WnSoft Forums

PTE does not play trimmed AVI file

steven62

Hello,

I have recently started to get back into making slide shows after a very busy several months, I have missed it.

I have run into a strange problem and am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I made a show which included an avi file from a couple of Canon compact cameras done 4 or 5 years ago and have had no problems.

I then decided to add several other avi files but wanted to trim several minutes off of each one.

I used Cyberlinks Power Director 12 to do the trimming then saved as an avi. When I go to my image file for PTE I find that the file shows the file name but not the image of the thumbnail and I am unable to select it.

I then downloaded and installed Virtual Dub and ended up with the same problem. Same thing with 2 other video editing programs.

Funny thing though is I have 3 video players: VLC, Windows Media Player, and MPC-HC and they all show the thumbnail image and play the file.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

My Computer:

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150)
Graphics
PA249 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (EVGA)
Realtek High Definition Audio

PTE version 8.0.10

Thank You,

Steven

Hi Steven,

I can't be certain, but you may be running into a fairly common situation with video software. When you "trim" in most video software, what the software actually does is simply insert "markers" indicating where to start and stop and if you look in PTE you will most likely see that the full length of the original video is retained. Doing this can cause issues with PTE.

The best way to proceed is to convert your video right in PTE and do the trimming there. When you do it via PTE the video is rendered without these markers and actually trimmed rather than virtually trimmed. PTE will then play the converted file perfectly.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thank you for getting the cob webs out of my head. I used to do this back in the version 7 days but completely forgot about it.

I did go into the help files but got no results when I typed "trimming videos" into the search field but after your reply I went back and found the section on adding videos whic included information on adding, trimming, and converting.

Thanks again for the reminder.

Steven

Steven,

Thanks for the comment on searching the Help File.

Using this facility always depends on the search term used and in this case the word "trimming" had not been used anywhere in the Help File but if you had searched on "trim" you would have found it.

I have added the phrase "Trimming Video" for future searches.

DG

Steven,

Thanks for the comment on searching the Help File.

Using this facility always depends on the search term used and in this case the word "trimming" had not been used anywhere in the Help File but if you had searched on "trim" you would have found it.

I have added the phrase "Trimming Video" for future searches.

DG

Dave,

The reason I added the longer word for "trim" is a habit I got into when using search terms when in the forums. I remembered that short words did not work.

I recently up-dated video editing using PTE & added a short tutorial on YouTube. See

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

Thanks for the video. Good job.

I muddled my way through it before seeing your reply and it seemed to work but your tutorial will help with the next 5 videos that I need to convert and trim. Thanks.

Steven