WnSoft Forums

Have a microphone - How do I add voice track

tom95521

I bought a Blue Yeti usb desktop microphone for Christmas but just now starting to test with PTE. I found the microphone icons under Project Options and Slide Options. The record window is modal and I can't preview the slideshow.

http://bluemic.com/yeti/

Just a simple watch the slideshow while talking. I'm sure I have missed something?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The very first thing to do is go to settings and click everything so you will be certain to have the Audio record available while you play your show on the mini-viewer. Next, assuming you have your microphone plugged into the USB port and the light on the microphone is on, click on the start button for the mini-viewer and immediately click the "Add Audio Or Voice" button (next to the Preview icon) and immediately click on "Record" and your microphone will be live and recording. It helps if you start the show with a blank slide with about 15 seconds which you can remove later. Continue to comment as the show is running and when you are finished, just save and then adjust the audio stream position for start if necessary in the timeline and use the start time to remove any silence at the beginning.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

One thing to watch out for, if you have a stand alone web cam with a mike, make sure it is the correct mike you wish to record from. I found out the hard way with Camtasia, I had the web cam plugged in at the same time as my Logitech headset mike & earphone combo, did a capture & the sound was horrible, when I checked what Camtasia was using, it was selecting Teknet web cam mike as a default, which was sat on top of the PC where I'd moved it off the monitor. I think you would need to look in control panel at the sounds options in your situation if you have two mike sources plugged in at the same time. :blink:/>/>

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric, Lin,

I am able to record audio (only have single microphone source) but still having problems with my workflow. I guess I was hoping when I click on record it would start previewing the slideshow automatically. Having to preview the slideshow manually and then rapidly open the record window makes it hard to get the timing correct. Also it doesn't auto create a new track for voice comment so I lose my background music playing.

Thanks for your help. I am sure if I spend more time with microphone audio I will understand the workflow better. Right now I monitor with ear buds but I think I will get headphones.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

I use a Logitech headset, which is a USB earphone / mike set up, so cuts out any sound card problems. If you have checked my tutorials there is shot of me wearing it. For the cost it can't be beat. It has an on off switch & a volume control. I use it for all my voice overs now, & only use my Olympus for outside work. See

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric, Lin,

so I lose my background music playing.

Tom

Hi Tom I'm going through a learning curve with my tutorials using PTE audio. Haven't tried adding voice to PTE by recording on the fly yet, your comment above, did you add a second track for your VO? Just guessing? Also if you are expecting to hear the music at the same time as you speak, I don't think that would happen. :unsure:/>/>/>/>

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Just looked at your mike, IMO the most expensive is not always the best, I wrote the book on mikes when I started. :blink:

post-5560-0-63718100-1392032640_thumb.jp

Hi Tom,

That's why I suggested putting a blank 10 or 15 second image temporarily at the beginning of your show. Once you have finished with the recording live, you then just delete this and adjust the start time by subtracting the 10 or 15 seconds from the audio by altering the start time of the audio portion from the zero default. Of course you could also just trim the silence from the audio which was recorded during the temporary blank slide, but it's very easy to just precisely start the audio in conjunction with your first slide, or where your wish by adjusting start time.

If you want your background music to play while your audio comments play, you just need to put them on separate tracks and play the tracks simultaneously by adjusting the position of the audio track on the timellne. Just drag the track with the background music to start where you want. That way you can easily adjust the volume of the background music while you speak, etc.

Best regards,

Lin