WnSoft Forums

Audio Volume Control at Track level

PGA

The enhanced handling of audio files in v8 is fantastic but it still has some shortcomings. One feature that I feel would be of great potential benefit is the ability to change the volume of all clips on a track by the same amount. The screen grab below is from my current project. Track1 carries a continuous mix of location ambience sound. Track2 carries the narrator's voice and Track3 carries the main character's voice. Let's assume that I now decide that the balance between Track2 and Track3 is not quite right. If all the clips on Track2 are already at the same level (which they are) and all the clips on Track3 are at the same level, but a level different from those on Track2 (which they are), I have no alternative but to change the volume of each individual clip on one track or the other. That is time consuming.

If, in Project Options > Audio it was possible to select the Track item (which it is) and have there a volume control that applied uniformly across the entire track, it would make this action so much quicker. From a user interface point of view I would rather see the volume slider in a "Track header" panel at the left hand edge of each track in the Timeline. This header panel would remain visible even if the user scrolled a long way across to the right.

regards,

Peter

post-7090-0-47505800-1382455640_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

I think what Peter is referring to is ambient rather than ambience. Ambience is better defined as mood, ambient = Matching Ambient Sound

Matching ambient sound means recording sound separately from any video, but in such a way that it can be matched with the video shots if required. This is useful for patching up mistakes, creating a consistent background noise, and adding new audio.

Matching ambient sound is a fairly general term which can include wild sound, buzz tracks and room tone.

Note that the sound does not necessarily have to be synchronised with the pictures, just matched. This means it does not need to include specific sounds on cue (e.g. a hammer striking a nail), it is only required to match the general expectations of the scene (e.g. background construction noise).

In my opinion :ph34r:/>/> :ph34r:/>/> :ph34r:/>/>

Yachtsman1

I think what Peter is referring to is ambient rather than ambience.

Whilst I can accept that it is sometimes necessary to explain the meaning of the English produced, with the aid of translation tools, by non-English speakers, that is not so in my case. My command of the English language is excellent.

When I said ambience, I meant ambience.

Track1 carries a series of mixes of location recordings. Its purpose is to help establish the context and the mood of the images. Also, any references to video in the preceding posts are irrelevant as the example sequence does not have any video input.

Peter