WnSoft Forums

Opening Slideshows on Macs Created on PCs

Jontine

I have a laptop PC with PictureToExe Deluxe 7.5.10. I usually create .exe versions of slideshows for my own use or for others who have PCs and this works very successfully. However, my son and daughter both have Macs and so I publish the same slideshows in Mac format and put them in Dropbox for them to use. However, neither of them can find a way of opening the slideshows and, as far as I can tell, I'm following the advice in the manual. Can anyone advise what recipients should do with the folder that results from publishing an executable file for mac?

We PC users are all pretty much in the same boat in that we cannot test any slideshows that we produce in MAC format.

However, do your son and daughter both have Intel Macs?

That's about the depth of my knowledge on this issue - they must have Intel Macs. (I think??).

DG

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes. They must have Intel Macs running OS X which is not a problem if their Macs are less than 6 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple's_transition_to_Intel_processors

I recommend you always use the zip option when publishing Mac slideshows. Then you copy the zip file to your dropbox folder. On their Macs they double click on the zip file to open and it creates a slideshow file with the blue PTE icon. Double click on the slideshow file to run.

Mac file format is different for applications than Windows file format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork

Tom

Many thanks to Dave and Tom. I'll pass your advice to my son and daughter (or send them a link to this forum). Next time I'll make sure that I create a Mac format slideshow in a Zip folder (as long as they have Intel Macs with OS X). Next time I visit them it'll be interesting to see how it all works on a Mac instead of a PC.

John,

If their MACs are not Intel equipped I think that I am right in saying that the MPEG4 Video option is still open to you.

File size is bigger but you could possibly consider a (Data) Disc via Snail Mail.

Another option is to upload a Video to YouTube and send them a link.

DG