WnSoft Forums

Bold file names for used images

fuzzy

I use P2E for manually advanced programs for speaking presentations.

I sometimes pass the pte and image files back and forth between various computers. For example, I design a show for a speaking engagment on my main computer, then refine it on my laptop in the hotel room. When I do this, or later copy that refined pte and files back to my main computer, the bold listing for the active images goes away. I like to have that feature because I delete unused files from the folder.

How can I get P2E to once again recognize which files are being used by showing them in bold?

PTE stores, in the project file (the .pte), the full path of each image file. When you port the entire collection to a different system it is highly likely that the drive and folder will be different. If you port, make a change, save the project, close PTE and then re-start PTE, I think (not 100% certain) that the bold will come back. It will then be lost again next time you port, until after you have done a change and a save. Be aware that PTE emboldens only the main image. Any images used as objects (e.g. as pictures within pictures) will not have their file names emboldened.

regards,

Peter

If you save the Project as Backup in ZIP (or Template) only the used images are transferred to the ZIP file.

I am not sure if the Bold Text is maintained but at least you only have the USED Images and Audio etc in a single folder.

DG

BTW, I tried swapping folders of zipped files and the actual jpgs, and the bold listing stayed the same. So apparently it's the pte file that I'm having trouble with. (Sorry if this is elementary... but I'm not too sharp on this stuff. I've used P2E since the first or second version, but I don't dig into the inner workings.)

BTW, if necessary I could save my original pte on my main coimputer and write down the changes I make at the hotel... but that could be an enormous PITA with some of the massive changes I make when at the hotel.

Fuzzy,

I checked this out.

Only a TEMPLATE will disregard non-used files. But when the PTE is opened from the Template copy none of the images are in BOLD. They should ALL be BOLD?

A Backup to Zip seems to backup even the unused files - strange - further research required.

Neither solution is 100% acceptable, but the Template is as close to what you require as it is possible to get.

(Apparently??).

DG

I really like the bold letters. It not only helps to know what to delete, but what I've not used yet. Often I drop images in the folder, then later add those to the show. The thin lettering clues me in that they aren't in the show.

Dave,

Fuzzy,

I checked this out.

Only a TEMPLATE will disregard non-used files. But when the PTE is opened from the Template copy none of the images are in BOLD. They should ALL be BOLD?

A BIZ seems to backup even the unused files - strange - further research required.

Neither solution is 100% acceptable, but the Template is as close to what you require as it is possible to get.

(Apparently??).

DG

1) Only a TEMPLATE will disregard non-used files. But when the PTE is opened from the Template copy none of the images are in BOLD. They should ALL be BOLD?

When you opened the TEMPLATE Pte file ... you were most likely seeing the File List of the original image directory ?

* Try adjusting the File List to locate the actual TEMPLATE folder to see those actual image files in bold.

2) A BIZ seems to backup even the unused files - strange - further research required

Here again you were most likely seeing the File List of the original image directory. Backup in Zip does not include unused files ... so you should not see or have them in that backup folder.

*All Bold text appear correct in my tests ... after I locate the FileList directly to its new folder location. PTE program does not auto remember/open the File List to these new directories because those Pte files need to be saved with the new File List location so the folder information can be added/recorded to the ProjectsExtraData. After saving/closing/ reopen ... the image files will appear Bold and the File List will display correctly.

Fuzzy,

When you move the files from one PC to the other ... are all the files transfered in a single folder ?

There is no image loss in zip ... the image file remains the same after unzip. Zip is more or less file data whitespace compression ... it compresses that space between the data during zip to make the file smaller and restores it after zip. The more whitespace a file has ... the more it will compress.

* Read Post #10 above for details.

Stu,

I think that you are right about the File Lists.

I just did a quick check to answer Fuzzy.

After creating the Template or BIZ there is probably a specific way to open the project which addresses the correct file list.

DG

Stu,

After further checking......yes I was looking at the original File Lists

This is all to do with the discussion on File List Association isn't it?

Opening the .pte file in the Extracted BIZ does not automatically associate with the "new" folder.

What now happens if you transfer the BIZ to a different drive?

Same thing.

DG