WnSoft Forums

'File List' - does not input ProjectFilePath folder

goddi

Greetings,

I posted a problem recently about the File List not showing the correct folder. Back then, it was more about copying all my shows from a desktop PC to a laptop. The only response was that the the new location could not know were the images were previously located. Ok. But let me restate the problem from a different angle.

Each time I load in a new beta, and then try to Open Recent Project, the File List just shows a folder from some previously opened show. Barry, I believe, commented that this was brought up before and maybe fell through the cracks.

But this has become a real frustration where I have to hunt for the associated folder of the images for the PTE show that I open. I have to hunt for the folder and re-save, so then it will open with the correct folder. My question is, can PTE be programed to read the 'ProjectFilePath' that is already in the .pte file and force the File List to show the folder that is in that Path? I think it is normal (at least for me) for the .pte file to be saved in the same folder where the images are placed. If not, perhaps make it a Preference setting?

And, if after saving the .pte with the correct File List folder, where is this information saved to?

Or am I doing something wrong and I am the only user having this problem????

For example: ProjectFilePath=E:\PTE-2011-ThiCam Trip\PTE-Phuket Night Market\Phuket Night Market.pte

Gary

Gary,

The reason why PTE isn't "remembering" your folder name when you move a folder is there in your post. The drive letter is included, in your case it is drive E. That has to be there to form a complete, valid, pathname. When a folder is moved to a different drive or different computer it will, in all probability, end up on a different drive letter. This is especially true of removeable media such as USB devices. No software can predict with 100% accuracy where the user has moved something to. It has to be told.

Also, ProjectFilePath is exactly that. It is the path to the Project File (the .pte file) and that is all that it is. Again, PTE cannot know that you have chosen to save your images in the same folder as your PTE file.

I list below some path names taken from my current project. As you can see the path is different for the project file, audio file and image file. Which one of these is PTE to remember and use? If your suggestion, that it use the project file path to locate the images, was adopted I would be a very angry user because it would never find any of my images or audio.

the projct file:

ProjectFilePath=J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Louis Hunton - MkII\LouisHunton 4v11.pte

an audio file:

FileName=J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Louis Hunton - MkII\Soundtrack\Mixes\ST-Seashore Ambience.wav

a slide:

Picture=J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Louis Hunton - MkII\Images\BlackSlide.jpg

an image object:

ImageName=J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Louis Hunton - MkII\Images\BlackSlide.jpg

I have just run some brief tests with both v7.0 and v7.5. On my system, if a folder has been relocated to a different path, neither of these versions repositions the File List display when you open that project. PTE V8 behaviour is no different.

regards,

Peter

P.S. The change in PTE behaviour that Barry remembers happening is the change which came in so that PTE did reposition the File List when, after working on project A you then saved that and opened project B. That change works fine provided that you have not moved the folder containing Project B.

Guest Yachtsman1

I read the previous thread on this subject but didn't comment as I didn't have the latest version of PTE. Now I'm downloading each Beta as it becomes available. Howver, as I wanted to retain the previous versions, I download into separate folders. When I want to launch the last work in progress show, I don't use a PTE icon, I go to my main desktop shortcut PTE folder, to the work in progress folder, to the current version folder, open that, open the "main" folder as PTE calls it, then double click the main PTE icon, not the icon produced when I saved the show. That then opens the show I'm working on at the point I left it. I know it's just another way of getting to where I wan't to be, don't know if it helps. BTW when down loading the beta's I untick the assotiotion boxes in the PTE download wizard as I have other WIP I don't want to disrupt. IMO finding the folder you want in the PTE file tree is putting the cart before the horse.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-25631400-1382250519_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-90635800-1382250529_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-00294700-1382250545_thumb.jp

Peter,

Thanks for your response but I don't think you see the problem as I see it. Let me explain more below, in bold, to some of your points.

