WnSoft Forums

My PTE shows on Vimeo

Hello !

I read that Igor suggests French users of PTE to post their shows here...

I recently put my PTE shows on Vimeo. I know the quality is not as good as .exe files, but I found that HD movies are quite adequate for watching on a computer screen. The main drawback is probably the animations, which are not quite as smooth...

My Vimeo channel is here : https://vimeo.com/channels/danmasse

I must apologize, since all my shows are commented in French...

Thanks for your comments !

Beautiful show on la vallée du Rio Cochamó, accès secret à la Cordillère Dan, it makes me want to visit that part of Chili!

I'll be looking at your other shows - thanks very much for the link!

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin !

Thanks for your appreciation !

One of the reasons why I made this trip report on the Cochamó valley is because the cliffs surrounding the "Junta" are very similar to the Yosemite Valley : the rock is granite, and the heigth is about the same - 1000 meters. Climbers have discovered this spot, but still very few are going there, as the place is quite remote, and the trail is a bit rough, accessible on foot or on horseback only. So : no tourists !

On Vimeo, you will find several movies made by climbers on these cliffs.

I see that you live in Colorado... That state is very close to my heart... You will understand when you watch my show "Anna" (let me know if you need a translation).

All the best !

Dan

Hi Dan,

Loved "Anna" and the many great shots and historical facts. I assume Gabriel was related to you and then Anna as well by marriage?

The Montrose area of Colorado is a beautiful place and I'm sure Anna was very happy there - sad that Gabriel passed away at such a young age though, pneumonia took many in those days... I understand Anna remarried and eventually sold the ranch and lived to 89 years...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin !

Well, I guess I should translate the comments : even for those who speak french, the story is not easy to follow. It must be quite impossible to understand for an english-speaking person...

Here we are :

1 - Thursday, October 25, 1917, 5:43 am. The liner "La Touraine" arrives in New York. She left Bordeaux on October 15.

2 - She used to be the most beautiful liner of the french fleet, but she was converted to personnel carrier in 1914. Her rich interior fittings are only a memory...

3 - Then, on this day of October 1917, she transported many french immigrants. Among them, Anna

4 - She came from a little village located between Gap and Barcelonnette, La Bréole, in the Alpes de Haute Provence

5 - More precisely, she came from a very small hamlet, which still exists : Les Goérands

6 - Things have not changed much, except the few houses have been refurbished

7 - Only one thing changed : the Serre Ponçon lake did not exist then...

8 - Joseph left for the US in 1879, when he was 17. He came from the family farm in Les Fillys, not very far from La Bréole

9 - For more than 20 years, he tends sheep in the West, moving the flock with the seasons. Little by little, he builds up his own flock.

10 - In 1900, his brother Gabriel, 21 years old, joins Joseph. Both continue to tend their flock

11 - They have no house, no family, and sleep in a tent

12 - Anna only stays a few days in New York

13 - She leaves immediately for a long trip (by train !) : Colorado, via Chicago. More than 3000 kilometers

14 - She arrives in Chicago after 2 days

15 - She then boards a West-going train, maybe the "Colorado Express", and arrives in Pueblo, Colorado, two days later. She changes train, and arrives in Salida, from where she goes to Montrose by road

16 - Montrose... a tiny little town... what is she going to do there ?

17 - She probably did not come to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnisson

18 - Her arrival does not go unnoticed

19 - In 1910, Joseph, the elder of the two brothers tending sheep, goes back to France. He is 47. He buys a farm in Gap, marries Marie, and starts a family.

20 - In 1912, his young brother Gabriel, who is also tired of his nomadic life, looks for a ranch where he could quietly take care of his sheep.

21 - He finds a suitable place in Cimarron, not far from Montrose. A nice ranch : it takes one full day to ride around the place. But this was not too small, to house several thousands sheep...

22 - But how could he start a family ? Women are scarce...

He writes his brother Joseph : would he know of somebody who might be interested, by chance ?

Joseph does not have to look very far : his sister-in-law, Anna, is interested... She hesitates a little, then takes the decision...

23 - Anna and Gabriel meet then in Montrose.

They had never met before !

By chance, they like each other - and marry immédiately !

24 - Unfortunately, Gabriel dies 3 years later, from pneumonia

Anna never remarried : she stayed in Colorado, and hired a keeper to take care of the sheep

Eventually, she sold the ranch and the sheep, and invested the money, from which she lived until 89, leaving a fair heritage

25 (written on last slide) Anna was my grand mother's sister. She married Gabriel, brother of my granfather Joseph. I knew her well : she regularly came to visit us in France. Quite a woman...

