WnSoft Forums

A Strategy For Tutorials with SlideshowClub

Lin Evans

Hi folks,

As more users create tutorials and upload them to various places including Youtube, this forum and to the new SlideshowClub site, the problem of easy access for the new user becomes more apparent.

If your tutorials are individually uploaded without an index, it requires the user to scroll through potentially hundreds of separate files searching for that single download which will help them understand how to accomplish their goal. My suggestion is for each user who creates tutorials to create an index of their work which can be updated as time passes and more tutorials are written. PTE makes it exceedingly easy to do this.

By creating a small executable file with a list of your tutorials and links to them both for MacIntosh and Windows based systems, the user need then only search through the index to find the link to the proper tutorial. Whether your tutorials are housed on SlideshowClub, on YouTube, the Wnsoft Forum or on your own server, with this approach, the user can simply download "one file" and run it to access all your tutorials. Rather than search through the hundreds of individual tutorials to find the particular one they need, they can just download your index with links and click on that particular link to be immediately whisked to the proper source and download.

So if you are creating multiple tutorials, please consider this method because it will make life so much easier for the new user. Anyone who needs instructions on how to do this please message me and I'll provide a brief example and instruction.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Whilst I appreciate the strategy, in my case I can't for the life of me see the reason. If the tutorials are pinned in the tutorial list, it's my understanding the latest is displayed first. It's those that aren't pinned fall off the tree. In the case of Slideshow Club, clicking the link below the posters name in the tutorial section takes you to all their tutorials uploaded to the club, I suppose it might apply to tutorials stored elsewhere? However, in the case of mine, if they are in more than one location, I provide a link to that location. I did suggest recently that a link to Slideshow Club be provided similar to the one on their site, but that didn't go down well.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-36906900-1392052763_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-06499400-1392052783_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-75705000-1392052807_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-79190200-1392053118_thumb.jp

Whilst I appreciate the strategy, in my case I can't for the life of me see the reason. If the tutorials are pinned in the tutorial list, it's my understanding the latest is displayed first. It's those that aren't pinned fall off the tree. In the case of Slideshow Club, clicking the link below the posters name in the tutorial section takes you to all their tutorials uploaded to the club, I suppose it might apply to tutorials stored elsewhere? However, in the case of mine, if they are in more than one location, I provide a link to that location. I did suggest recently that a link to Slideshow Club be provided similar to the one on their site, but that didn't go down well.

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

As admin, I added the link on slideshowclub.com back to the PTE forum. However I do not administer the PTE Forum. Have you suggested to Igor (since he is the forum's administrator) to add such a link here?

Bill

Hi folks,

As more users create tutorials and upload them to various places including Youtube, this forum and to the new SlideshowClub site, the problem of easy access for the new user becomes more apparent.

If your tutorials are individually uploaded without an index, it requires the user to scroll through potentially hundreds of separate files searching for that single download which will help them understand how to accomplish their goal. My suggestion is for each user who creates tutorials to create an index of their work which can be updated as time passes and more tutorials are written. PTE makes it exceedingly easy to do this.

By creating a small executable file with a list of your tutorials and links to them both for MacIntosh and Windows based systems, the user need then only search through the index to find the link to the proper tutorial. Whether your tutorials are housed on SlideshowClub, on YouTube, the Wnsoft Forum or on your own server, with this approach, the user can simply download "one file" and run it to access all your tutorials. Rather than search through the hundreds of individual tutorials to find the particular one they need, they can just download your index with links and click on that particular link to be immediately whisked to the proper source and download.

So if you are creating multiple tutorials, please consider this method because it will make life so much easier for the new user. Anyone who needs instructions on how to do this please message me and I'll provide a brief example and instruction.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin. Good ideal. I like what you've done with your small executable on slideshowclub. Keeps it very clean and is easily managed. I suppose an ultimate feature would be a search box so a user could just type in what subject they were interested in. Lots of work though. We'll probably LOTS more work! :-)

Bill

HI Bill,

Yes, once I discovered that my problem with url links was my own fault and not that of PTE (thanks Igor), I was able to create a tiny file which the user can download which links to both tutorials and their index as well as samples, Wnsoft and the Wnsoft Fora.

It's probably not nearly as important for those who only have a few tutorials, but in my case the number of tutorials, samples and associated files is close to 70 and it would be difficult for the new user of PTE to have to scroll through each link to find one which might match their need. Having an index just greatly simplifies things. Hopefully, if each person who creates tutorials can provide an index of what each is about - specifics rather than generalities - it could be that eventually we could create an alphabetic index tutorial index containing links to everyone's tutorials which could be updated with links as new tutorials are added. It's so easy and quick to do with PTE that actually creating such is a relatively easy job. Creating a search might be more difficult because that would entail a database approach. It would be possible with a MySQL or Access database, but I don't know whether the SlideshowClub software has the necessary hooks for such. Even without this, if the index is in alphabetical order, it would be much easier for the new user to quickly find what they need.

