WnSoft Forums

Pinnacle Studio 9 for making DVDs?

maderemark

I'm looking to buy software to edit home video from VHS and digital 8 tapes and also to burn PTE shows to DVD. Anyone have any experience with Pinnacle Studio 9 for doing this?

I was considering Ulead Movie Factory but there seems to be some problems with version 3 and burning DVDs. Also, I emailed Ulead five weeks ago on with questions about Movie Factory 2 and got no response. If they won't even answer a pre-sale question, how bad are they at answering tech support questions to their users?

Again, anyone have any experience with Pinnacle Studio 9?

Regards,

Mark

I have no experience with Studio9, and very little with Studio8. RayPar and DanaB might both be using Studio8. I have not seen any reports here lately from either one - may mean they are busy being successful. Maybe one of them will report what they have found. I had initially had problems with Studio8 freezing up on me. I have not been back to troubleshoot the problem. (I've been puting all my trouble shooting into the Ulead Movie Factory. My only problems in Movie Factory have been with a few of my PTE shows. Ulead for direct recording from my miniDV vidcam has usually worked ok, and simply. I think there is a lot to learn yet by both the software makers and us as new DVD users. I had a call today from a user of Premier by Adobe. Even with that expensive program, the videographer couldn't get a configuration that would even capture from the vidcam.

Ulead are a compleate waste of space their Web site doesnt work, try putting a question in on the tech support) their email system is a compleate waste of time they just bounce back.

I get an erroe( Failed to convert video file error 80041C21)

I dont suppose I will ever get a reply.

• 3 weeks later...

I used Pinnacle version 8 for some time to prepare DVD's of my .exe files. I was very impressed (certainly has the edge over that Ulead rubbish). When version 9 came out a few weeks ago, I immediately upgraded. I haven't had much chance to get to grips with it yet but am sure that it will work perfectly. In PTE you will need to use the 'Pinnacle' option when making the avi file.

When you figure out how to capture old footage from your analogue camcorder, I would appreciate some advice on how you did it - 'cos I want to do the same rhing!

Ron West

I have been using Pinnacle Studio 8 for over a year and now Studio 9. I use Studio to manage my video productions and create the final MPG movies. From VHS and High 8, I use a Dazzle (USB 2.0) to capture the movies directly to Studio. From my GL2, it works seemlessly via direct firewire.

Studio (8 or 9) handles the incorporation of images relatively well. The one negative thing is that you cannot preset the image time, therefore all images import at the same time interval... not a problem for a few pictures, but it is for several hundred. Studio 8 works much better if you change the image size for TV use prior to using them... you don't need 6MP images in your movie.

I like the graphical interface of Studio.. simple enough, yet has power when you need it.

I teach video production classes and use Studio as the primary tool. I don't care for it's DVD production tool (in 8 or 9). It does not allow for the freedom of production that I want. I use Sonic DVDit for the final DVD menu interface and build of the DVD files. Then I use Nero to manage the DVD writing.

I have used PTE for many years. Unfortunately most customers want to see their pictures incorporated with Video on their DVD player. I don't get many requests for computer-based slide shows. Therefore, I use Nero Professional and turned my PC tower into a 4 DVD burner factory.

A couple words of advice...

* I run approx 1.2 Terabytes of storage. You will never be able to keep all the encoded video on a hard drive. I encode all video video Studio to MPEG files (not AVI) to conserve on storage space.

* Make sure you have at least a 4x DVD burner as it will save you a lot of time. They are only $92 (You can get a LiteOn drive via NewEgg).

* Copy all the original video and the Studio project files to one DVD, copy the final movies files to another DVD, then copy the DVD production files to a DVD. If you have to make more copies or edit the movie later, you will have stored all that you need. (note that you may be able to store all your files on one data DVD, but that is rare if you are producing videos with more than an hour of content).

I hope this helps...

RC