As you see, this is a bit complicated... But it is a wonderful story !

All the best !

Dan

Thank's very much Dan! Cimarron, Colorado is a beautiful little place right on the Morrow Point Reservoir. I can see why she would love it being that near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. A few years ago I was there in winter and wading waist deep snow got the image posted below of a beautiful buck deer.

I really appreciate the translation - I was having a bit of a problem trying to do it with Google but it is all clear now! Wonderful story! From the type of ranching (sheep) and the love you have for the mountains, I assume your ancestry is Basque? I fully understand living in a tent - my late wife and I lived in a tent for six months when we first moved to Colorado to attend college. Later for many years we lived in small travel trailers and enjoyed the nomadic life. When we lived in California many, many years ago we always loved going to a Basque restaurant in Bakersfield where there is a fairly large population of Basque people. They had a huge table where everyone sat and passed the food just like a family might do on holidays. It was a great experience and a great way to meet new people!

Best regards,

Lin

deer.jpg

Hi Lin !

Yes, Cimarron is a beautiful place... A few years ago, we rented a cabin for our vacations, close to the Wilderness area on Cimarron road. I have wanted to go back, and I am considering going in the fall : I unterstand the foliage is beautiful !

No, my ancestors are not Basque (Western part of the Pyrénées mountains, on the border of France and Spain), but from the Southern Alps, between Gap and Barcelonnette. Many people from that area emigrated to the Americas during the XIX th century, mostly to Mexico (many houses in the little town of Barcelonnette are built to the Mexican style : it looks a bit odd...).

It is interesting that you should mention Bakersfield : according to the story which was transmitted orally (I found absolutely no document...), my grandfather Joseph went to San Francisco in 1879, to live with a relative (an uncle ?) who had an hotel in SF. I could find no trace of that relative, and I don't even know his last name... A few years later, he met some French people - probably Basque - , who were based in Bakersfield, where they were tending sheep. He went with them, and stayed for a while in Bakersfield. He called for his three brothers to come from France to join him (yes, three more brothers came from France. Gabriel was the youngest, and came later), and they moved to the State of Washington, and then to Poccatello (Idaho) also to raise sheep. Joseph was based in Poccatello until he went back to France in 1910.

And presently, by coincidence, my daughter lives in Fresno, Ca, a short distance from Bakersfield... She married an american, and they have two daughters, whom I visit regularly...

When Gabriel went to Cimarron, he had a Basque working for him. I believe his name was Chouchour.

Anna had a brother, Louis Matheron - whom I knew well - whose story would also be worth telling - if I only had more information... Louis went to Montrose in 1919 to help his sister to tend the ranch. He went to the US through Mexico, and walked (!!) all the way to Montrose... Later, he also walked from Spain all the way to the Alps...

I also have inherited the taste for tents (or just sleeping under the stars, which we frequently do) : we are just coming back from a two week camping trip in northern Norway, where free camping is permitted - as long as you pitch your tent at least 150 meters from the next house. There, we camped most of the time, and it was great ! (no sleeping under the sky : it rains too frequently !)

I will write a review on my site, where you can see reports of a few of our trips (in english !). It's here : http://www.masse-fr.com/HomePage.html (look for the English Menu at the top of the page).

All the best !

Dan

• 5 months later...

I went back to the Cimarron road, in Colorado, this last October.

And I just finished a show, which I put up on Vimeo. You'll find it here :

https://vimeo.com/channels/danmasse

Sorry... The comments are still in French... But the pictures are quite nice, I think : the aspen are in full fall colors !

Please let me know, if you find anything I could improve on...

• 1 year later...

I just realized that I had forgotten to let you all know about the english translation I made of two of my shows : "Anna (English)", and "Lyngen - A true Love".

They are both on my Vimeo channel : Vimeo Channel

Also, you will find a show I made with interviews of american workers, in 1975 : "Lynchburg, Virginia - 1975". Have things changed much ?

Enjoy !

• 3 months later...
On 10/08/2014 at 6:23 PM, danmassefrance said:

Hello !

I read that Igor suggests French users of PTE to post their shows here...

I recently put my PTE shows on Vimeo. I know the quality is not as good as .exe files, but I found that HD movies are quite adequate for watching on a computer screen. The main drawback is probably the animations, which are not quite as smooth...

My Vimeo channel is here : https://vimeo.com/channels/danmasse

I must apologize, since all my shows are commented in French...

Thanks for your comments !

SUPERBE !