WnSoft Forums

Southeastern Utah and Capital Reef National Park

cagney123

I put together a show in two parts from 2011. Now downloadable at:

http://www.slideshowclub.com/files/file/241-southeastern-utah-and-capital-reef-np-part-1-of-2/

http://www.slideshowclub.com/files/file/243-utah-2011-part-2/

Karen and I had a real good time on this trip. I hope you will enjoy our adventure as well.

Jeff

Loved your show, Jeff!

We were up in that area 3 times this past summer and I never tire of it. Didn't get to do the Halls Crossing Ferry, though, as it was closed for about 6 months and didn't open again until late September. We spent a night in Bluff and toured the Pioneer Museum. In fact, we got to experience the amazing story of the Mormons' journey from the Escalante end, the Bluff side and then at the "Hole in the Rock" from Lake Powell itself. Can't wait to see part 2 and Capitol Reef. I love that place! Let me know if you will be in AZ this winter and maybe we can get together for a photo shoot.

Wonderful adventures Jeff - if only some of those old walls (both canyon and cabin) could talk - what a tale they could tell. "I Guess I'm Just a Tourist, After All" Wasatch to Boulder....

I didn't know Rex had passed - fitting to spread his (their) ashes in the land that they loved.

Best regards,

Lin

I feel the same way about wishing I could talk to the walls. It would be so much fun to be able to appear a hundred years earlier, just for a day or two to see the folks in their prime and also their homes in full glory. I'm sure it was hard work but satisfying at the end of the day.

I've done the southern Utah and northern Arizona route a few times so I have had lots of adventures with Mormons. Hanksville is one of my favorite towns. Odd characters all around, but fun. There is a small motel there with a very cranky woman running it. She has a graveyard of dogs you have to pass by to register. She hates dogs, obviously. In 1997 I gave a tour to my parents and in-laws. We drove up to the place as I knew it was clean and quiet just from looking at it. I walked in to get two rooms for the folks and this gal had already seen my dog, Buck, with his enormous head sticking out of the car. She looked like she was going to shoot me and Buck. "Didn't you see the graveyard", she grumbled? I just laughed and told her I saw the graveyard and get the point. I told her I have a graveyard next to my place filled with cranky old ladies. I had to do a lot of apologizing explaining my humor and that her humor didn't bother me. Plus renting two rooms calmed her down. I wouldn't let Buck out of the car near that place.

When we went across on the ferry it only had us and another car. I couldn't believe they were running. Big fun though.

My pal Utah Slim shared most of his experiences up in that area. He lived a few years in Sugarville. He was Jehovah Witness and said he got along with the Jack Mormons. I am not an organized religion man, but I'm not Atheist either. I just don't like big groups with lots of rules.

I will get to Arizona soon I hope. I have been in and out of hospitals and doctor offices all summer and I still have a bunch of appointments.

Luckily I still feel pretty good so I would love to get together sometime. I have a small double wide trailer in Dolan Springs, AZ. Maybe we could meet and have a little adventure from there...or we could meet on the trail...I'm game as I can camp in any weather.

Always good to hear from you, Lin. Sounds like we have quite a bit in common.

All the best to you,

Jeff