WnSoft Forums

Animated GIF as constant dim overlay during show

newsposter

Is there a how-to or a demo .pte that demonstrates how to use an animated GIF as a constant low-opacity overlay for all slides in a show?

Think of something like an animated GIF of Jeppsen air charts 'flowing' behind a slideshow of aircraft and airports. Or (the ever-hated) flames behind sports-related images.

I'm probably messed up in my terminology here (overlay vs background)......

Thanks

Is there a how-to or a demo .pte that demonstrates how to use an animated GIF as a constant low-opacity overlay for all slides in a show?

Until today we have only for videos the feature to be loaded once and to run across more than one slide (plus the transition time to the next one). There has been a suggestion in this direction, see here, not yet a successful one.

Regards,

jt

It is possible to use the animation tab in the "Adjust Image and Border" to do what you want with an animated gif which would repeat during a slide's duration.

Take a look at this feature. There is no demo or "how to".

Add your gif at the desired opacity and then adjust its speed in the animation tab of "Adjust Image and Border".You could then copy this to every slide.

I think that Lin Evans has some experience in this area.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

I have a couple of animated GIF's in my latest show 'Ole in the Ark. I overlayed them over coloured PTE generated blank slides & I have done this in the last few shows. When I read your post, I tried what I think you are asking using images from the last show. Screen shot 1 is a gif underlay with the opacity reduced & a gray blank background, the second one is a gif overlay, same principle, no problems at all.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-34323800-1391208123_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-86094200-1391208142_thumb.jp

... Add your gif at the desired opacity and then adjust its speed in the animation tab of "Adjust Image and Border". You could then copy this to every slide ...

Sorry, but this is not even a workaround. In order to achieve a continuous motion with the animated gif, all slide times (non KFSD) have to be multiples of the gif's period, IMO an awful restriction.

Regards,

jt

Guest Yachtsman1

Either I'm missing something or someone is trying to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut :unsure:/> :unsure:/> :unsure:/> I've just created a demo of a gif overlay. I didn't try to use any finesse just a gray PTE background with a few slides appearing in sequence with a continuous running gif overlay with the opacity reduced, what is difficult about that?. :unsure:/> :unsure:/> :unsure:/>

Yachtsman1.

Either I'm missing something or someone is trying to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut unsure.gif/> unsure.gif/> unsure.gif/> I've just created a demo of a gif overlay. I didn't try to use any finesse just a gray PTE background with a few slides appearing in sequence with a continuous running gif overlay with the opacity reduced, what is difficult about that?. unsure.gif/> unsure.gif/> unsure.gif/>

Yachtsman1.

The method used here is using the same method as I described above - at default settings.

Opening the Animation Tab in "Adjust Image and Border" will show that the Repeat = 0.

This means continuous repeat.

Altering the Interval setting will change the speed of the "baling".

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

The method used here is using the same method as I described above - at default settings.

Opening the Animation Tab in "Adjust Image and Border" will show that the Repeat = 0.

This means continuous repeat.

Altering the Interval setting will change the speed of the "baling".

DG

So?

Yachtsman1

Hi,

If you have an animated gif you want to use, just zip it and post a link and I'll show you how to do what you want to achieve.

Let me try to explain what the issue is. There are practical and there are theoretical considerations being discussed here which, in some ways, confuse the issues.

With video, it's possible to have a background video running continuously so that slides are sequenced while the background video remains without missing a beat. This is a feature of PTE. With animated gif files, the animated gif can't actually span multiple slides - that is the animated gif doesn't really continue to run as the slides change, it actually begins anew with each slide, but it can be made to appear that is is running continuously. The way it is made to appear to be running continuously has to do with the repeat sequence frequency versus the time of display of the slide. Since the animated gif can, through PTE's features, be made to function at any desired speed, a speed can be chosen which is an exact factor of the display time of the slide so that when a fade is used as a transition from one slide to the next, the background (or foreground) animated gif will also be faded in and out. But since the fade out and fade in sequences overlap one another perfectly, the appearance is that the animated gif is running continuously. So as the animation is fading out, for example, on slide one and simultaneously fading in on slide two. The net effect is to have the appearance of a continuous animation. The only caveat is that the animation speed must be such that the animation completes its animation in sync with the display time of the slide. By doing this, the animation appears in lock step from slide to slide and in effect, give the identical illusion as a video running continuously.

Of course another approach is to simply convert the animated gif to a video file. There is software available to do this. Then the video can be run continuously. The down side is that as a video, the file size will be appreciably longer than if the same animated gif were used with each slide. The actual file size of repeating the same animated gif over 100 slides is equivalent to repeating it on one slide.

Best regards,

Lin

Think of something like an animated GIF of Jeppsen air charts 'flowing' behind a slideshow of aircraft and airports. Or (the ever-hated) flames behind sports-related images.

I'm probably messed up in my terminology here (overlay vs background)......

Thanks

Lin, your suggestion of doing this via a long video clip is do-able for my purpose, I let myself become unnecessarily hung-up on the the use of an animated GIF.

I will research and try out the use of background video. The background doesn't have to be horribly detailed or high-res, this may help cut down on the size of the presentation