WnSoft Forums

PTE and Mercalli SAL3 - image stabilization issue

goddi

Hi Gary,

Just to recap on VNX2 (or VNXi).

It is a free software supplied by Nikon with all Cameras and contains the Nikon Movie Editor.

The Movie Editor allows you to Trim (beginning and end).

It also allows you to Cut a section from the Middle of the Video and add a Transition between the start and end of the Cut.

You can create a new video from the Storyboard using multiple clips with transitions.

You can add sound files and text to the output.

Output options are:

File Type: MOV (H.264/AAC)

Size: Up to 1920x1080 (16:9)

Frame Rate: 24, 25, 30, 50, 60 fps

Audio: 48kHz 16 Bit Stereo

I have tried a few options using a 1920x1080 HD original and PTE "likes" them all including the 1920x1080 30 fps version. All run smoothly after conversion by PTE to avi.

DG

P.S. In case you are thinking of upgrading your camera any time soon here are the Video Specs for the D7200:

1920 x 1080: 60p (progressive), 50p, 30p, 25p, 24p; 1280 x 720: 60p, 50p; Actual frame rates for 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, and 24p are 59.94, 50, 29.97, 25, and 23.976 fps respectively, options support both high and normal image quality................

Gary,

In an earlier post you wrote: "The frame rate changed from 23.976 to 29.970.."

That means that the software has changed the frames per second (fps) from 24 to 30. The only way it can do this is to add frames that were never there before. This runs the risk that the overall video may lose a little quality. The analogy with stills would be taking a small image and enlarging it in Photoshop. We all know that there is a limit to how much enlargement you can achieve before the image quality starts to suffer.

One other thought strikes me from the dialogue you've had with Dave: given that he can take MOV files from his Nikon straight into PTE with no problems and you are having problems doing that, are you, perhaps, up against a computer resource issue?

Peter,

I think Dave does is 'not having problems' is that he (I believe) is first running them through the Convert process. I agree with this. If I just run my MOVs through the Convert process, they play smoothly in the Convert window, when trying to do a trim. My concern has been trying to trim them while in the Convert window. The non-converted MOVs, for me, show as jumpy and jerky when played in the Convert window. If I convert the MOV and then bring it back into the Convert window, it plays smoothly in the Convert window for trimming. Maybe it is because my PC is 32 bit, not 64. Not sure if this would make a difference. But when I play my MOVs in WMP or other media players, they play smoothly.

Gary

Gary,

When you create the Movie in VNX2 you can set whatever frame rate you want (from a list).

If you wanted to stay with 24fps (23.xxx) it is an option in the Create Menu. The default is 30fps (29.xxxx).

DG

Dave, Yes, I now realize that I can select the 24fps in VNX2 for my MOVs. I will be sure to select that frame rate.

Thanks...Gary

Just had a look at Ken Rockwell's review of your camera & I wondered what setting you are using to shoot video, remembering that PTE doesn't like HD?....

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

I have had no problems putting HD (1920x1080, 24 fps) from my Nikon D7000 into PTE.

Attached is what an MOV clip's specs looks like.

Gary

post-1794-0-17475900-1425474608_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

I have tried a few options using a 1920x1080 HD original and PTE "likes" them all including the 1920x1080 30 fps version. All run smoothly after conversion by PTE to avi.

As I said in my previous post, PTE doesn't like straight HD, it needs conversion in PTE before adding to a show. This was discovered in May 2012 when I tried to use HD in my show "All the Fun of the Fair". https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xs894ovgbvt5i/All_the_Fun_of_the_Fair_(Revised)

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

I have had no problems putting HD (1920x1080, 24 fps) from my Nikon D7000 into PTE.

Attached is what an MOV clip's specs looks like.

Gary

Hi Gary

The HD clips from your camera that are OK, is that before or after conversion in PTE?

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Gary

The HD clips from your camera that are OK, is that before or after conversion in PTE?

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Yea...I should have added 'after the conversion process'. I had mentioned this before in other postings. My converted MOVs seem to play OK. Pre-converted MOVs don't even play well in the Conversion's preview window. Too jerky to even trim.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Yea...I should have added 'after the conversion process'. I had mentioned this before in other postings. My converted MOVs seem to play OK. Pre-converted MOVs don't even play well in the Conversion's preview window. Too jerky to even trim.

Gary

Gary

That's why PTE was changed so that the conversion process couldn't just be used for trimming.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Gary

That's why PTE was changed so that the conversion process couldn't just be used for trimming.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

I don't think that is a good way to go. If we converted and trimmed a video clip and then wanted to go back and use PTE to trim it a bit more, you'd have to send it through the convert process again. Will that have an effect on the final quality? I don't know but I don't think a re-convert needs to be done. Why not just be able to trim the clip?

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

I don't think that is a good way to go. If we converted and trimmed a video clip and then wanted to go back and use PTE to trim it a bit more, you'd have to send it through the convert process again. Will that have an effect on the final quality? I don't know but I don't think a re-convert needs to be done. Why not just be able to trim the clip?

Gary

Gary

It has been changed so that a PTE converted video gives the best possible results in PTE. As it was previously, trimming a clip with a codec PTE didn't like made PTE look bad, this way it's a win win situation. I seem to remember that the new series will have some work done on video editing. Personally I would like to see selective brightness & contrast. :rolleyes:

Eric

Yachtsman1.