WnSoft Forums

How do users layout their P2E slideshows?

jopo

I have been using P2E for a few months and usually import pictures into a folder, rearrange them for proper flow, then begin working with each picture for effects, transitions, timing, etc. Some of Boxig's programs have been invaluable aids in the process. I find however that I spend a lot of time previewing the project over and over, each time making only slight changes to number of seconds a picture is on screen or how to transition to the next photo.

I was curious how some of the more intensive, professional appearing slideshows are created. Do users begin with a storyboard and lay out all of the pictures on paper? Perhaps printed as thumbnails with screen placement and transitions notated by each picture. Or it is more of a trial and error procedure while repeatedly previewing the project as it unfolds.

I don't know if it is worth a discussion but I'd like to hear some member suggestions on their ways of working on a project from conception to completion.

Jopo

I follow somewhat the same process as you do. I am not a professional but I have more than a few dozen shows, both digitally and analog.

There is no one way to do it to me mind. Just go with what works for you, and yes you will get tired of watching your show before you get it finalized.

Boxig utilities are good, Alrobin's ADJUSTOR has a light table as well and lets you do timing changes to groups of slides at the sametime

Hi Jopo,

I made 4 shows eversince I discovered Pictures to Exe last july. It takes me a lot of time to get pictures and music perfect. I find Boxig's Dark table a great help (thanks Granot! :rolleyes: ). I start my projects kind of blind eyed. They grow as I work. And lots of time during the buildup I change my mind about effects or music I use. In the end I have watched all the pictures about a hundred times or more. But it works for me that way. To be short, I make my shows like I live my life: kind of chaotic :P

Marianne

Boxig, Jim and Marianne:

Thanks for the replies to my original post. I have tried Boxig's SopaDarkTable and found it useful. It's good to be able to arrange the images in the order that works best for a project. I wanted to try Alrobin's Adjustor but if my memory serves me it required Excel, which I don't have available.

I am working on a project now and have been laying things out like a storyboard. I plan on paper which image to use, where to place it (as an object). transitions and timing. Then I go into P2E and start inserting everything according to my worksheet. After that I do as you mention Marianne. I view the project over and over making slight adjustments to tweak things.

Laying it out on paper has been worth the effort. I don't get quite as confused as before when I would just take the images in a folder, put them into the project, then start to move them up and down until I got the order that I wanted. Then it was a matter of working on the transitions and using images as objects for exact placement.

I thought perhaps I was the only unorganized person who had been starting prljects without a clear idea of beginning, middle and end.

Thanks again for the replies. I'd be interested to hear how others proceed with their projects.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I have only just started with PTE but I have found it useful to create separate exe for each section of the show and link them using a separate menu system. This way I can work on each smaller section discretely and keep a better track of where I am. Each section could also then be distributed separately or

as a group for the full show.

The menu exe can then simply be amended and resaved to tailor the show to its intended audience giving access to some areas and not to others.

I am on dialup so its not possible to share at the moment. It seems to be working at the moment but as I say I only registered on Thursday and I am already working on my 3rd show. I will follow the DVD thread with interest.

P

Here is the system I use:

1.Stare at a blank piece of paper for at least a month.

2.Finnaly get an idea

3.Write the script.

4.Write a shooting list.

5.Load all into the dark table to sort.

6.Load to P2E.

7. Search the planet for the music.

8. Compile and fiddle for ever or longer if nessary.

9.Finally be happy with the show.

10. Go lie down for a year.

Alan :rolleyes:

B) If you have Photoshop (or similar) a good approach is to add all of the images you propose to use into one document - each on a separate layer. Then you can experiment with different orders, fades, image sizes etc - simply by viewing each layer as you wish. When you've got the layer stack in the order that you want, crop the lot to the image size you plan to use. Then use "Save for web" to get each layer saved as a separate JPG of no more than approx 200 kb.

There's no shortcut but this method works for me.

As for choosing the music, that's another matter. I like "big choral/classical" stuff and this doesn't generally feature in the copywrite-free stuff. That's why my shows are private affairs - I'm not giving the "cw police" any encouragement!

Hope this helps.

Roger.