WnSoft Forums

Copy object from 'non-child' to 'child'

goddi

Greetings,

I am creating a new project. It is just a single video that I digitized from an old VHS tape. This is an important fact since it is not HD and I have to reduce the size of the video in the O&A screen to reduce pixelization.

Ok... So, I added the video. Since this is a VHS tape that I digitized, the edges of the video tend to be a bit wavy. I want to cover these edges with a black rectangle on each of the edges that show waviness. I first created the rectangles as independent objects...not as a child. It worked just fine. But then I wanted to change the size of the video by resizing it with the handles of the video in O&A. But since the rectangles were not a 'child' of the video object, they did not move with the changing of the size of the video.

Then, I figured that I could copy each of the already created black rectangles to be 'child' of the video. However, when I did this, the size of each black rectangle did not retain their exact size or location and I had to reposition and resize each rectangle.

So, my question is, is there a way to copy a 'non-child' object as a 'child' of an object and have it retain its exact position and size when it becomes the 'child'? The Animation figures were the same but the results of the copy are not the same size or position. It is as if was copied relative to some other object. Is there a way to keep the copied object the same size and position when going from a non-child object to a child object?

Gary

Gary,

I think when you copy an object and add it as a child of another oject, it takes the parameters of the parent and resizes it in proportion as you have found. i don't think there is any way around this. It is just the logical way you would expect it to happen. However Lin Evans may have another answer.

... use your photo editor to cut out the middle from a black rectangle, save that as a PNG file and then make the video a child of this "windowed mount ...

As a child, the video will be on top of the frame. IMO the relationship should be the other way round.

Regards,

jt

... is there a way to copy a 'non-child' object as a 'child' of an object and have it retain its exact position and size when it becomes the 'child' ...

A child's coordinates and size refer to the center and the size of its parent. These coordinates are relative now, and they do not any longer refer to the coordinate system of the screen. You are asking for a rather complicated and very special function. What about placing all your objects as common children of a transparent frame. Later on you can move and resize your arrangement just by manipulating the frame.

Regards,

jt

Gary,

Perhaps a better solution for you would be to use your photo editor to cut out the middle from a black rectangle, save that as a PNG file and then make the video a child of this "windowed mount"?

regards,

Peter

===========================

Peter,

I think I will stick with my method. I just have to remember to create the rectangles as a 'child'. It just makes it easier to adjust, if needed. But it would be nice to be able to copy/paste a 'non-child' object to be a 'child' and keep its original proportions.

Thanks...

Gary

JT... Thanks for the explanation. I kinda see what's going on now....Gary

Hi Gary,

There is a simpler way to do what you want: Canvas Size. Select your video in O&A editor, click 'Adjust Video and Border' button, and open 'Canvas Size' tab. Here you can cut edges of video without any additional child objects.

=========================

Greetings Artem,

I gave it a try. Yes, thanks. What a better solution!!!

But...I notice that the 'Top' and 'Bottom' settings seem to react differently from the 'Left' and 'Right' settings. The 'Top' and 'Bottom' settings actually bring in the left and right edges to cover the wavy edges of the video, as expected. However, when I use the 'Top' and 'Bottom' setting, the results seem to 'zoom in' or enlarge the vidieo's size. It does not move in from the bottom or the top to reduce the viewing area as does the 'Left' and 'Right' settings.

Can you take a look at this and let me know if this is correct in the way it is working?

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

Canvas Size determines which part of original video file is displayed. It doesn't control at which size it is displayed, i.e. canvas size is not the zoom. If your video had 100% zoom before you reduce canvas size, it will remain at 100%.

The result might appear as 'zoom in' since fewer pixels are fit in the same size. To avoid that effect, you have to reduce zoom accordingly.

You can ask Dave (davegee) for additional information. He knows a lot about this feature, and might give you some practical advice.

Gary,

Canvas Size determines which part of original video file is displayed. It doesn't control at which size it is displayed, i.e. canvas size is not the zoom. If your video had 100% zoom before you reduce canvas size, it will remain at 100%.

The result might appear as 'zoom in' since fewer pixels are fit in the same size. To avoid that effect, you have to reduce zoom accordingly.

You can ask Dave (davegee) for additional information. He knows a lot about this feature, and might give you some practical advice.

========================

Greetings Artem,

I am not sure I understand your explanation for what I see is an inconsistent result with the Top/Bottom Sides compared with the results with the Left/Right Sides. So I created a new post ("Canvas Size not working as expected") with my question and several screen shots to explain in more detail my question. I'd appreciate if you could view that posting to see if you see what I am trying to explain.

Thanks... Gary