite cable (best thing since sliced bread) to copy all of the fonts in my Win7's font folder (C:\Windows\Font) to a new folder on my Win8 laptop. Then, I highlighted all of the fonts in this folder and right-clicked the mouse to get a window that has the 'Install' selection. When it starts to do the install of the fonts, it might tell you that a particular font is already installed. I would not overwrite those. I'd just skipped those already installed so as to not cause any problems with them. In my Win8 laptop, I started out with 290 fonts. After this process, it now show 719 fonts. I noticed that some of the fonts that have numbers as names in Win7 show up with text names in Win8.

PS The EasySuite cable is a USB cable with the software built into it. Just plug one end to one PC and the other to the other PC and you can copy files from one to the other. Wonderful device. About $20, I think.

Gary