WnSoft Forums

Embedding a PTE slide show from YouTube into a Web Site

Ronniebootwest

I often upload my PTE slide shows to YouTube and now I want to use the 'embed' code from those Youtube shows to place the slide shows on my my own web site. I know how to do this but, I am finding that when a person visits my site and plays the embedded slide show, they take a long time to upload and play because of the size of the various files.

My question is this, what are the best settings to use when making the original PTE show, e.g. image size, resolution, should I use 'Save for web' and select the lowest (best qualty)jpeg or png24.

The final viewing experience from my web site should be as good as possible without the viewer experiencing upload/download problems that render the slide show unwatchable.

Any suggestions?

Ronnie West.

Guest Yachtsman1

I often upload my PTE slide shows to YouTube and now I want to use the 'embed' code from those Youtube shows to place the slide shows on my my own web site. I know how to do this but, I am finding that when a person visits my site and plays the embedded slide show, they take a long time to upload and play because of the size of the various files.

My question is this, what are the best settings to use when making the original PTE show, e.g. image size, resolution, should I use 'Save for web' and select the lowest (best qualty)jpeg or png24.

The final viewing experience from my web site should be as good as possible without the viewer experiencing upload/download problems that render the slide show unwatchable.

Any suggestions?

Ronnie West.

Hi Ronny

I have around 30 shows on Youtube, but my recent ones have been of disappointing quality. Also you have to take into account copyright music, their copyright ferreter is most aggressive, with dire warnings of retrebution. However, if all that doesn't deter you, you need to publish your show in PTE using either the publish on Youtube button, or what I do is publish as an AVI video file. You chose which quality you want, if you already have a Youtube account & know the exact log in details, just upload the AVI file, when complete, copy the URL & paste it into your web page as a URL. I haven't used the PTE route as I lost the log in detail, so I have just been using my own route. The URL route allows live streaming, so as soon as someone clicks the URL, it starts to play on Youtube. If they want a full screen live stream, they have to click the Youtube logo then expand it when Youtube starts.

I think that's about it.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Start by correctly identifying where the bottleneck is.

When you view those Youtube videos, do you experience long upload times? Youtube will have installed massively powerful servers, backed by superbly fast storage devices and be driving out through a super-fast, super-wide network connection. I doubt the bottleneck is anywhere in the technology being used by Youtube. Identifying the true source of a performance problem on a public network is still one of the major challenges in IT support. Because there are so many different players and so many different pieces of hardware and software involved, it is all too easy for one party to claim the problem lies with another.

regards,

Peter

I am pretty certain that the problem is one that I myself am causing but my experimenting has not yet identified where I am going wrong.

I have already made the point that I am using the the PTE option to create the mp4 file and then I use the 'Publish to YouTube' option. The embed code is then inserted into my web site (Adobe Muse - not my existing site) and everything works perfectly at this stage but, when I do a test run of my new site in my browser (Firefox), everything slowws down and I get the dreaded 'Waiting' message and have to wait up to 2 minutes for the next slide show to begin.

I have convinced myself that the original slide show was made with images (1920x1080) that were to large and music that had to high a bit rate (320 mp3).

I am going to redo the slide show with smaller images and reduce the mp3 to a bitrate of 128 and see what happens. I had hoped that another forum member had aready encountered this problem and wouls be able to assist.

Ron West

Ron, I'll offer a couple of observations and experiences, plus ideas that might quickly be corrected by others.

I frequently use PTE as my conduit for uploads to my Youtube channel. Almost all of those videos have also been created first as .exe in PTE. In many cases, even with a pure video from a pocket camera, I will first put it in PTE and "Convert" it using PTE.

I usually Publish to Youtube through PTE with settings to 1080 or 720. I find sometimes that 1080 slows down the streaming from Youtube, and offers no visible difference from 720.

Years ago I preferred Vimeo quality over Youtube quality. Then I felt Youtube quality became as good, and offered better access to more of my likely viewers. Lately, I too, have questioned the visual quality of some of my Youtube-processed videos. Of course, Youtube does warn that a HD video may be viewed at a lower quality until they have had time to fully process to HD standard.

Now your specific question as to best PTE settings for Youtube success and quick streaming/downloading. I "think" that once your PTE creation is converted in PTE via "Publish to Youtube", your original settings and images sizes in PTE seem to matter very little.

I do "publish" at 720 or 1080, And I like to DISable "panning" for the uploaded video.

I find that viewing on Youtube, my own videos or the professional best videos on Youtube, - both can slow down terribly in certain peak or overload times. Even Youtube's infrastructure seems unable to always provide a consistent viewing experience.

On to the embedding aspect:

I frequently will embed my Youtube channel videos in one of my own websites.

When viewing such videos on my website, I detect no difference in download/streaming speed. If the video is instantaneous on Youtube, it is instantaneous on my own website.

The one feature that is often quite important to me, has to do with avoiding the "suggested videos" that Youtube offers after a typical viewing of any video. When I embed from Youtube it is very easy to disable that "offering" to someone who views my video on my site.

Another convenience I appreciate - If I upload a large file to Youtube, their embed code allows me to very easily resize to whatever space I want on my webpage screen.

I'll post here, both my Youtube Channel and my personal view site here. You are welcome to experiment and compare to your ongoing investigation. I'll also be interested in your further findings.

Also, the embedded videos on my site are some of my own, and some others from Youtube that I have chosen to embed. You may keep that in mind as to which you are viewing if you are trying to isolate factors that are within PTE.

U-screen.blogspot.com (my "personal" website)

My Youtube Channel

Ron,

If your new site is already publicly accessible, send me a link and I'll check out what I see using Firefox.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks foryour offer of assistance, my new site is still under construction with a trial version of Adobe Muse.

I am able to view the site from within Muse (using Firefox) Sorry that I cannot give public access as yet because your observations would have been very helpful.

Ron.

Hi Lumenlux,

Wow! thank you for taking the time to offer your comprehensive observations, I will be checking through them all as soon as possible. It does seem, from what you say, that there is little difference in the viewing experience of the embedded PTE slide show no matter what size and resolution that the original PTE exe file was made at. I am experimenting at the moment by making a new slide show using smaller images that were saved using the 'Save for Web' option in photoshop. My thinking here, is that smaller sizes will stream quicker.

Later today, I am going to take a look through your web site stuff to see if that will help me with my own problems.

Watch this space!

Ron West