Gary,

The reason why PTE isn't "remembering" your folder name when you move a folder is there in your post. The drive letter is included, in your case it is drive E. That has to be there to form a complete, valid, pathname. When a folder is moved to a different drive or different computer it will, in all probability, end up on a different drive letter. This is especially true of removeable media such as USB devices. No software can predict with 100% accuracy where the user has moved something to. It has to be told.

You are assuming I am 'moving a folder'. I am not. I am only installing a Beta and trying to open a recent project. When I open a recent project in a Beta, I am expecting that the File List would continue to display the correct images associated with the .pte. It does not. I have to go browsing to find the correct folder and do a save to get the Beta to keep that correct file list associated with that .pte. So, I have not moved anything. If the .pte that originally created the show in the previous version can display the correct file list, why can't the Beta that opens the same .pte bring in the correct file list?

Also, ProjectFilePath is exactly that. It is the path to the Project File (the .pte file) and that is all that it is. Again, PTE cannot know that you have chosen to save your images in the same folder as your PTE file.

I list below some path names taken from my current project. As you can see the path is different for the project file, audio file and image file. Which one of these is PTE to remember and use? If your suggestion, that it use the project file path to locate the images, was adopted I would be a very angry user because it would never find any of my images or audio.

I don't understand why you would be angry about this suggestion. However, it looks like you are 'violating' one of the 'rules' for creating a show. We are told, and I think it is best, that you put all of your images, videos and mp3s in the same folder. I am not saying you should. If your method works for you, great. But I don't see how having the .pte always display the folder that contains the images in the File List would prevent the .pte from finding your files that you have placed elsewhere. It would just show the files that are in the ProjectFilePath location and you can still browse to all your other locations where you have placed your files for the .pte show. There is no reason the show would not be able to find your files. All I am saying that the File List should show the same files each time you install a Beta or a new version of PTE. Having to reset the File List each time does not make sense since nothing has been moved. It's like each time you install a new Excel version or Word version, you have tell it how to find each and every file you ever created in the previous version of Excel or Word. Not the best example but it makes my point.

In a .pte, there is only one 'ProjectFilePath'. It appears that that is where the .pte is always saved. So if you put all of your files in that location, it seems that the File List can be made to show that location each time the .pte is opened, no matter which version of PTE is used. I don't think that would prevent you from using your method of saving your files in different locations. The .pte will still find them. I just want the File List to display the files that are set in the 'ProjectFilePath' location.

So tell me, when you open a .pte in a Beta, do you have to browse around to locate your images and your videos and your mp3s each time for any of your previously created shows?

Thanks...

Gary

the projct file:

ProjectFilePath=J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Louis Hunton - MkII\LouisHunton 4v11.pte

an audio file:

FileName=J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Louis Hunton - MkII\Soundtrack\Mixes\ST-Seashore Ambience.wav

a slide:

Picture=J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Louis Hunton - MkII\Images\BlackSlide.jpg

an image object:

ImageName=J:\My Data\My Digital Studio\AV Sequences\Louis Hunton - MkII\Images\BlackSlide.jpg

I have just run some brief tests with both v7.0 and v7.5. On my system, if a folder has been relocated to a different path, neither of these versions repositions the File List display when you open that project. PTE V8 behaviour is no different.

regards,

Peter

P.S. The change in PTE behaviour that Barry remembers happening is the change which came in so that PTE did reposition the File List when, after working on project A you then saved that and opened project B. That change works fine provided that you have not moved the folder containing Project B.

