WnSoft Forums

Wild Scotland V10

Almark

Hi folks,

As a reminder; V9 of 'Wild Scotland' won the 2015 UK Photo Harmony Competition, organised by Bridgend Camera Club. The images of that show were taken in 2013, with a Nikon D300/700 and even included one taken on my iPhone4! They included the Glencoe and surrounding districts and the Isle of Skye. All of the images (in V9) were processed in Capture NX2. I jumped ship to the lighter Fuji X-T1 in 2014 and reluctantly have had to learn how to use Lightroom.

I recently re-visited the Glencoe area and was able to get a number of decent images that I thought could replace the weaker ones in V9. Of course; I now notice things in many of the V9 images that I know I could improve on! But one step at a time...

I intend to submit for the DPAGB in Audio Visual in early 2016 and this show (probably @ V15 :unsure: ) will be one of my three submissions, along with my Iceland show (now renamed 'Photographers Paradise and winner of the 2015 NIPA AV Festival), and another new show on India.

As always; I seek your valuable feedback, please be brutal, I promise not to get upset.

Links:

Windows Zip, 42MB, 1920x1200

https://app.box.com/s/fn2ixl3z9vdqldu3ly6or81ejdl428aa

Mac Zip, 42MB, 1920x1200

https://app.box.com/s/qplomd3u9jtcn41jzfg5pnahkyrsmud4

(Please let me know if you have any download problems)

Mark

no problems downloading

very desolate country but must be inhabited as the rr tracks are shiny

imho the slow mo of streams were a bit too slow, but that is just me

how did that one person get to top of that rock and stand long enough for your shot?? )))

too bad there were no more deer

thanks for manual control

thanks

ken

Excellent photography and haunting music. The music I felt didn't quite fit a few of the slides, but possibly a rearrangement to match the more dramatic images with the sound might help there. I really enjoyed the show however, Mark. Beautiful land- and sea-scapes, and as I said, gripping sound, and all clean as a whistle. Thank you.

Can you tell us what the music was, please?

Hi Mark,

The images are great and show the nice empty feeling you must have encountered. I found the slow dissolves did work for some 2 slides and not for others, depending on the two slides. Also with all the slow dissolves, it became a little monotonous.

I agree with cjdnz, that the more dramatic images can go with the dramatic part of the music.

Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

Have watched the show several times now!

Just a suggestion, I think it would be even better if the music and final image fade away at the same time.

Regards

John

Hello Mark

Just came across this and as you ask for comment. I think there could be improvement with the image progression i.e. There is a change from Landscape to graphic stone and frozen water without taking us there first is an example and there is change of mood snow to no snow back to snow or bright sky dark sky bright sky that could be improved with better grouping. Small points that would improve a very nice show. Lastly and this really is lastly in the sequence Drop the last image, the two horizons are so far apart and by taking out one image you improve the ending sequencing with the music. I may sound harsh but if you are using this for DPAGB then it will help.

Beautiful photography as usual.

Hi Snapcam,

You are quite right, I thought I could get away with adding some new photos to an existing show (that worked well). I think a completely new one might work better. When I showed it at my Camera club, folk didn't notice the snow, no snow, on Rannock Moor. I missed the bright sky dark sky myself, I'll have to look at that again. I was thinking of horizons, but as you know when you are focused on one thing the other things can slip by, so many thanks. The last slide was a ten stop version of the first slide, sort of, I had hoped that this would top and tail the show.

Your detailed feedback is most helpful , thank you. I may use this for the DPAGB entry, or go back to the drawing board! The other one I intend to use is the Iceland one, now renamed "Photographers' Paradise" and I will add some narration to the two quieter parts. The 3rd show for the DPAGB is one I am working on now based on images from India. It will also have a script / narration.

• 4 weeks later...

Iceland , Scotland AND India seems a lot for a 15 min maximum I think . Don't give the PAGB panel tooooo much to criticise.

I clearly need your advice, I thought it was three 3 shows with a 15 min max in total. Talk soon.