It's much easier to get ahead of it now before things get unwieldy I think....

Best regards,

Lin

Hi,

I am not in any way qualified to offer a technical opinion on this matter, though I wholeheartedly endorse and encourage any action that can simplify the process of locating advice and knowledge of PTE.

I would however ask if consideration has been given to the use of Wiki. I have been impressed by the way in which Audacity uses this service and I recall that Igor has hinted in the recent past to the possibility of adopting it in some way.

Regards

John

HI John,

That (Wiki) actually will be used for PTE's online documentation (user guide, manual etc.) but that's really not what this post is all about. This is about the tutorials which individuals write to help users learn specifics about PTE which go beyond the basics of the User Guide and the perceived need to carefully index them to facilitate finding the pertinent information quickly and efficiently.

It's not the location of the tutorials which is important, different users will actually house their tutorials in different places. Several of us have our own servers, for example, and already have gigabytes of tutorials in various formats already stored and backed up. Trying to transfer them to some common place would be an enormous time sink. Some users will create PDF type help while others will create video tutorials. For instance, though I personally find PDF type tutorials which could easily be stored in the Wiki format very helpful for users, I can create ten video tutorials in the same time span in which I could write only one PDF type tutorial. My time is limited so I won't change my own methods. I can't speak for others, but I'm fairly certain that Barry, for example, has the same situation. It's just way too difficult to take the hundreds of already created files and try to convert them to some common format which is amenable to a particular system.

What is important, in my way of thinking, is that the information be organized in such a way that the user can quickly sort through an index or glossary to find the particular help that they need. It really isn't important at all where the information resides, what is important is that links to that information are organized in such a way so as to prevent frustration for the new PTE user. Many will use web-based services such as Vimeo and YouTube to house their video examples and tutorials. Of course there is a downside to that as well. If the user doesn't have web access at the time they need help, it would be convenient to have the information resident on their own system. So downloads also need to be available. Here where I live, a significant number of people have very slow internet. Though they can slowly download a file overnight, watching a lengthy video online is problematic and aggravating.

Eventually, it might be possible to place indices and links to tutorials on Wiki along with the User Guide and that might be a very good place to also link to them. But that too actually will be facilitated if those who write tutorials provided a usable index to keep things tidy.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thank you for that, as ever, extremely detailed reply.

It simply appeared to me that the Audacity/Wiki pages offer links to both on-site and off-site Tutorials which appear to include a wide range of locations including the likes of YouTube.

Have a shifty at the attached.

Regards

John

post-2441-0-70690500-1392111132_thumb.jp

HI Bill,

Yes, once I discovered that my problem with url links was my own fault and not that of PTE (thanks Igor), I was able to create a tiny file which the user can download which links to both tutorials and their index as well as samples, Wnsoft and the Wnsoft Fora.

It's probably not nearly as important for those who only have a few tutorials, but in my case the number of tutorials, samples and associated files is close to 70 and it would be difficult for the new user of PTE to have to scroll through each link to find one which might match their need. Having an index just greatly simplifies things. Hopefully, if each person who creates tutorials can provide an index of what each is about - specifics rather than generalities - it could be that eventually we could create an alphabetic index tutorial index containing links to everyone's tutorials which could be updated with links as new tutorials are added. It's so easy and quick to do with PTE that actually creating such is a relatively easy job. Creating a search might be more difficult because that would entail a database approach. It would be possible with a MySQL or Access database, but I don't know whether the SlideshowClub software has the necessary hooks for such. Even without this, if the index is in alphabetical order, it would be much easier for the new user to quickly find what they need.

It's much easier to get ahead of it now before things get unwieldy I think....

Best regards,

Lin

I like what you have done. As I mentioned, it's clean and manageable. I realize that any database system would be way over the top. Slideshowclub, to my knowledge, currently doesn't have that capability. What you have done is a great service for the PTE community. Lots of work on yourpart !! Thank you!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks, I hope other tutorial writers when they have several uploaded will create an index and upload that so that new users can quickly find the ones which best fit their needs. Having names such as Tutorial 1, Tutorial 6, etc., with explanations after in the SlideshowClub or PTE forum section means that users have to scroll to and click on and read each entry to try to find the desired content. Having an index allows them to quickly scan the content then go directly to the desired tutorial. It's such a small step for the writer and such a huge convenience for the user that I fail to see why anyone who writes tutorials would object to this small extra step. Creating an index with links is extremely easy with PTE folks, let's use the software we have been blessed with to optimize the learning curve!!

Thanks,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

I have created an accessible data base as suggested. However the method I have used is via a PDF file. It contains links to all my tutorials & shows I have uploaded to various hosting sites, including SSC, Mediafire, Youtube. It can be downloaded from SSC using http://www.slideshowclub.com/files/file/79-my-database-by-yachtsman1/

when it has been approved. I have no objection to the material in there being used for regular purposes, but not to be sold on. If I find my material being sold, I will seek retribution.

Yachtsman1.