I read the previous thread on this subject but didn't comment as I didn't have the latest version of PTE. Now I'm downloading each Beta as it becomes available. Howver, as I wanted to retain the previous versions, I download into separate folders. When I want to launch the last work in progress show, I don't use a PTE icon, I go to my main desktop shortcut PTE folder, to the work in progress folder, to the current version folder, open that, open the "main" folder as PTE calls it, then double click the main PTE icon, not the icon produced when I saved the show. That then opens the show I'm working on at the point I left it. I know it's just another way of getting to where I wan't to be, don't know if it helps. BTW when down loading the beta's I untick the assotiotion boxes in the PTE download wizard as I have other WIP I don't want to disrupt. IMO finding the folder you want in the PTE file tree is putting the cart before the horse.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

=========================

Eric,

I don't think your response has anything to do with my question. I understand the different ways that we can open a slide show. When you say, 'finding the folder you want in the PTE file tree is putting the cart before the horse', does not explain anything. I don't understand what you are trying to say. My point is finding the associated images for your show in the File Tree should not have to be a process you have to go through (having to browse the computer to reset the associated files in the File Tree for shows that have already been created) each time you install a new Beta or a new version. The ProjectFilePath has this information and it seems that this path should be used to automatiacally set the information in the File List automatically when you open the .pte file.

Gary

Gary,

I have just launched PTE V8 beta 5, used File > Open Recent Project to select a recent project (ProjA) and have it opened. PTE positioned the File List to the correct subfolder (.../ProjA/Images). I have then closed down PTE. When I launch PTE V8b5 a second time, the expected project (ProjA) opens with the File List set to the expected Images subfolder (.../ProjA/Images). No surprises so far.

I have then downloaded and installed v8 beta 6. I took all the defaults during the install process: including create a desktop icon, do the file associations and import settings from beta 5.

PTE V8 beta 6 launched and opened the correct project (ProjA - the one last opened as mentioned above) and the File List was correctly set to the proper Images subfolder (.../ProjA/Images). I then used the upper toolbar icon for Open an existing project and selected the item fourth in the drop down (ProjB). PTE v8 beta 6 then opened that project and correctly positioned the File List to .../ProjB/Images. If I then use Open an existing project to open the third item in the dropdown list, PTE correctly opens that project (ProjC) and positions the File List to .../ProjC/Images/.

I do not see any problem. PTE appears to being working exactly as it should.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

I have just launched PTE V8 beta 5, used File > Open Recent Project to select a recent project (ProjA) and have it opened. PTE positioned the File List to the correct subfolder (.../ProjA/Images). I have then closed down PTE. When I launch PTE V8b5 a second time, the expected project (ProjA) opens with the File List set to the expected Images subfolder (.../ProjA/Images). No surprises so far.

I have then downloaded and installed v8 beta 6. I took all the defaults during the install process: including create a desktop icon, do the file associations and import settings from beta 5.

PTE V8 beta 6 launched and opened the correct project (ProjA - the one last opened as mentioned above) and the File List was correctly set to the proper Images subfolder (.../ProjA/Images). I then used the upper toolbar icon for Open an existing project and selected the item fourth in the drop down (ProjB). PTE v8 beta 6 then opened that project and correctly positioned the File List to .../ProjB/Images. If I then use Open an existing project to open the third item in the dropdown list, PTE correctly opens that project (ProjC) and positions the File List to .../ProjC/Images/.

I do not see any problem. PTE appears to being working exactly as it should.

regards,

Peter

==========================

Peter,

Hmmmm... This is getting interesting. When I installed Beta6, I did not accept the 'file association ' because I don't want all of my previously made shows to be automatically opened in the new Beta. I want to try out the Beta but not save any exiting projects with the Beta. But I don't think this would have the effect of not having the File List position the correct subfolder when I open a show in a Beta. Maybe I am wrong. I will try to delete my Beta6 and reinstall it accepting the 'file association' to check this out. But then I have the problem of everything opening in Beta6 if I open a .pte while in MyComputer. Every .pte is associated with the Beta. Let me play around a bit as see what happens. Perhaps, if I accept the 'file association' with the installation of the Beta, the File List will position the correct subfolder; and if I want to open a show in the previous version (7.05), I will have to open it within the 7.05 version itself (and not with the .pte file in MyComputer). Let me experiment.

