WnSoft Forums

auto level of volume occuring on PC?

tim4web

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if you can help. I use my PC to create slideshows that will be used in multiple formats (including DVDs).

When I create the slideshow in PTE with multiple mp3s in the soundtrack, the volume level across all the tunes sounds consistent.. but when I burn a DVD and play it on a DVD player, some tracks are much louder or quieter than others.

So then I edit the volume of individual mp3s in the project, and when I play it on my PC in PTE, the volume sounds roughly the same... but when I play a new version of the DVD on the DVD player, the sound changes are much greater.

Any idea what is causing this? Is this because my PC is doing some clever auto-levelling when I play back in PTE?

If so, that's been the case not only on my current windows 8 PC, but also my previous windows 7 one, with a different soundcard/hardware?

I actually find the levels when playing on my PC exactly what I want in the finished output! But having it sound different to what it does when playing on the DVD player obviously makes it very difficult to edit the project appropriately.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks, Tim

No. I have not experienced this problem.

What version of PTE?

Are you using Publish Show -> DVD to create the DVD?

Problem on more than one version of PTE?

If you play the DVD on the PC does it sound the same as the PTE slideshow?

Have you tried another DVD player?

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

I have noticed this phemomena, not as described editing sound in PTE. What I do when equalising volumes of various single audio files in a multi file show, is to batch level them in Audacity, select all the tracks by holding the shift key and highlighting each track, then select "effect" "leveller" & allow the 70db default.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-38328000-1404133884_thumb.jp

Hi Tom - in answer to your questions:

What version of PTE? 8

Are you using Publish Show -> DVD to create the DVD? Yes

Problem on more than one version of PTE? I've used them all since version 5, and its always been a problem for me. I don't actually think the problem is PTE though!

If you play the DVD on the PC does it sound the same as the PTE slideshow? Yes

Have you tried another DVD player? No - I will try that later today and let you know.

So then I edit the volume of individual mp3s in the project, and when I play it on my PC in PTE, the volume sounds roughly the same... but when I play a new version of the DVD on the DVD player, the sound changes are much greater.

Balancing volumes by listening to them is a very inexact way of doing things. This is especialy true if you are listening using tiny PC speakers.

When you playback using your DVD player, do you mean one connected to your TV? ...or the one in your PC system?

If the former, what do things sound like when you play the DVD in the PC's DVD player?

Any idea what is causing this? Is this because my PC is doing some clever auto-levelling when I play back in PTE?...

It might be. Have you investigated the Properties and the Configuration of your playback devices? If not, begin by right-clicking the loudspeaker icon in the System Tray area and then review all the current settings on all the various tabs. Make no changes during this first investigation. If you see something that causes you to wonder whether it is contributing to your problem, note the function and its value and tell us what you have found.

...I actually find the levels when playing on my PC exactly what I want in the finished output! But having it sound different to what it does when playing on the DVD player obviously makes it very difficult to edit the project appropriately.

Manipulating sound files and diagnosing sound problems is a whole new learning curve for most folks. And that curve is both long and steep. Successful diagnosis may be facilitated by being able to see the waveform of your sound file as a professional sound engineer would see it, with the ability to choose different axis scales (relative loudness, actual dB, frequency spectrum and so on).

Based on the limited detail in the information you have provided, my suspicions currently are that you are hearing the difference between two radically different playback mediums. Answers to the questions I have asked in my annotations to your original post (hopefully visible in red italic) will help to eliminate some factors.

regards,

Peter