WnSoft Forums

Creating Menu Window

snapcam

Firstly I have previous successfully created menu windows for my shows.

I now have a problem I can't understand.

When I create the menu window and test in preview it seems to work normally.

When I publish the exe. it only opens the sound and I have a blank screen.

The exe. files I am opening run normally outside the menu window.

I think on one occasion it did open picture and sound but then failed on the next attempt.

Guest Yachtsman1

Snapcam

I downloaded 8.12 yesterday as reported in another thread & created a new show. I used the makings of that show to create a simple 3 slide menu, blank, picture, blank, with a music clip on the first blank slide. I added a button to the picture slide to use to actuate the exe of the previous days show. I set the control to manual advance in project options & the first blank slide to 20 seconds. I set the button in the picture slide to "run application or open file" selected the exe of the previous show. I then published an exe of the menu & tried it. The blank slide played the first music clip, so I manually advanced to the picture slide, left clicked the show exe actuation button & the show including pictures & music ran normally. Conclusion, can only assume something wrong with your methodology, try following mine & see what happens.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-93235200-1424905607_thumb.jppost-5560-0-63007900-1424905620_thumb.jp

I am almost convinced I have a Laptop problem.

I set up a menu window with 3 shows containing 2 slides intending to send as Peter had suggested.

This did not run coming up blank.

This morning the same programme ran initially then stopped showing some.

I have had numerous combinations of results when I show from the menu but normal running if the exe is shown itself.

From the menu I get music and blank screen the nav. bar does not move however manually moving the bar reveals the images.

I lifted the folder to my desktop and it seems to run normally.

Hence my laptop suspicions or could my PTE8 be corrupted?

What do the computer buffs think?

The laptop is an ASUS N55s, Intel i5 processor, GEFORCE 2GB dedicated Graphics, 6GB Ram 450 GB on C drive,

After I had bought this laptop a problem with this model was discovered by folk in the RPS GROUP in that the dedicated graphics card cannot be made to operate unless the programme it is running has been associated with it at production. In other words (if I understand it correctly) If I create a PTE exe file and associate the programme with the graphics then fine, if I play another not made using that card the laptop uses the lesser integrated graphics and the laptop cannot be forced to use it. So if I am running a festival with exe. files from different produces the dedicated graphics card is useless.

I have used this laptop for several large shows previously and it seemed OK until now hence why I am now suspecting a fault with the laptop itself.

Snapcam

Guest Yachtsman1

The laptop is an ASUS N55s, Intel i5 processor, GEFORCE 2GB dedicated Graphics, 6GB Ram 450 GB on C drive,

After I had bought this laptop a problem with this model was discovered by folk in the RPS GROUP in that the dedicated graphics card cannot be made to operate unless the programme it is running has been associated with it at production. In other words (if I understand it correctly) If I create a PTE exe file and associate the programme with the graphics then fine, if I play another not made using that card the laptop uses the lesser integrated graphics and the laptop cannot be forced to use it. So if I am running a festival with exe. files from different produces the dedicated graphics card is useless.

I have used this laptop for several large shows previously and it seemed OK until now hence why I am now suspecting a fault with the laptop itself.

Snapcam

Hi Snapcam

That happened when I bought my current LT, it was running everything on the video card that came with the carcass, not the hi spec card I had ordered. By right clicking an open space on the desktop I was able to associate that PTE exe's ran on the hi spec card. That meant I was having to do that each time I switched on the LT. Eventually as I was only using the LT for public AV shows, I set it to only use the hi spec card which meant it did run hotter, but managed to get through a 2 hour session without fault, I had however up-rated the cooling from standard when having it built.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hello Eric

THE problem with this model is that it wont permanently switch.

Apparently it bounces back to integrated if the show is not associated to the graphics.

It may not have enough cooling to run the hi spec graphics full time, luckily mine has.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Snapcam,

I have just received my latest copy of the IAC's magazine. In it there is an article by Howard Gregory describing exactly the same problem with an ASUS N55S. It seems to be a design feature of this machine, and possibly all ASUS laptops. Apparently there is no solution.

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter

Yes that article was originally published in AV News and is the one I have posted above.

However that should not affect,(leaving aside a festival menu),a simple programme I make on the laptop with or without the dedicated graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I should post after all your assistance.

I finally did another system restore then reinstalled PTE on the laptop.

This seems to have resolved the problem but I am at a loss to understand the original cause.

Thanks all who responded.

Snapcam