Thanks... Gary

ADDED LATER: Ok...I uninstalled my Beta6 and reinstalled it accepting all the 'file association', etc. When I open the Beta6 and Open a Recent Project, the File List does NOT change to what it should be. No matter what recent project I select, the File List does NOT change. I keep the file location of some previously opened show. So there must be something different is what is happening with you and what is happening on my PC.

And I notice that if I open a .pte via MyComputer, the File List does NOT display the correct folder. The .pte was created in an earlier version. So it seems to get the File List to display the correct associated files in the File List in a new version of PTE, you must re-save it in that new version. This is really makes no sense. If the .pte file contains the information for where the .pte is located, that should be the folder that automatically appears in the File List when it is opened. My thoughts.

Gary

Gary,

I've just run a different test using PTE V8 Beta 6 and PTE v7.0.7.

I powered up my "Archive" drive and located an old sequence folder. I opened this .pte file (ProjX) into Notepad and saw that the version used to create this sequence was v4.47 (They don't come any older than that, as that is the very first version of PTE that I ever installed). I then launched this .pte file (ProjX) into V8 by double-clicking the file in a Windows Explorer display. The project file opened OK, the slides in the Slide List were the correct ones but the file tree was set to the folder associated with ProjA from my previous post. I then launched PTE v7.0.7 and did File > Open and then navigated to ProjX.pte on the Archive drive. The same project file opened into v7.0.7 and the file tree display was pointing to .../ProjX folder (i.e. what you want it to point to).

There is, indeed, a difference in behaviour between V8 beta and V7.0.7. I now need to go and check what v7.5.8 does. The plot thickens! V7.5.8 also fails to set the file tree to the .../ProjX folder. What ever this change of behaviour is it came in somewhere after v7.0.7 and before v7.5.8. I think we can classify it as a bug.

OK. I have just rerun these tests and get the same results. The behaviour of each version of PTE is consistent from run to run. There was a behaviour change between v7.0.7 and 7.5.8.

I'll alert Igor to our discussions here.

Oh, by the way, it isn't the File List panel that's wrong. It is the File Tree panel. The File List simply shows the contents of the folder being pointed to by the File Tree.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

" What ever this change of behaviour is it came in somewhere after v7.0.7 and before v7.5.8. I think we can classify it as a bug." ;)

Now you know why I stuck to it for so long!!!

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Gary,

...There is, indeed, a difference in behaviour between V8 beta and V7.0.7. I now need to go and check what v7.5.8 does. The plot thickens! V7.5.8 also fails to set the file tree to the .../ProjX folder. What ever this change of behaviour is it came in somewhere after v7.0.7 and before v7.5.8. I think we can classify it as a bug.

OK. I have just rerun these tests and get the same results. The behaviour of each version of PTE is consistent from run to run. There was a behaviour change between v7.0.7 and 7.5.8.

I'll alert Igor to our discussions here.

Oh, by the way, it isn't the File List panel that's wrong. It is the File Tree panel. The File List simply shows the contents of the folder being pointed to by the File Tree.

regards,

Peter

=========================

Peter,

Thanks much for going through the work you did. I'd appreciate it if you can get it to Igor's ear.

Since I normally have the 'Settings\Show File Tree' unchecked, I only see the File List. Either way, the ultimate result is the File List is not showing what you want because the File Tree is not correct. :)/>

Thanks... Gary

" What ever this change of behaviour is it came in somewhere after v7.0.7 and before v7.5.8. I think we can classify it as a bug." ;)/>

Now you know why I stuck to it for so long!!!

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

If your concern is to avoid all bugs I suggest you ditch all your computers and turn them into something more useful (desktops into doorstops, perhaps) :)

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

If your concern is to avoid all bugs I suggest you ditch all your computers and turn them into something more useful (desktops into doorstops, perhaps) :)/>/>

regards,

Peter

IMO they wouldn't sell, storage would also be a problem. :lol:/> :lol:/> :lol:/>

Eric

Yachtsman1.