WnSoft Forums

Adding images

pati

Hi there. I am now trying to create a slideshow from a wedding I just photographed. I have about 300 images. Is there a limit to how many photographs you can add to the slideshow? I was trying to watch a preview of the show and it is getting locked up, showing the same image over and over again.

Is it because I have too many images?

Also I know that my CD only holds 700 MB- so I need to probably make the images smaller than 8x10, 300ppi. Does anyone have any recommendations on file size? I don't have a DVD burner, so my options are few. Thanks

Hello,

Well you can add 32,000 Pictures and the file can be 2100 MB.

These are the answers in the FAQ anyway. I have not made a show that big yet. :D

To answer your other questions.

The Image Flickering might be your image size. Your images do not need to be the quality you use for

printing. I make a second copy of my pictures in a different DIR just for my slideshow.

As for what size that will add depends on your computer settings you will be viewing it on. If the screen

size is 1024x768. This would be the size I would make your pictures. Any larger and then the program

has to resize it to show it on the screen anyway.

If you are cropping your pictures 8x10 at 300 DPI your pictures are 2400x3000. And if you are saving

them at the Best quality in Photoshop you are looking at 3.5 MB file. If you resize your image to your

screen size and save the picture at a lower quality for your slideshow. I am sure you will be able to lower

the file size. and make it easier for PTE to open the picture.

Another thing that will cause the Flickering....

Is not leaving enough time between your images for your Effects to happen. (Fade)

This will happen if you are trying to sync your pictures to the song.

I am sure you will get some better answer too. But this is somewhere to start.

cc

PATI

consenus of the forum re pict size +- 150 kb jpg

describe your operating system

how much ram

what size processor

how big is the pte exe

what music are you using

mp3

wav

wma

how many tunes

are you synchronizing

did you try running the show unsynced

did you try with no music

did you add 50 picts, then 50 more to see if show runs -- keep adding picts till probs start

what programs are running the background

shut off virus scanner

all these questions are going to be asked to help get your show to work

ken

Guest Techman1

Pati,

As already suggested, I would try resizing my images down to a much lower resolution than the 8x10 x 300 dpi. This really makes PTE (and really any program) slow way down. This could be the cause of the problem.

I always create a PTE Image directory and down sample my images to 800x600 by 72 dpi. I do this for compatibility reasons on many different PC's. This helps with the transitions and when the music is being played everything runs extremely smooth. This is very important when you are doing a wedding slideshow for so many images.

Also on weddings, I typically create a main menu of the couple and then have four or five slideshows that they can click on to view their special day. These are typically, Formals, the Ceremony, Reception and Getting Ready. Sometimes I break out the Reception into a Receiving Line also if they have a lot of guests.

Good luck and please let us know if you get it working properly.

Fred

:D Thank you so much for your reply! I think those are the answers I was looking for. All of my images are indeed 8x10, 300ppi and I was trying to get the images to sync with the music.

Thank you and now I must get to work on resizing the images for the show!

Techman

What do you mean by creating a Main Menu?

So you don't just have one slideshow with many different songs?

Thanks again everyone. I really think when I resize the images it will work just fine because it was working until I started adding 50+ images at 8x10 300ppi

Guest Techman1

Pati,

Hello again. I create a main menu slideshow that only has one slide along with multiple button selections that the couple can click on. Then when they click on one of the buttons another slideshow runs that only shows that portion of their wedding day. Each of these sub-slideshows all have music playing and are created seperately. This allows anyone to only watch the portion of the wedding they are interested in without having to go through the whole wedding day. Once they exit this sub-slideshow the menu is still there for their next selection or they can exit it also.

I hope this helps explain it. Let me know if I can answer anything further.

Good luck and let us know if this solves your problems.

Fred

If you are going to convert all the Pictures.

and you are going to move them to another DIR

you can do this with a Batch process.

If you are using PhotoShop Elements 2.0

under File you have Batch processing........

This will convert everything in the DIR for you

in very little time. Or if you Don't have Photoshop

the program you are using may have batch processing.

Here are two Free programs that will do this too.

Xnview

or

Irfanview

This will save you a lot of time if you are

converting them all manually.

cc

Thank you ccmanz for the tip on Batch Processing. I was planning on doing the action one by one, and never thought to do the Batch. THANK YOU!! :D

Techman, How do you create the Main Menu with the Submenu's? I have been studying the program and can't seem to find those options. It sounds like a great idea

Patty

In Photoshop go to Image-Image Size and set the resolution to 72 Pixels/inch (yes I know Resolution does not matter) set the size to 700 Pixels if it is in landscape mode. Make sure Cocstrain Proportions is selected.

After this go to File-Save For Web and in Image Ready select Jpg and type for quality 60.

Look at the bottom and read the file size. these should be under 200. You can get a comptomise worked out between quality and file size all in real time.

You can do all this in Batch using an action. Make sure all pictures are in landscape mode. You can rotae them later.

Make sure all pictures are in landscape mode. You can rotae them later.

Norbert, can you elaborate on the above?

I have often mused that some of my vertical format photos seem more dramatic while on their side, but I have usually rotated first before doing any editing. Granted, I do not know much about PhotoShop and usually resort to PS Elements 2.

can you elaborate on the above?

Sure.

The quality does not change if you rotate in PS.

I did not know how many picture Patty had in Landscape and or Portrait mode, so I sayd (all in Landscape)

because I gave dimensions to be set in Width the hight being constrained to the proportion.

Example 700 Pixels for width would give for her 10x8 picture 560 Pixels for the height.

If she had that same picture in Portrait mode this width would be now 8 inches and the hight 10 inches,

when typing 700 for width she would in effect make the picture larger because the 560 pixels from the former height will now be in width and typing 700 will enlarge it to 700 x 875.

Using batch it would make some pictures larger.

Having them all in one mode gives same sizes. It does not matter in which mode they are. If I had given the data for Portrait mode I would have sayd type: 560 for width.

Hope my description makes sense.

Norbert,

I believe that in Irfanview when resizing you can specify a maximum size for both the vertical and horizontal dimensions, so that if your photos are all proportional, they can be resized without rotating.

Photoshop, at least Photoshop 7 and CS, has a feature under File>Automate called Fit Image. I don't recall if Photoshop 6 or 5.5 had this. In Fit Image, you can constrain both width and height to say 768 pixels (for a 1024x768 screen). If you write an Action to do this and run the action as a batch on a folder containing your images (and save the images on themselves or to a different folder), Photoshop will automatically resize all your images, whether portrait or landscape, to the same maximum dimension of 768 pixels (or whatever you set in the dialogue box while creating the Action).

Fit Image does not detect the position on the screen.

Here is what is does.

Fit Image fits the current image to the width and height you specify, without changing its aspect ratio.

It is the same as I mentioned before. I work in PS6

CS makes it a one click. That's all.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might be wrong but don't think so.

This is a feature often requested from Adobe but not yet implemented to my knowledge.