WnSoft Forums

Wrong slide duration with unprivileged user

gaaned92

I made under WXP sp3 this test with PTE 8.0.1

1-Under admin account

a- create a very simple project with for instance 3 images (no styles)

b- modify default slide duration of project and apply to all slides

c- hopefully all slides show in the timeline the correct duration

2 -Same steps under normal unprivileged account

In this case the last slide shows the correct duration in the timeline, the preceding slides are 2 seconds too short.

The "slide options/main" window show nevertheless the correct duration.

Thank you to help me if I made a mistake or to confirm an issue.

André

Check that you have the Settings / Preferences / Project setting for "Keep Full Slide Duration" the same in both versions.

Also the setting for "Show Full Slide Duration" should be the same.

DG

Thank you for the quick answer. Effectively the setting was different. KFSD was set in both projects.

The difference of behaviour is due to "show Full Slide Duration" :

If unchecked , default slide duration, effective slide duration in timeline and slide duration in slide options are the same. That seems ok to me.

If checked , effective slide duration in timeline is 2 seconds shorter than default duration for all slides except the last. But slide duration in slide option is equal to default duration.

I am puzzled and I go back to documentation.

André

I don't know how to edit the title of the post.

Hi André

Use the "Full Editor" feature to modify title of post... Lin

André's post caused me to do a little test and I think he may have found a minor bug. My Project Options are set to Slide Duration = 6 secs, Transition Duration = 3 secs. With Keep Full Slide Duration turned OFF, I created a two slide project. The Slide List correctly showed both slides as having a Transition Duration of 3.0 and a Slide Duration of 6.0. I changed the Settings > Preferences to Keep Full Slide Duration = ON and closed PTE. I then launched PTE and created another two-slide sequence. The Slide List now showed Slide 1 at 3.0/6.0 but Slide 2 was shown at 3.0/9.0. The last slide's duration was including the transition time of a slide that didn't exist!

The definition, let's say for slide X, of "Full Slide Duration" is that it combines the Slide Duration of slide X (which includes the Transition Time for slide X) plus the Transition Duration of slide X+1 (because slide X is partialy visible during this transition). Based on my simple test, PTE has a bug when it comes to calculating the slide duration of the last slide in the sequence.

Also, with Keep Full Slide Duration = ON, I started another new project and dragged three images into the Slide List in Slides View. They showed as 3.0/6.0, 3.0/6.0 and 3.0/9.0 and the mini-player showed a total sequence duration of 21 secs. Based on my earlier tests, this was what I was expecting. I used Undo to remove them, switched to the Timeline View and dragged the same three images (which were still selected) into the Timeline View. They showed as having 9.0 seconds duration each and the mini-player now showed a total sequence duration of 27 secs. I find this highly confusing! Why is the sequence duration different? If I have correctly defined "Full Slide Duration" above, each of these slides should have a full duration of 9.0 seconds, assuming that there is a following slide. But slides 1 and 2 in my project now have a full duration of 12 seconds.

If I have my Project Options set at Slide Duration 6.0 secs then, whether Keep Full Slide Duration is ON or OFF, when I create a new project by dragging three images into the Slide List or into the Timeline, the sequence duration should always be 18 seconds. It isn't! There has to be a bug in here somewhere!

regards,

Dave,

The setting of Show Full Slide Duration is irrelevant to the point I was making. I accept that, by setting Show Full Slide Duration = ON, I then see the same durations in both Timeline View and in Slides View - but they are not the correct durations!

My Project Options were set to a Slide Duration of 6.0 seconds. I created a new project with three slides. I get a sequence duration of either 27 seconds or 21 seconds, depending upon whether Keep Full Slide Duration is active or not. Both are wrong! The sequence duration should be 3 x 6 = 18 seconds. This has to be a bug!

regards,

Sorry for the delay - Christmas Shopping!!

Here's what I get with KFSD OFF and Show FSD OFF:

post-2488-0-65553500-1386954094_thumb.jp

Here's what I get with KFSD ON and Show FSD ON:

post-2488-0-29336100-1386952853_thumb.jp

Explanation:

post-2488-0-67296600-1386954156_thumb.jp

If there is a BUG or a PROBLEM in there it is being caused by Switching back and forth between KFSD and Non-KFSD during a project. I have said all along - if you start off in either mode - leave it there - switching back and forth is not advised!!

P.S.

I make no excuses to anyone for the abbreviations - anyone wanting an explanation can ask or search for KFSD.

DG

HI Dave,

Just answering the question of how to modify the title - I suppose it all depends on the reason one wants to modify the title...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Modifying a post in that way does not "flag up" that a reply has been posted?

Would it not be better to reply in a new post?

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

I don't know if this belongs in this thread, maybe someone will move it to another thread name Slide Styles. My problem, when I apply cover screen to a slide that has black sides, the slide time changes from what is set to a 5 second default, which doesn't seem correct, surely the time should be as the original slide setting? Again the KFSD box is un-ticked.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-23209300-1386955941_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-13963400-1386955952_thumb.jp

HI Dave,

Just answering the question of how to modify the title - I suppose it all depends on the reason one wants to modify the title...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Just pointing out that had it been me I would have known if you had replied to me in a new post (by e-mail) but I would not have been informed that you put that note there.smile.gif/>

DG

If there is a BUG or a PROBLEM in there it is being caused by Switching back and forth between KFSD and Non-KFSD during a project.

I was not switching during a project!!!. Each time I changed the settings I closed down PTE, relaunched the program. With Slide Duration defined as 6.0 seconds I created a new project. What should a project of 3 x 6 seconds end up as? When I went to school, and on every calculator that I possess, the answer comes out at 18 seconds. Why then, does PTE give me either 21 seconds or 27 seconds? If that is not a BUG, I'd like to know why it isn't a bug.

This not about any prejudice for/against KFSD on my part. Nor is it about a lack of understanding of KFSD on my part. It is a straightforward error in the mathematical calculations performed by PTE.

6 x 3 = 18 .....FACT!!!!!!!

regards,

Peter Appleton B.Sc(Maths)

Re my posts #5, #7 and #12. This is damned frustrating! Yesterday I could replicate the problem whenever I wanted to with KFSD=OFF. Today I cannot replicate the problem at all with KFSD=OFF.

My apologies to one and all for opening up a can of worms that has now vanished as quickly as it came. However, I do think there are still some errors with KFSD=ON. I will open a new topic to document them with a full, step-by-step script and some screengrabs.

regards,

Peter

@davegee

Thank you for your patient explanations. As it is now in version 8 , slide duration feature is certainly tricky for a beginner.

KFSD is not concerned as it is always ON in all the PTE8 trials I made.

What disconcerted me is that the computed durations are different wether you drag images in timeline or slide list.

The right way seems to drag the photos in slide list to obtain the same durations as those in your above post.

If you drag slides in the timeline, durations become borked (or perhaps there is a use I don't yet know).

For experts who played with all beta and RC versions it is surely self-evident, but some clever explanation in the documentaion will be necessary to avoid beginners to stumble upon those difficulties.

@Lin

I wanted to change the title as obviously the issue is not related to user privilege. Thank you

Regards

André